Rant Student debt

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
Hey guys, need some help (i know some of you are legal bod's).

My fiance has been contacted by a Solicitor at our old UK address, asking for money on a Masters Degree by which she didn't attend. She never went to the course and stupidly only told her Tutor at the time she would not be attending.

The tutor, which up until now, has been fine but won't return our calls or emails. Apparently the solicitors have asked him and the University not to speak to us.

What can I do to help fix this and get these worms off our back?
She has no job now, since moving country and does not have any form of savings. Can they write it off?

(note - they called my mobile which is still registered as UK, but I haven't said what country we are now in.)

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Has it been more than 6 years?
If so then the loan should be written off as 'statute barred' as long as there has been no contact in that time. Engage a solicitor of your own to write them a "fuck off" letter.

If it's been less than six years then has your fiance EVER admitted liability for the debt at all to the uni or the solicitors? I hope she hasn't so that she can continue to challenge it. Rule #1 is do NOT talk to them on the phone and DO make sure every communication is in writing.

It sounds to me from the little you've mentioned that the 6 year limit is approaching and the uni has engaged these solicitors in an attempt to locate your fiance and reopen communication to "stop the clock".

The worst case scenario is that the solicitors find your address and serve notice that they are taking it to county court. In that case then you have options. The one thing you must NOT do in this case is ignore it! If you don't have much in the way of income then you can probably get a solicitor on your side under legal aid but the rules have changed in the last year so I don't know what the criteria are now.

It is possible that they issue an offer outside the court system to settle the case for a reduced payment. It is entirely up to you guys what to do in that case.

My unofficial advice is go get an appointment with a solicitor who knows about loans and financial law and have your free hour. :)

Gumbo

FH is my second home
stupidly only told her Tutor at the time she would not be attending.

What was the correct procedure to withdraw from the course, or had she already committed?

It seems to me that, on here at least, you're admitting the debt exists because of your girlfriends stupidity.

But it's alright, people don't have to pay their debts anymore, they can just find some way to weasel out of them can't they? I mean what possible consequences could failure to repay debt have for the world?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom