Help stumped

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
need help from the geeks

Atm my network at home is setup so my PC is the gateway and i have a switch off it that the other PCs in the house connect to.

I'm getting annoyed that my connection is suffering now and seeing as i pay for the line and being nice and letting the rest of the house use it i feel like i am wasting money now.

Is there a way that i can pinch the line on my PC so i have have more of the speed and limit the others to their usage?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
tbh I'd look about and see if you can find a router that does that. meaning that your pc would n't have to be on all the time to let the others on the web. failing that, you'll have to acquire bandwidth limiting software and run it across the internet sharing interface you've made.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Man up and tell everyone else who wants to use it to fucking pay for it or steal a neighbours wirless.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Man up and tell everyone else who wants to use it to fucking pay for it or steal a neighbours wirless.

Yeah tried that, everything is then fine for a few days and everyone just goes back to the way they were by the weekend.

I'll look into other software. I do have another PC that i was planning on putting Windows Server on and running the network through that

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Cut them off until they make a contribution, then get a faster connection?

Fweddy

FH is my second home
Tell them you can't afford to pay for internet for everyone any more. If they haven't given you money within a week unplg all their computers and tell them you had to cancel it. Then surf in peace.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Rest the bottom of the leg of your chair (or caster if it has them) on top of the ethernet cable to the other machines. When you sit on the chair it will slow their data down, like a hose.

Honest!!!

:)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I'm surprised anyone ever listens to what you have to say jup!

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
tbh I'd look about and see if you can find a router that does that. meaning that your pc would n't have to be on all the time to let the others on the web. failing that, you'll have to acquire bandwidth limiting software and run it across the internet sharing interface you've made.
Take this option. Make sure it's one where you can limit the connections speed and also limit connections full stop, i.e. block a specific PC. Then institute the "pay to use" with the others and if they don't, simply block their PC at the router.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
They are my best mates tho so dont want to go down the picky route of demanding cash

Just be a sneaky bugger and limit them a little

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
They are my best mates tho so dont want to go down the picky route of demanding cash

Just be a sneaky bugger and limit them a little

If they were your mates then they would not be free loading off you. Get a router, set it up so only certain ips/macs can access the connection and block the ones who do not contribute.

Who said that?

What cho talking bout?

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Get a Buffalo WHR-G54S.

Flash it with the open source dd-wrt firmware and you can set it up a pay as you go access point. Money goes direct into your paypal account and automatically cuts them off when their time runs out. You can allocate a fixed amount of bandwidth to the paid for side of things so you can keep the majority free for yourself.

Failing that just use the superb QoS stuff built in and throttle their IP's/MAC's.

Get one off ebay. Bargain bit of kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom