Suggestions for a 17" TFT

Clown

Part of the furniture
I just bought an LG 1710B or something... lets hope it doesn't suck too much.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
SawTooTH said:
I own an NEC 1760NX and use DVI with it and its quite good for gaming (UT2004 etc).
I havent tried Hitachi but they are reckoned to be similar in performance. You wont get better than a CRT at the end of the day whatever you buy but the space saving of a TFT makes up for it imo. You may want to reconsider if you want hi res though as they are limited.

Yeh, the Hitachi and NEC use exactly the same panel.

As for the CRT point, I prefer my CRT for gaming over my Iiyama VM Pro 450. Ok, there is a response time on the TFT (which i don't notice at all) but the TFT is so much brighter, colours are more vibrant / brighter, the geometry is perfect and the picture is a lot sharper than the CRT. I couldn't go back to CRT gaming even if I was paid.

G

Clown

Part of the furniture
Big G said:
Yeh, the Hitachi and NEC use exactly the same panel.

As for the CRT point, I prefer my CRT for gaming over my Iiyama VM Pro 450. Ok, there is a response time on the TFT (which i don't notice at all) but the TFT is so much brighter, colours are more vibrant / brighter, the geometry is perfect and the picture is a lot sharper than the CRT. I couldn't go back to CRT gaming even if I was paid.

G
You just contradicted yourself. What?

old.user4556

I meant TFT :p

Should read "I prefer my TFT for gaming".

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
I dunno if I agree with you on this one. I see my sons 19 inch Mitsubishi Diamondtron (?) CRT monitor and it looks more vibrant to me. Though I believe the tube is actually a Sony rebadged so it should be good I suppose.

old.user4556

Kinda, the Diamondtron is a Mitsubishi (cba spelling properly) tube similar to Sony's Trinitron (similar where the three guns are aligned in a line to allow a flat tube) and is the same tube in the Iiyama VM Pro 450. Some people still prefer CRTs, but imo the Hitachi TFT has a flawless picture in comparison to my old CRT.

It's down to opinion I guess, I've not looked back since I moved to TFT :).

G

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Hay fellows. I am now after a 17" TFT myself also. Has the market changed at all since March? I can't find any definitive source for guidance and stuff.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
You might want to read through this thread.
Samsung's new TFTs are said to be good, with 12ms response time.

I'm using a Hyundai ImageQuest Q17 and have since forgotten about CRTs!
It had good reviews and is living up to the hype, I'll probably buy another in a couple of months, or might try a Samsung to compare the two.

you can find both monitors here

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom