Stubborn DAOC with Radeon

N

)nick(

I've got two Radeon cards. One 9700 NP and a 9600 PRO. Both of these cards have the following problem:

When I run DAOC it ALWAYS reverts to the reflective water and high detailed shadows setting. I've checked if any of the daoc files are read-only and non of them are. I had fixed it somehow but I recently installed a new version (cat 3.8) and the problem returned. Then I reverted back to the older version and the problem persists.

Help!

F

FoXeH

I had a Radeon 9200 and the exact same thing happend.
I upgraded to a Radeon 9600 and the exact same thing still happens. :p
If you find a way to stop it, please tell!
Very annoying! :mad:

N

)nick(

Which version of the drivers worked for you? I have tried all kinds of combinations, including some of the omega ones, and nothing seems to work anymore.

It's extremely frustrating. There must be more people out there with radeon cards and who have the same problem.

The 9700 is a Club 3d card and the 9600 PRO is a Saphire card.

F

FoXeH

The drivers got rid of them problem were the ones on the disk that came with it.
think it was version 7.88 but i can't find my disk :(

F

FoXeH

Originally posted by -nicolas-

The 9700 is a Club 3d card and the 9600 PRO is a Saphire card.

hmm my radeon 9600 pro is hercules :s

N

)nick(

Well I've been monitoring the user.dat each time I restart daoc and it seems to be registering the changes and then reverting back to the highest quality settings as soon as you hit any kind of loading screen.

For example here are some extracts from the user.dat:

Default setting when I run daoc:

windowed=0
[water]
item3=2
item2=0
item1=0
item0=0
[shadows]
item2=2
item1=0
item0=0

I change the water and shadows back to the classic setting and want to run windowed mode:

windowed=1
[water]
item3=2
item2=0
item1=1
item0=0
[shadows]
item2=2
item1=2
item0=0

I quit out of the game then as soon as it hits the loading screen it reverts back to:

windowed=1
[water]
item3=2
item2=0
item1=0
item0=0
[shadows]
item2=2
item1=0
item0=0

Notice how it did actually save the windowed mode so the file can't be read-only.

This is getting extremely frustrating. I have now tried the drivers: Catalyst 3.4, 3.5, 3.6, 3.7 and 3.8. None of them seem to make a blind bit of difference.

The weirdest thing is that I have had it working in the past proplerly but I can't remember what steps I went through.

F

FoXeH

Have you tried changing the settings in user.dat to what you want, then making the file as read only? Could stop it changing its self back.

/edit

I just saw what you said about the read only thing, hmm, i've no idea. Tried asking GOA?

N

)nick(

I've tried setting it to read-only DAOC doesn't like this and then crashes back to the desktop with an error.

F

FoXeH

Found my old driver disk, says on the front
Driver Ver: 12-004

hmm?

N

)nick(

Guess what. It works fine on the US client. What I did was copy over the EU installation to another directory then updated the update.dat to point towards the US patchers. Patched the game and voila it saves the settings. Still no luck on the EU accounts though. Nice one GOA.

N

)nick(

Response (CS) 10/23/2003 10:13 AM
Hello,

This is a known bug but we do not have a solution to fix this yet.

We are working on it.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Yours sincerely,
---------------------------------------------
European Dark Age of Camelot Customer Support

G

Garnet

Basicly its a big we tell you were working on it but not :/

GOA are pretty useless these days :/

N

)nick(

It wouldn't be that bad were it not for the fact that the water looks butt ugly and out of place not to mention the cpu time it uses to render the silly looking reflections. Though I am actually starting to like the shadows now :)

N

)nick(

Right I've fixed it myself:

- Uninstall your current drivers
- Download Driver Cleaner 2.6
- Clean All the ATI Drivers
- Reboot
- Download the omega drivers based on the 3.4 catalyst drivers
- Install the omega 3.4 drivers
- Reboot
- Find the main driver not being able to start
- Uninstall the current drivers
- Reinstall the omega 3.4 drivers
- Tada it works!

K

Khalen

Those radeon drivers are a pain in the ass. I've tried to get rid of an old one but now I got a new one and I still think it's using some old files. Because it keeps locking up sometimes when I switch to much to windows and to the window again. Giving either a ati2dvag.dll error or a dcom failure.

N

)nick(

www.driverheaven.net

Download driver cleaner there and it should completely get rid of everything that has to do with ATI.

Then reinstall the drivers. For some odd reason after I've run Driver Cleaner I have to reinstall the drivers I want to install twice.

Oh and when installing the omega drivers you will get all kinds of weird empty msg boxes just keep clicking through them and it will work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread