Stuck Accelerator

Dweller

Fledgling Freddie
This story on the beeb, caught my eye: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/hampshire/5094840.stm

Is there anyway that could happen, or is the guy talking a load of rubbish ?

I don't know that much about cars, beyond the basics, but I don't understand how his accelerator getting stuck would prevent him from putting the car in neutral ?!?

It also seems dodgy how all of this could have happened, while subsequent examinations of his car found no defects, according to the police.

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Dweller said:
I don't know that much about cars, beyond the basics, but I don't understand how his accelerator getting stuck would prevent him from putting the car in neutral ?!?

Did you even read the link you posted?

BBC said:
The lorry driver had said he began to panic when its brakes started to fail and he was unable to put the automatic BMW 318 car in neutral.

On the other hand, just look at the guy.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Dweller said:
This story on the beeb, caught my eye: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/hampshire/5094840.stm

Is there anyway that could happen, or is the guy talking a load of rubbish ?

It also seems dodgy how all of this could have happened, while subsequent examinations of his car found no defects, according to the police.

He claims the gearbox wouldn't let him select neutral (it was an automatic).Wierd thing is, he phoned the police to say he couldn't stop the car which is hardly the act of a raving speed demon; the brakes worked and that kept him down to about 70, but then they started to burn out and his speed shot up. Its all a bit odd; its was an old (R-reg) BMW so the throttle linkage is mechanical, as is the gearbox, so I can't think of a physical way both the gearbox could lock and the throttle linkage get stuck at the same time, other than extreme coincidence. Maybe the guy's just a fantasist. Or maybe the Gremlins got him.

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Seems like there's a longer story about it here. And I may have misunderstood what you meant with that question - it says on this link that "the gears jammed", but whatever.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Not the first time i've heard of a beemer auto box jamming in drive, a lot of them get jammed in park when stationary.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The guy is a lying cock. All he had to do was turn the ignition off. Problem solved.

old.user4556

I thought about that Tom, but then there would be no brake or power steering assist.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Big G said:
I thought about that Tom, but then there would be no brake or power steering assist.

and it would lock the stearing wheel - wouldn't it ?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
No it wouldn't lock the wheel until you removed the key from the barrel.

Plus you don't need steering or brake assist unless you have the strength of a foetus.

old.user4556

Indeed, but at an alleged 130 mph - i'd be a bit nervous on turning the engine off myself.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
He was doing 130mph because he was worried about a speeding charge IMO, not because his engine was out of control. 130mph in a 1.8 is a bit of a claim as well.

All that happens when you turn the engine off at that speed is that you experience engine braking. Its just like removing your foot from the accelerator. Power steering input is minimal at those speeds anyway.

IMO, hes lying his arse off.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
tbh I agree with Tom here. that guy has all the presence of mind of a beetroot: alarm lights on, engine off, on the emergency lane, car coasts gently to a halt. then you call the AA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom