Summer Jobs..

Mey

Part of the furniture
I've worked for Lloyds for like 5 years odd now, and started when I was 16, I've never had to look for a job in my life. (budget cuts means no extra hours over summer = poor/bored student).

I have a strong background in, Customer Assistance, Cashiring Duties, Typing and Numeracy.

Where do I start?

Marc

FH is my second home
I thought you were in the police force?

Mey

Part of the furniture
Also have a fairly strong sales background, telephone and customer facing.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Employment agency. I put an app in on the off chance the other week and ive got a posting already for next, albeit for only 4 days, it is better than the JSA payment of £50 i would of got.

Mey

Part of the furniture
How do they work, do you just give them a CV and they phone you to go to places?

The only problem I have is that I am unavaiable to work on thursday afternoon and saturday morning (Current job hours) I assume they can/will take this into account?

tris-

Go round every agency and give a CV in, register on their website and phone em every few days to see if they have anything.
go and give them a copy of your passport and bank details and wait for the posts.
Depending nwhat you do, some agencies will give full time jobs. Last year I got a fixed 3 month contract to work in a factory over the summer.

Mey

Part of the furniture
Do you tailor your CV to specific jobs, or do you just give them one that includes everything?!

tris-

Do you tailor your CV to specific jobs, or do you just give them one that includes everything?!

Well depends wht you want to go for? If you only want to consider admin jobs, or sales jobs, put a CV in for that. The one ive just got im not even sure they even looked at it. Someone phoned me up and said "how would you feel about questioning people in a shopping centre" or something, I said OK.

Mey

Part of the furniture
Lol fair play, will get to work on CV then.

Mey

Part of the furniture
Turns out a friends misses is a bar supervisor, result!

Off to get an application for that.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
pfft come to the coast and become an ice cream sales person!..they have cute little kiosks at the beach what more could a guy want.

Everz

FH is my second home
Sign on all the cool kids do

(including me till i can find a job.. )

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Go round every agency and give a CV in, register on their website and phone em every few days to see if they have anything.
go and give them a copy of your passport and bank details and wait for the posts.
Depending nwhat you do, some agencies will give full time jobs. Last year I got a fixed 3 month contract to work in a factory over the summer.

Heres a Tip when dealing with agencies (i'm a headhunter now), never, ever just leave them to work. Call each one you are registered with week-in, week-out just keeping yourself at the forefront of their mind for any available roles.

Also, if you have a poor CV or very little to look at on it, you're much more likely to get a job by walking into OMB's and asking to talk to someone about the job advertised. Many a perfectly good individual has fallen afoul of the anonymous "CV sift".

If you want to earn good money and don't care about long / odd hours (PCSO or Special by the way?), look for shift work - it's always understaffed and hiring as it's a hard to work odd hours for years on end so there is a high staff turnover. It's a start anyway.

Something that might be good if you like working with offenders is the probation service, they offer training course and qualifications (long-term). Failing that there's more than a few private security firms around who hire ex-coppers / specials although i must admit i don't know re: the legalities of it given the recent leglisation changes surrounding 2nd jobs for PC's.

Mey

Part of the furniture
My CV is massive as it is, I've done loads of stuff in my few years.

SC btw

Nate

FH is my second home
Pretend Beach Job imo! Buy a quad, paint it orange and get one of those weird looking bouyancy aids. Then start running/driving around slow-mo, only help babes, or people babes can see and make you look awesome. Job done! Bonus will be dependant on number of kids/sad dads sand castles destroyed, double points for use of quad.

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
My CV is massive as it is, I've done loads of stuff in my few years.

SC btw

I'd look at the insurance companies, see if they're hiring at the moment with that background. The financial services firms should be pretty busy at the moment with everyone trying to figure out how to keep their pensions/savings etc intact in this time of recession.

One thing - rec. agencies are a bit of a double edged sword. Easier to get interviews, but harder to get a job (since you come with a hefty one-time fee attached from the agency to the company so they have to be sure about you to hire), so my advice would be find what you can and apply direct, and tell the agencies where you've been so they don't double-up on your existing work.

Laddey

FH is my second home
If you can sweep, clean and do general handy lad duties then get on at construction agencies, although the construction business is fucked you'll get a labouring job in summer.

Money isn't bad, i was doing it at getting £55 a day.

When the sun is beaming it fucking rocks. You also have a right laugh on site.

I know you never asked for this type of work Mey, im sorry if it is useless to you

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
yeah, anyone know a decent website where i can try and find a weekend job i need to make some decent monies for short hours - as i'm a full time student ;)

doing my GCSE's :)

tris-

Paper round assuming youre in school.

Mey

Part of the furniture
Fast Food industry is about your only bet that age :p

Thugz

Banned
Lifeguard work is great for this. I only worked during the summer for quite a few years. Saved up dosh and then took the winter off! They are always looking for trained lifeguards and not just in this country too. You haven't gotta be that good a swimmer to get your qualifications either. Definitely worth looking into if you are a student. Pretty easy to make a good career out of such too by stepping into leisure services.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
I handed out CVs looking for anything (Apart from fast food) part time really. No one got back to me/was hiring. Fail.

Toht, donate me one of your jobs? I need something to do, or I'll end up forcing myself to learn PHP and ASP for next year.

Can't complain though, summer to blow nearly 2k. Heh.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I handed out CVs looking for anything (Apart from fast food) part time really. No one got back to me/was hiring. Fail.

Toht, donate me one of your jobs? I need something to do, or I'll end up forcing myself to learn PHP and ASP for next year.

Can't complain though, summer to blow nearly 2k. Heh.

Righto, go to your local pub...the name eludes me...and ask for a job.

Off you go *waves hand*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom