Suggest a PC/PS2 game?

Damini

Part of the furniture
I'll admit it. I'm very old school, and lack the dexterity for most skill games, and lack the courage for games like Silent Hill and Resident Evil, much as I love watching them played ("No, I refuse to enter that room. I know that the terrible sound eminating from it is a bad sign. I'll just wait here. Throw down the controller. Have a cup of tea."

I can't multitask. I'm the only person I know who actually found out the hard way that you could lose in Black and White. My idea of a good game is Discworld (no, Xane, STILL not completed it!), Broken Sword (though the last one was so bad it gave me rage), Monkey Islands, and that Indiana Jones game where you had to get to Atlantis (I think).

So, I'm stuck for a new game to play, and was wondering if you have any suggestions. I don't mind raiding the past for some game I might have missed when it was new, and I don't mind trying something different as long as it doesn't make too great demands on my limited resources of logic, hand eye co-ordination, or doesn't make me jump too much (sometimes these days when I watch jumpy horror films, I actually think they make my heart hurt a little. Perhaps it's just old age, or perhaps I should worry more about this.)

Please don't give me a game where you have to time and jump, and do this repeatedly for nineteen minutes before reaching anywhere where you can save, because these games make me vomit blood, and cry lava.

Any suggestions (other than crawl back into a Spectrum ZX where you belong, loser girl?)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Neverwinter Nights? Feel like waving an axe about, or shooting fireballs at undead skellington warriors? Dragons? Giants?

-or-

Darwinia? You can get that via Steam even.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
For point n click stuff (as you listed the games above) get yourself scummvm, and then get some of the lucasarts classics. Day Of The Tentacle, Full Throttle, Sam n Max Hit The Road... all of those old ones are great.

If you want to be more up to date though I think Syberia/Syberia 2 are right up your street. Very mellow, sedate point n clicks and very pretty to look at. The Longest Journey is also worth a play through.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
I seem to remember you taking a (partial?) liking to Ico, Damini. Thus I'd suggest waiting a short while for its "spiritual successor"; Shadow of the Colossus (PS2).

You may also enjoy Fahrenheit (PS2). It starts out Resident Evil-esque, but quickly moves into a kind of pseudo-prophetic end-of-the-world scenario in which you decide the fate of things. The biggest selling point for it, was the novel way in which you guide the characters, which simply involved using the pad in a similar way to button bashing sports games.

*Thinks of a few others...*

xane

Fledgling Freddie
If you do want to play "classic" adventures on Windows XP, the best way is use the ScummVM utility which will work with most of the LucasArts games (DoTT, Sam and Max, Indy Jones series, Monkey Island series, etc) and some others.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Grim Fandango is probably the best modern (1998) iteration of the classic Lucas Arts adventures. And iirc, it doesn't require tomfoolery with ScummVM.

Though an older adventure game I liked outside of Lucas Arts was Simon The Sorcerer. I intend to pick it up again someday.

Damini

Part of the furniture
I loved Neverwinter Nights and Ico. Farenheit sounds... a little scary. I'm not as massive a pansy as I make myself sound, I just have strong self preservation habits that extend in game - hence refusing to enter rooms full of zombies, or places where the walls bleed.

I downloaded scummvm a while back, but I'm having issues getting it to work. Syberia sounds cool - I haven't heard of any of these games at all. What's Fable and Darwinia like? Kenny views games with a total disdain if there is zero potential to own a magnum in it, or a rocket launcher, so I have to nudge outside the house for game advice.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Damini said:
I'm not as massive a pansy as I make myself sound, I just have strong self preservation habits that extend in game - hence refusing to enter rooms full of zombies, or places where the walls bleed.

It's only really right at the beginning in which there's a bit of blood through a murder. No zombies or bleeding walls. :)

Damini

Part of the furniture
:touch: I suck at minesweeper. It requires logic and patience. Spider solitaire though... <3

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Retro side scrolling beat em ups! lol.
Streets of Rage 2 and 3, alltime classics.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I to would suggest Scummvm and certainly Simon the Sorcerer. You say you're having problems getting it to run. I'll go out on a limb and assume that it could be the copy of the game you have that's not working properly.

You can usually find a good zip file of all the files you'll need with a quick googlely-woo.

Damini

Part of the furniture
Is Destroy All Humans any good? I quite liked the advertisement for it, but I'm a notoriously bad judge on these things. I once bought Captain Hook white wine because it had a pirate on the bottle, and rented Mysterious Skin because I thought it was a quirky romantic comedy, and thought The Erotic Witch Project was like a Police Academy spoof, and... well, you get the idea. I also bought Beyond Divinity for the PC, and that was so appalling that I actually wrote hate mail on the forums. I require other people's opinions, because mine aren't to be trusted.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
A fair review of DAH: http://ps2.gamespy.com/playstation-2/destroy-all-humans/628717p1.html

Use destructive weapons and innate mental powers to take on the most feared enemy in the galaxy - Mankind! Play as Crypto, an alien warrior sent to Earth to clear the way for the Furon invasion force.Your mission is to infiltrate humanity, control them, harvest their brain stems and ultimately destroy them. You choose the method - infiltration or disintegration! Arm yourself with a variety of alien weaponry on land or in the air. Use the Ion Detonator, the Zap-O-Matic, the Sonic Boom, or even the Quantum Deconstructor to eradicate feeble humans. Explore and interact with 5 huge environments using an arsenal of alien abilities to manipulate humans into submission: hypnotize, body-snatch, read minds, levitate and more. Take to the skies in your UFO, abduct animals, cars, and humans for research, or cause large-scale destruction.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
One game I enjoyed was Normality, but I am unsure if it would work on XP.

Also, I just found out Gobliins is compatable with ScummVM !

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Darwinia is a cool game, but it requires a bit of multi-tasking, and there are only a few levels.

Nedo

Fledgling Freddie
Jagged Alliance series? :) HMM series? Both very nice imo. OLD games but still good hehe

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Damini said:
Any suggestions (other than crawl back into a Spectrum ZX where you belong, loser girl?)

Why not go for a Spectrum emulator ? Alternatively check out RetroSpec who do revised and PC version (without needing an emulator) for classic Home Computer games.

Damini

Part of the furniture
I have a spectrum emulator already. It was, in fact, the first thing I installed when I got my brand new, high spec PC with flat screen monitor and all the caboodle. Oh, how Kenny sighed in despair.

Damini

Part of the furniture
Yeah, I played Uru, and got hopelessly baffled by the puzzle bit where you have to rotate these instruments, and haven't played it since. Up until then, I loved it. Might dig it out again when (if) I have a brainy day.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
simple games that require a little thought, though not always and are quite fun -

Morrowind
Myst box set
Fable
Destroy all humans
FF7 (for the pc, off ebay)
Dungeon siege

soz if they have all been said :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom