Subscription PRAISE !

T

Tilda

Right.

About 5 Months ago I brought Planetside.
I thought it a little odd at the time that they needed my CC details just for my free month.
So i ve had one email from them telling me my password.

I discovered today that they've billed me for the last 5 months and my accout is still active.
So from them ive got no email saying that they have renewed my subscription 5 months in a row without me saying so.
It strikes me as a little out of order that they can just take cash like that with no contact.
Ok I understand that i pressed the "OK" button but imho them just taking cash when i havent played since the free month is a little cheeky.

Where as with DAoC, I get an email telling me when my account expires.
I get an email when i renew my account and I get an email when my account terminates.
They dont "auto-renew" my account untill I tell them not to, they allow me to play until my time runs out and then make me renew rather than just assuming im still playing and taking my money. A few more sensible arrangement imo.

SWG is the same but now i know the system its ok.

Has anybody else got caught out by this?

Tilda

S

Sharp Thing

you mean when the subs are actually up?!

L

-Lonewolf-

Same thing happen to me Tilda

But GOA subscriptions and accounting still can blow my goat

P

Pin

I wonder... Do people actually read the agreements they sign when they click the 'OK' button?

V

Vegy

It actually says when installing that if you no longer want to get billed you must cancel your account

T

Tilda

Originally posted by Pin
I wonder... Do people actually read the agreements they sign when they click the 'OK' button?

nope :(

O

old.Tohtori

Originally posted by Sharp Thing
you mean when the subs are actually up?!

*laughs*

Oh my, someone reads subs and therre we go.

O

old.Adrira

Exactly the same thing here.

Bought it, quickly got bored, cancelled account (or so i thought), after numerous 'mystical billings' and abit of looking into it, it proved that SOE had been billing me for last 3 months.

I logged in as station subscriber again and checked around. I found the cancel account button, but couldn't get it cancelled.
So i wrote an email to SOE explaining my problem and that i'd like them to cancel both accounts (was paying for a friend aswell).

In a few days i got an email back saying they were sorry about the mixup but no refunding, and that they had cancelled my account(s).
Then, 3 days after the email i got billed for one more month again, but after contacting them they gave the last month subscrip back. :p

Oh and no, i'm also terribly bad at reading EULA and such when i'm eager to try out a newly bought game. :p

L

living

You should read what u accept be4 u ever hit OK when it involves money :>

C

Cyfr

Im always worried something like this would happen to me, so I enterd incorrect credit card details for the free trial. I figured if its free they won't check ;)

D

Draylor

What do you expect if your daft enough to give a credit card number without reading what your agreeing to?

Fools and their money are soon parted :p

J

Jonaldo

I started Planetside, got bored after about 6 weeks so cancelled by pushing the cancel button on the account pagee with no problems whatsoever. Don't see how anyone can go wrong with it as it's a pretty simple procedure.

I think all games put you automatically on monthly renew unless stated otherwise. I've not seen a game that doesn't and I'm sure DAoC did for me when I started as I don't remember renewing manually or paying for large blocks of time.

L

-Lonewolf-

Because all and I say ALL games do not bill you following the 30 day free trial Planetside is the only game to date that actually does that

Hence the reason most people did not hit the cancel button they just assumed the free trial would end and the account closed

I don't really care as it was my fault as not to check but then again I have lots of money

O

old.Jable

Originally posted by -Lonewolf-
Same thing happen to me Tilda

But GOA subscriptions and accounting still can blow my goat

im up after the goat.

:m00:

O

old.Ramas

I've never had any issues whatsoever with the SOE system.

If I'm just lucky then /shrug.

However, an equally good comparison (for the sake of setting reasonable expectations) would be any other web commerce site.

When was the last time amazon failed to allow you to charge your credit card?

Or said 'sorry we cannot process your order becvause your previous order is still active'.

As for the email, I may be wrong, but wouldn't be surprised if the difference is between EU and US law. Either way, personally I wouldn't be surprised if I filled out a form where I select a 'charge me every month' option (which you have to actually do on the SOE system) if I then get charged every month until I cancel.

As an only slightly related aside, I gather that SOE have turned back on all closed Planetside accounts for this week only. So if you had an account you can try it again for free this week (presumably an effort to recapture subscribers before the expansion).

I do know of people who didn't get the email about this - so if you have a closed account it might be worth clicking on the planetside icon. If want to play PS that is.

Users who are viewing this thread