Advice Streaming media at 'ome

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Just to follow this up, I just bought a chromecast. So far, awesome.

It just works, no hassle, no problems. I've got a Netflix sub, and lots of stuff on plex, and both have native Android apps. Best of all its wife-friendly. I've taught her how to use it on her phone in a minute.

Best £30 I've spent in ages.

Poag

m00?
Chromecast is indeed awesome. It was pretty good + Plex, but now with the UK launch the iPlayer support its even better. 4oD are bringing support along aswell soon apparently.

Probably one of the best things i've imported in along time :)

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I got a Chromecast from HK - fucking superb, especially for the money.

Once there's more apps then it'll be brilliant.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Chromecast is indeed awesome. It was pretty good + Plex, but now with the UK launch the iPlayer support its even better. 4oD are bringing support along aswell soon apparently.

Probably one of the best things i've imported in along time :)

I bought one from the states a few months ago. Its pretty good but does need a really good wifi connection or it just freezes.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Just to follow this up, I just bought a chromecast. So far, awesome.

It just works, no hassle, no problems. I've got a Netflix sub, and lots of stuff on plex, and both have native Android apps. Best of all its wife-friendly. I've taught her how to use it on her phone in a minute.

Best £30 I've spent in ages.
Picked one up because the main TV in our lounge is wall mounted so I wanted something self powered and hidden but unfortunately a RaspberryPi was too big. Works very well using the apps you've mentioned, I'd agree with @DaGaffer though in my experience the devices WiFi can be a bit flakey, it'll detach the controls from my Nexus 5 as times (whether I'm using the phone or not) which is a bugger when you want to pause something.

Poag

m00?
I bought one from the states a few months ago. Its pretty good but does need a really good wifi connection or it just freezes.
i had issues to start with. but i found that my bthub was using B & G on 2.4GHz but not N, enabled N and its happy as larry now.

Poag

m00?
Picked one up because the main TV in our lounge is wall mounted so I wanted something self powered and hidden but unfortunately a RaspberryPi was too big. Works very well using the apps you've mentioned, I'd agree with @DaGaffer though in my experience the devices WiFi can be a bit flakey, it'll detach the controls from my Nexus 5 as times (whether I'm using the phone or not) which is a bugger when you want to pause something.

People say using the HDMI extender will help wifi issues if the chromecast is sandwiched between the tv and a wall.....i think its in the box i got with mine, but as mines free standing (tv on a table rather than wall mounted) i never used it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom