Stupid question.

W

Wilier

I doubt it will, but will resistance run on-line through 56k? Or had I may as well piss in the wind

G

Gumbo

If the rest of your computer's pretty good it'll probably be ok if there's not too many people playing.

On my isdn I have no problems at all up to about 10 people, any more than that and it degrades pretty badly.

As plenty of the missions are for four people or less, you should be alright on those, at a guess. Unfortunately it's probably one of those suck it and see issues.

W

Will

With the old netcode, I'd have said not a chance.

With this netcode, I can't promise anything. You will be able to connect and play, but you do get missions very slowly, and I don't know how playable it will be at your end.

E

exxxie

Sluh and Goom from #ra both play/used to play OFP on 56k... its entirely playable! ... you just need to be a lot better shot than the cable/dsl hoes :)

T

TeeCee

After enjoying the cable modem luxury lifestyle for 2 years, I was thrown back into the chaotic world of 56k for a couple of months until 3 weeks ago when I regained my LPB status.
During this time I played a lot of OFP and OFP:R because it was simply too damned good to go without! I had a shitey modem, a naff phone line, pap ISP and a ping in Quake etc of 400 (!). However, one of the few games that were tolerant to this was in fact, believe it or not, OFP:R ! :)
Without the luxury of BW OFP:R servers back then, [TF]Manta was usually hosting over cable to serve upto 5 of us for small co-op games. On paper my pings were awful, 600+ but I still played on rarely dropping and getting some good kills. However, I wouldnt recommend DirectPlay at all, go with the Sockets if you are going to give it a whirl.
Whilst you will be seeing events a second or 2 behind everyone else, whats really nice with the new netcode is that if you shoot a ruskie on your screen and get what your client see's as a hit - it WILL register the hit and bag you that frag (altho it will sometimes catch up on the fact about 2 seconds after!). Ppl may warp around too and everything wont be fab smooth, but believe me its do-able - certainly if you got the hunger to play :D Woo, I still managed to rack up the kills!
The limitation tho really is larger games / # of players /# of enemies / mission detail - get a hectic mission or above 8 players and the modem's bandwidth simply gets whammed full - so larger co-op games and so forth, prolly not worth bothering. Still tho, nothing stopping you joining in the BW coop servers most nights when theres a handful of us on there!

See ya on the server hpefully and GL,

[TF]TeeCee

B

bigfoot

Finally got yer forum account working TeeCee :clap:

T

TeeCee

Yea ta - I think it was bifta human error cuz Im told I shud have been sent an e-mail to confirm my account.
Although dont explain why I cud post before, and why having recreated my alias I can now post again (still with no email and a correct address in place).
Cheers to all for hassle anyways :)

[TF]TeeCee

/me expects to get flooded by 50 odd BW emails tommora :}

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom