Strange noise

Bahumat

FH is my second home
had some windows error where it would fail to load so i did a re-install of windows etc.

when im playing daoc you have teh constant whirring your hard drive makes which is fair enough, mine seems like its constantly trying to do something???

if the standard noise when playing daoc a hard drive makes is 5, and when your in a big rvr battle and the pc starts to work faster is goes to say, an 8, mine does the following.

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-8-8-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-3-5-5-5-3-8-8-8-8-5-5-5-5-5-

Basically its speeding up but i could be just standing in tnn not doing anything, when it slows more so than normal down it only stays like that for a breif second.....kinda like when your engine is about to stall and you press the gas to keep the revs up.

what i cant work out is why its going normal, then fast over and over...someone told me "yeah i had that and it was cause my pc was trying to upload something to the daoc servers and it was failing, yet kept retrying"

I have done a fresh install of windows and the problem started after that, i dont wanna have to waste more time re-installing everything but hoped someone could say "yeah go here, tick that option, hey presto"

Chronictank

FH is my second home
run a scan on the hdd to see if its on the way out
also would be helpful if you said the Manufacturer and Model of the hdd :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
its a seagate 160gb hdd, its about 2 months old, i had a thought though...

when i re-installed everything i only used the standard cd that came with the geforce 6800gt card, the noise could be the fans on the gfx card and as its not on the latest drivers could it be that?

I will try downloading the latest drivers....but do you think thats where the answer lies?

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Bahumat said:
its a seagate 160gb hdd, its about 2 months old, i had a thought though...

when i re-installed everything i only used the standard cd that came with the geforce 6800gt card, the noise could be the fans on the gfx card and as its not on the latest drivers could it be that?

I will try downloading the latest drivers....but do you think thats where the answer lies?
might be best if you open up the PC case,
then turn it on and do what you do to recreate the noise so you can determine where its coming from before you change things on a otherwise working system

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Herjulf, if you played PvP and were a Girl i would be your very own sex slave!

Herjulf

Banned
Yeah i know i got many such slaves already on duty.

Glottis <- hugs my left leg when i spank albs, QQing.
Hiz/Kathal <- my hitman and stud.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
You have a kobold trapped in your PC, release the little fella at once!

Skaven

One of Freddy's beloved
Only reason I can think of that your pc would access your hard drive during the game would be to access the virtual memory, and if your hard drive is making alot of noise when it's being accessed it's usually a good sign that it's on it's way out. Most new mobo's have built in hard drive failure detection software on the bios - in which case it'll tell you if it thinks its going balls up on startup.

I have a gig stick of memory in mine and it briefly accesses the hard drive when I zone into other regions, maybe for like 1-2 seconds.

Apart from what other people have suggested I can't think of anything else it could be.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
think it's the gfx card making all the noise as opposed to the HDD :(

Downloaded latest drivers but no apparent changes

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
gfx card drivers dont make your fan work better.

one thing you can check is the fans. are they full of tust and stuff. if so, clean them. usually thats the couse of the noise.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Kaun_IA said:
gfx card drivers dont make your fan work better.

one thing you can check is the fans. are they full of tust and stuff. if so, clean them. usually thats the couse of the noise.

cool, will do. :fluffle:

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
Check where you have your Swap file located, and the size of the swap file. If you have too little memory in your pc it'll swap like mad.

Your swapfile should be twice your physical memory, but never larger than 4GB. (Windows doesn't like swapfiles that big).

Also, move the swapfile to a different physical drive than you run windows and/or DAOC from. (Ideally, Windows on C:, DAOC on D: and swapfile on E:, each being a different harddisc. (Not a partition).

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Don't use a hoover to clean off the fans. My friend did that and blew up her CPU - I know you probably wouldn't do, but I like telling the story. :)

It's possible that whatever caused windows to stop working also damaged the HDD, which was why it had that error. Windows won;t always install to the same phsyical location so it may well have installed fine, and then the HDD is trying to read bad sectors and having a hard time.

My HDD has a few bad places, but it works fine, the only thing is every 15 minutes it will make a loud CRUNCH noise. Worrying, but after a year it's still working so....

Anyway, not much advice to offer cept what's been said :)

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
*edit but the new edit button is fucking SHITE and never works*

If you have more than one HDD in the PC, you could move the DAoC directory and the page file to another drive. It might not fix the problem but it could well circumvent it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom