Help Student accomodation in/around London

Syri

FH is my second home
I'm going to be starting at the University of Westminster in September, but I've ended up with a bit of a dilemma. I thought I had the accommodation sorted, as I'd applied for a room in halls, but also had an offer of a room with a friend as a backup. The problem is that I didn't get in the halls, and now the room with my friend is looking like it won't be available either.
Basically, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of anywhere to find out about budget student accommodation within easy reach of Westminster. As I don't know yet what other money I will have, I'm looking based on the maintenance grant and loan at the moment. I've worked out that I should be able to aim for somewhere in the region of £125 a week, while still allowing some money for travel, food and other expenses.
If anyone can recommend any good websites or anything, it would be much appreciated. I've been looking around, but there's a lot out there, so some recommendations could help prevent me from making a bad choice.

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned
Bad choice, shit hole and I hope your not white ( I dropped out midway through 2nd year)

For a start what campus? with that budget I take it Harrow? If it's harrow, ul prob get in the halls by Nov just get on the waiting list, loads drop out ... if not, accommodation is cheap (ul soon find out why).

easyroommate.com, facebook, gumtree .

If it's marylebone new cav or regent, look at tufnell park, they got a big student apartments there my mate stayed out. Otherwise for that budget you are looking east London and stratford.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
The uni itself should have some sort of department that can help you find accomodation off-campus

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
why would that matter?

It shouldn't matter, everyone is equal and groups of people talk to people of their own ethnicity for safety, but if you approach them, they're the nicest people, just a bit shy :)

wtf, hang on, im racist, i forgot, EDL! :england:

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Have you tried the general University of London accomodation? My girlfriend went QMUL and diddn't get campus accomodation, ended up in the UoL russell square halls.

Cheap, free food and internet. Worth a look!

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned
The uni itself should have some sort of department that can help you find accomodation off-campus
They do, but it's shit and worthless.

why would that matter?
Because he will have a hard time making friends. And unless he wants to be friends with gangster pakis that queue outside the pray rooms. After playing PS3 by the canteen and talking kiddulthood lines, its quite shit for a social life.

Harrow (media) is pretty decent, only campus and only part of the uni I would bother with. Area 51 is shit though, so ul have to make your way to Tiger Tiger on Mondays to bag some vag and get the 1hr 20mins night bus back.

I went to central campus and lived in the harrow halls (cos its cheap) and I use to crash at mates places in Tufnell park and further north - Jew town.

We all wished we went to Notts uni though, cheaper, more fun / party's and far more student like. Suppose if you aren't from London or haven't lived there, it will be an experience, but an expensive one if you have no family there.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
if anyone has trouble making friends at uni then they must be socially retarded tbh

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned
if anyone has trouble making friends at uni then they must be socially retarded tbh
You would think that, but central campus's at Westminster suck and not being in halls is a disadvantage. I didn't have much problems though but consider my self lucky. We had a saying in our group of friends, we only met each other because we were the only white kids on campus and it's true.

I've been to many other uni's partying etc and their awesome .... wmin is the most anti social uni around and it's almost racist to White Brits .... It prides its self in being the largest international uni (taken from the website)

Notts, Cardiff and brum is prob the most social and party crazy unis I've ever been to.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
lol....! GJ this is not a politically correct forum :D

Ormorof

FH is my second home
I went to visit a friend studying at Westminister uni, he was living in Seven Sisters, we went to two pubs, the first pub we stayed for about 20 seconds, i am foreign, he is from Tanzania and his mate with us was a pakistani... and there seemed to be an English Defence League gathering taking place so we quickly bailed...

second pub was incredible, some sort of jamaican bar, only one guy in there sitting at the bar, turned out he was the owner and he gave us free beer, was a great night :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I would never have studied in London. When you haven't got a pot to piss in, your (lack of) money goes a damn sight further up north. (I did have a hankering for the LSE but only as a post-grad).

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Elephant & Castle/Camberwelll would be a good place to look.

Also, my cousin is white and goes to Westminster and loves it.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Silly Gimmley, quite Asian in westminister it's true, but some outrageous crap being spoken. Gaffer is correct though, avoid london unis unless loaded

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned
Silly Gimmley, quite Asian in westminister it's true, but some outrageous crap being spoken. Gaffer is correct though, avoid london unis unless loaded
Because you've been a student at wmin and lived in the halls for 2 years in a row? And lived on and been to different campuses? Or you just talking bollocks about nothing you know about? And I repeat, Harrrow campus and halls is not bad and it's like a completely different uni to central and especially new Cavendish ... It's also not me with this opinion, almost everyone I met that was White and semi normal in the 2 years of going to the uni had exactly same impression. Even my black brit friends I met at the uni had the same opinion ....

And don't even call me to racist to Asians, because I think you might get my Asian GF thinking bad stuff .......

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yes I have. I was on campus at harrow and had friends at the central campus.

My cousin then went to central campus after me and I used to go out and about with him and his friends. So I'm speaking from as much experience as you. You just are clearly shit at making friends.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Let's see, my firends were - White Welsh lad, white Scottish lass, white Greek guy, while Brit guy, associates where black, asian and greek. My course had a big mix of colours.

My cousins circle of friends was black, asian and greek.

Give over Gimmley, it's the same as any other place in a big city. You'll have some people stick to large racial groups, but the people you want to know will be in mixed groups. If you don't realize that, then that is your own hangup.

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned
Yes I have. I was on campus at harrow and had friends at the central campus.

My cousin then went to central campus after me and I used to go out and about with him and his friends. So I'm speaking from as much experience as you. You just are clearly shit at making friends.
So exactly what I said then, Harrow is fine? Having friends at central campus doesn't mean much, I lived at Harrow halls and went to New Cavendish. So I did experience both, my flatmates were at Harrow and my mates were at New Cavendish. I actually met my mates because we were the only white people around at new Cavendish freshers, and spotted each other a mile off. I could probably find my class list in an old e-mail of about 150 people, ul spot 2 English names, one being mind. Rest being Patel, Sharma and what not ....

And with out being big headed, I've always been popular, had too many friends then I called friends and been the life and sole of most house party's. I was a typical student, always out getting pissed and have a laugh. If I was slightly social inapt I would dread to think how the social life would of been.

Harrow (media) isn't bad and there's where 80% of the "real Brits" study, New Cavendish (engineering / sci) is fucking god awful.

I'm simply telling it how it is, it's a fucking god awful uni and you will feel like you are in Bangladesh. As I said, even the black guys hanged out with us because they felt intimated by the West asian population. The last 3 years has been the worse also, as they are losing money and international students have to pay a shit load ... so guess what the business plan is?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
why do you live in asia if you hate asians so much?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Wow, you are so far up your arse it's unreal. On ignore you go gimlet, can't be arsed with selective reading idiots like you.

Best of luck syri, ignore gimmley, but try and go to a non London uni if you can change at all still. You'll come out the other end with far less debt.

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned
Wow, you are so far up your arse it's unreal. On ignore you go gimlet, can't be arsed with selective reading idiots like you.

Best of luck syri, ignore gimmley, but try and go to a non London uni if you can change at all still. You'll come out the other end with far less debt.
Selective reading what exactly? You went to Harrow which is barely Greater London and full of white Brits studying media? And "you had friends that went to central campus" well whoopy-do, there's 3 central campus and all are quite different, but I actually studied there.

Would you like me to make a facebook group and hear the same story 20x?

why do you live in asia if you hate asians so much?
I don't, I love Asians but I'm not a fan of West Asians and especially the ones you will see at wmin that call them self British. The type you see at Wembley with hoodys, ghetto walk and talk like an extra from Kiddulthood. Just like I hate white British chavs, all the same but wmin seems to be full of the Indian/Paki type. Google if you wish.

But yes call me racist when I live in Asia, have an Asian GF, have Asian friends and learnt to speak an Asian Language.

ileks

Part of the furniture
Asians always stick together in massive groups like that. Gimmly's advice is not exactly sugar coated but it's the sort of thing you want to know if you are going to spend 3 or 4 years studying there if you're honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom