Straw poll - spectacles

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Does anyone here wear glasses? I'm trying to order some replacement online pairs (because the high street is a fucking ripoff) but on every sample I've tried so far, the temples (arms) seem to curve a few mm before the top of my ears. The entire arms all go well past my ears and seem to stick on my face ok.

I just want to know, if you wear glasses, are yours like this and are they comfortable? Or do your glasses curve exactly at the top of your ear?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Mine curve after my ear, maybe you have a weird head?!

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Bought some RayBans a few weeks ago. You can blame the weather on me. But no, don't wear normal specs. Currently have 20/20 vision and always have but given my families tendency to need glasses around middle age and the amount I use screens it probably won't last forever. :(

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
From memory, when I wore specs, the curve of the arms was always around the apex of my ear. You've obviously got a "deep" face. My problem with glasses was always width rather than depth (I have high, wide cheekbones and a generally broad face) so the arms rubbed between my temples and cheekbones. It tended to be more of a problem with European (especially Italian) brands and less of an issue with American brands, which is why I don't bother even trying on Armani sunglasses anymore and tend to just stick with Oakleys or Ray-Bans.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Ok thanks guys, I'm going to go to the local optician and swallow my pride then. I'm just sick of being asked to pay £75 for frames that cost about £2.50 to make.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Find the model you like and then look online for them?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Does anyone here wear glasses? I'm trying to order some replacement online pairs (because the high street is a fucking ripoff) but on every sample I've tried so far, the temples (arms) seem to curve a few mm before the top of my ears. The entire arms all go well past my ears and seem to stick on my face ok.

I just want to know, if you wear glasses, are yours like this and are they comfortable? Or do your glasses curve exactly at the top of your ear?

Exactly the problem I had with high street specs before I took the plunge and had laser surgery. Best of luck finding ones that are right for you, it is a pain in the arse having to put up with glasses that don't fit right.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Mine curve right at the ear although i've bought my last few pairs online because its dirt cheap. I just wear contacts outside and have a large array of £10 specs knocking around the house so I can always find a pair.

How much did your laser eye surgery cost chodax? I want it.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Mine curve right at the ear although i've bought my last few pairs online because its dirt cheap. I just wear contacts outside and have a large array of £10 specs knocking around the house so I can always find a pair.

How much did your laser eye surgery cost chodax? I want it.

Well I went for the very top end at the time, Wavefront Lasik which cost me about £2800 but I ended up with better than 20:20 vision 6 months after surgery. To me that makes it well worth the high costs and even now almost 6 years on my vision is still excellent although slightly degraded as I work with screens all day long and spend alot of the weekend at a screen as well. If you can afford it mate then you should have it done, it is a doddle, 15 mins of discomfort not pain, then 2 weeks of dry/itchy eyes but with the steriod eyedrops it isn't hard to deal with at all.

Just don't settle for the cheap surgery they offer on TV, the success rate is quite a bit lower and has a higher risk of complications, wavefront also removes alot of abberations that no other form of eye surgery can deal with and so the results are often excellent with something well in excess of 90% of cases achieving 20:20 or close.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Yeah my dad has had some issues with his eyes and required laser surgery. Was easy, quick and pretty much as soon as he was able to see properly again he noted that he was seeing better than he ever had done in his life before.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Find the model you like and then look online for them?
Glasses have sizes that are usually printed on the inside of the frame, I would think you can get yourself measured at an opticians so that you get your size. Then order them online. You could then probably get them fitted for your nose, ears etc...at an opticians too. Probably all for a small cost and plenty of backwards and forwards though.

There is nothing worse than a pair of specs that don't fit properly. You can get yourself some properly fitted sunglasses too. I don't understand how people can be happy with off the shelf sunglasses, surely they don't fit properly?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Trouble is, the online sizes measure the length of the entire arm, and not the bit from the hinge to the ear.

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
i have a "shallow" head... so the curve is always well past my ears towards the back of my head. I've gotten around this issue by buying Oakley Mono-Shock 1 frames... there is no curve - instead the arms curve into the head, creating a very gentle grip, avoiding the "stupid" look... titanium frames so ultralight... they look the business. (I only wear them for driving, keep them in the car... i'm only mildly short-sighted - wear contacts in work... they are NOT cheap though... after my total 75% discount (student, government employer) they cost £290

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I think one of my ears is further back than the other, so my (2 pairs) of glasses never sit quite right and are uncomfortable. I need to look into getting some specially made with one arm longer.

I cant wear contacts because my job is dusty and i'm always getting shit in my eyes, most of the time i dont wear them, i am thinking of having them lasered

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I wear em for driving. Mine are bent like crazy. Having a motorcycle helmet jammed round them hasn't improved their style! I need new frames

And I absolutely refuse to even consider contact lenses. Feck that. Do not fancy the prospect of trying to fish out a tiny bit of plastic from the underside of my bloodshot hay-fever infested weeping eyeball with dirty fingers.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Contacts fuck your eyes up longterm anyway. Laser surgery is an investment in yourself, money well spent when you consider the long term quality of life improvements.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
but what if they fuck it up? Its golden retriever time.

I know, statistics point out a 999.999% success rate. What if you're one of the 0.001?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
but what if they fuck it up? Its golden retriever time.

I know, statistics point out a 999.999% success rate. What if you're one of the 0.001?

Wavefront is expensive for a reason, they use very advanced scanning so they only need to use the laser in very very short bursts which spares alot of tissue. For that reason if something goes wrong and your cornea's are of a sufficient thickness they will just perform an alteration. Also, over time your eyes change, especially once you hit your 50's, if you had wavefront done first time there is a good chance there is enough tissue spare to re-perform the procedure 15-20 years down the line if your sight degrades again. The cheaper forms of LASIK do not allow for this, it is a generic procedure that is pretty much one size fits all and they take a fair bit of tissue in the process.

My advice, think about it but don't overthink it, I was pretty scared and even watched a youtube vid of the surgery. If I hadn't already paid I would have cancelled but had I done so it would have been a massive mistake, my quality of life without glasses is drastically improved. If I had to I would find the money again and have it done, no second thoughts.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Do you have any contact details cho?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Well I used Optical Express as at the time they were the ones investing buckets of money into the latest hardware and surgical tools. They are now doing Wavefront Advanced which is even more accurate and tissue sparing, never a bad thing but also they use Intralase now which I would have loved. My best advice would be to book a free consultation, let them run the tests to see how thick your cornea's are and take it from there. They have centres all over the U.K. too and have been doing this over 10 years now, they cost a bit more for the very top end treatments but you get what you pay for by having access to the latest tech.

http://www.opticalexpress.co.uk/laser-eye-surgery/advanced-customvue-wavefront.html

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I always thought that people with astigmatism weren't suitable for laser eye surgery but from reading that it seems we are! I will be looking into that I think.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I always thought that people with astigmatism weren't suitable for laser eye surgery but from reading that it seems we are! I will be looking into that I think.

Yep, recommended to have wavefront though due to the accuracy of removing lower and higher order abberations. It's a fucking brilliant treatment, cannot understand why people use contact lenses and wreck what is left of thier vision, better to pay all the cash you would spend on lenses/glasses up front and get your eyes properly fixed.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The optician today was telling me that a new technique coming out is to replace the lenses in your eyes. He says it's a similar procedure to removing cataracts and currently has an 80% success rate (I take that to mean there's a 20% chance you won't see any improvement).

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I might wait until I can have some new eyeballs grown in a vat.

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
Hmmm not abundantly clear on what the issues are with contact lenses? I've not seen or heard any credible evidence that suggests they can lead to long term problems in the majority of cases - isolated cases here and there is another matter, and mostly these stem from a slightly higher risk of infections (in general, and a greater risk of infections given certain risk factors, e.g. working in a dusty environment) - but that's the same for surgery. Remember the risk is greater with any invasive procedure (ANY kind of laser eye surgery) than it is with non invasive - glasses, contacts... A proper consultation will indicate those risks.

Funnily enough I've recently seen a case where having eye surgery caused entirely unexpected consequences - without going into masses of detail; a laser eye procedure required a certain kind of aftercare, among which was a contraindication for certain kinds of anaesthesia... (that would normally be used in the event of a broken bone) the eye procedure was entirely uneventful - then the person broke a bone - entirely unrelated obviously... due to the contraindications caused by the eye procedure alternative methods were used... as the person involved had never had this kind of anaesthesia before everybody was unaware that complications would occur with the alternative - but there was very nearly a negative outcome.. (i.e death). No one really thinks of that kind of situation when they're saying "yeh go have laser eye surgery, it will all be fine".

If you're going to consider having such a thing done... think about the things they haven't told you as well as what they have told you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom