stuck on "wait for server"

V

vaenom

When I try to connect to a game.net server it gets to wait for server and doesn't do anything. I've waited for a long time, but the little green box that moves from side to side isn't exactly a fun gaming experience. Can anyone help? please? don't make me use the support form!
I can connect ok if kornholio hosts the game on his warp 9.2 connection, but other public servers do the same thing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
insert huge and annoying picture here

T

TeeCee

> "When I try to connect to a game.net server ..."
> " but other public servers do the same thing."

So firstly just to confirm it isn't just Game.net servers? (as this helps clear up one aspect of the diagnosis before we go hacking our servers to pieces).

Also, have you tried connecting whilst the server is both empty and busy mid-game? Be aware around wednesday/thursday last week the new maps were going up and I discovered with a temporary fault the new maps in the rotation were causing the above problem (now fixed). I am aware we do have 1 or 2 faulty maps (due to missing addons etc) so if you are unfortunate to join whilst this map is 'active' on the empty servers rotation I cant be 100% sure what will happen - I will look at removing problematic missions soon.

However, if you cant connect to any other public servers then theres something bigger afoot. As much of a pain as it is, a reinstall is usually the answer - just remember to back up your /mpmissions , /missions , /addons folders and any missions under production in /users/missions if you are an editor.

I cant recall where you live in relation to Korn, you arent sharing on a LAN are you? That could also lead us down the route of firewall issues etc. You're on a modem as well I recall - I know this sounds like obvious stuff but check your connection is set to 56k modem in the multiplayer window of OFP. You could also try deleting your config files if you cant be bothered with the reinstall option yet. And finally, I guess you are on version 1.90 or later? :)

Write back or pop in #game.ofp on IRC and Im sure someone will be able to inject some ideas - or maybe someone else has shared your problem before.

TC.

K

*Kornholio*

It's a weird one coz he's been able to connect to it before... it just seems intermittant. Like you say, could have been mid game, or perhaps his IP hadn't been updated or something... We can sort it this afternoon for today's game :)

V

vaenom

I tried reinstalling, it didn't work.
Everything is set up right, and I tried connecting between games and it did the same thing. I tried connecting earlier with 8 people on the server, and again with 3 people.
I don't think its a problem with the server because it did work once, and its not a problem on my end because some servers work all the time. That leaves btinternet to blame...

K

*Kornholio*

Could this have anything to do with having recently installed Win XP ?? It's still weird that he can connect to my server when I host, but not to any public servers... The XP firewall is switched off, so it's not that...

T

TeeCee

You should have no problem with Win XP, Im using it myself and generally OFP is very stable (compared to my experiences on other Win flavours).

Does Vaenom connect to you over the Internet as well, or we talking LAN gaming when you 2 hook up? Can you think of *any* differences between the setup or procedures that take place when connecting to you as opposed to other servers? What is yours and his versions? I know he said he reinstalled, but curious as to what your server version is.

Sometime we will have to arrange a time to connect to BW #1 so I can see if any "Vaenom COnnecting..." messages are displayed to see if ANY communication is getting through.

Bit of a puzzler this :|

K

*Kornholio*

It is indeed... The only difference I can think of is that when I host, it's not a dedicated server... he connects to my pc over the internet, not lan. I'm running XP too - no problems here. I've been on BW 1 when he's been trying to connect & there are no "Vaenom Connecting" messages.

My brain hurts... big night last night :puke:

W

Will

I've searched all my usual sources, and I'm drawing a blank on this one. It could be a sockets vs Directplay thing...is Vaenom running through a router or anything like that?

W

Will

If it is only GAME.net publics, then it probably is the IP updating thing. If it is any public, I'm running out of ideas.

V

vaenom

The same thing happens on rtcw public servers, it just stays on wait for challenge. I had a similar problem on some battlefield 1942 servers, but not all of them. They all kicked me for having a 56k anyway ;-)
The only thing I've changed is installing xp, the other possibility is btinternet changing something. If they have, they're keeping it very quiet, but it wouldn't suprise me considering the level of customer service I've had in the past.

W

Will

It sounds like your WinXP install has b0rked your modem in some way.

D

Deady

What server browser are you using?

Sometimes the ports can get messed up and you wont be connecting to the right one.

Try using ASE, and if that fails, try the ingame browser.

Also, check that GAME.NET do have your CORRECT ip when you log in. When i log in via the webpage, it picks up the IP of NTL's webcache. I have to find out what my real ip is and reenter it on the site.

V

vaenom

I've tried various ways of connecting, including ase, the in game browser and putting the server ip in the command line.
game.net is getting my ip right.

Users who are viewing this thread