Strange error?

Sun_Tzu

Fledgling Freddie
I seem to be having an error with my other computer since patch. It can log into daoc, and get to charselect, but will competely lock up on trying to enter the game itself. I've installed directx 9.0c, the newest drivers, reinstalled the game...i have *no idea* whats going on. System specs:

800mhz p3
512 ram
geforce 3 MX440
win 98 SE

Haven't had a problem running ToA client until now (yeah, FPS is pretty crap, but i run my BB on it), so i'm not sure what's wrong.

Any similar problems? Hints? Anything?

Crookshanks

Fledgling Freddie
Sun_Tzu said:
I seem to be having an error with my other computer since patch. It can log into daoc, and get to charselect, but will competely lock up on trying to enter the game itself. I've installed directx 9.0c, the newest drivers, reinstalled the game...i have *no idea* whats going on. System specs:

800mhz p3
512 ram
geforce 3 MX440
win 98 SE

Haven't had a problem running ToA client until now (yeah, FPS is pretty crap, but i run my BB on it), so i'm not sure what's wrong.

Any similar problems? Hints? Anything?

Um.. IIRC isn't the geforce 4 MX440 (there is no such thing as a geforce 3 MX440) the non-directx 9 compliant graphics card? It was the budget version of the Geforce 4 range (it was actually slower than a geforce 3 TI200 according to http://www.kickassgear.com/Reviews/Low%20End%20Video%20Battle.htm .

The spec for catacombs is a bit vague concening the graphics cards (just says "DirectX 9 and 3D Acceleration card with 64 Mb Video Ram"). I don't know if this is your problem - but that would be my guess - have you got any friends with a later graphics card that you can borrow to test the theory?

Sun_Tzu

Fledgling Freddie
Crookshanks said:
Um.. IIRC isn't the geforce 4 MX440 (there is no such thing as a geforce 3 MX440) the non-directx 9 compliant graphics card? It was the budget version of the Geforce 4 range (it was actually slower than a geforce 3 TI200 according to http://www.kickassgear.com/Reviews/Low%20End%20Video%20Battle.htm .

Blame the box...for some reason i remember it as a Geforce3, but you are correct there.

I dont know if it is. I haven't had problems running the pre patch TOA and SI clients. This patch, I cant run either.

The spec for catacombs is a bit vague concening the graphics cards (just says "DirectX 9 and 3D Acceleration card with 64 Mb Video Ram"). I don't know if this is your problem - but that would be my guess - have you got any friends with a later graphics card that you can borrow to test the theory?

The card is listed as supported for catacombs, its just with the ultra-crap settings.

Sun_Tzu

Fledgling Freddie
Ok. So i tried on my father's computer, and it worked fine. His computer has the exact same specs as mine, except his is a 1.8 GHz and runs XP home (and some hard drive differences in there, too). He's got the same graphics card, which is also very confusing, and he hasn't updated the drivers in probably a billion years.

I'm not sure what else it could be. I've RightNowed it in the hopes that someone at GOA has an idea of what could possibly be wrong, but still...

Any ideas?

Sun_Tzu

Fledgling Freddie
I've also done full file checks, spyware checks, and an antivirus scan...

Bah.

Void959

Fledgling Freddie
First make sure the graphics card aperature (64MB/128MB) is set correctly in the BIOS, often they're not, also check you have the latest motherboard drivers.

Other than that its hard to tell if its the graphics card or the RAM, first try running several different grahics card driver version, including old stable ones, and recent beta's; do basic tests on the card by running dxdiag.exe, and also d/l and run 3dmark 2003. If that hasn't isolated the problem, which it probably won't have, try swapping graphics cards with the other comp, obviously install all the same drivers, then check if it runs. If it doesn't you know its the card, but if it does, theres most likely an obscure softare error on the first comp, which can probably be fixed by reformating the drive.

Sun_Tzu

Fledgling Freddie
Void959 said:
First make sure the graphics card aperature (64MB/128MB) is set correctly in the BIOS, often they're not, also check you have the latest motherboard drivers.

Other than that its hard to tell if its the graphics card or the RAM, first try running several different grahics card driver version, including old stable ones, and recent beta's; do basic tests on the card by running dxdiag.exe, and also d/l and run 3dmark 2003. If that hasn't isolated the problem, which it probably won't have, try swapping graphics cards with the other comp, obviously install all the same drivers, then check if it runs. If it doesn't you know its the card, but if it does, theres most likely an obscure softare error on the first comp, which can probably be fixed by reformating the drive.

Checked the aperature, was set to 64 like it should be. Motherboard drivers are up to date - I'm checking the ram now. GOA requested the dxdiag file as well, so as soon as this finishes up i'm gonna give it a go.

Sun_Tzu

Fledgling Freddie
No problem with DXdiag tests at all. No problems with RAM. Computer still locks up running the client.

I cant swap cards, because my other computer is a laptop with a 9600 mobility - I dont think it'd run too well with the MX440. If win 98 is still being uptight, and GOA (or anyone else) don't have any brilliant ideas, i'll wipe the HD and reinstall. Bah.

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Tried windows xp on your own system? that might work.

Sun_Tzu

Fledgling Freddie
Sycho said:
Tried windows xp on your own system? that might work.

I'm poor, otherwise I would. College student, you know.

I probably will try it if a reformat + reinstall doesn't work, but bah.

Sun_Tzu

Fledgling Freddie
*subtle bump*

I'm wondering if perhaps it would be the power supply. I've had the computer for about 4 years now, and I've replaced most of the components inside. In fact, pretty much all of them, except, well - the motherboard + processor, the CD-RW drive, the sound card, and the power supply. I've only barely looked at some issues that not having enough power can cause, but I'm not sure as to why all of a sudden this became important with the newest patch.

Dunno...any more thoughts?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
i would try to get a earlier grafic driver. the latest driver is fucked up somwhere. im getting tons of grafic glitches with the latest driver. havent tried with DAoC yet as i cant pay for the sub until monday. but id try a rollback on the driver and see what happends.

Sun_Tzu

Fledgling Freddie
Ctuchik said:
i would try to get a earlier grafic driver. the latest driver is fucked up somwhere. im getting tons of grafic glitches with the latest driver. havent tried with DAoC yet as i cant pay for the sub until monday. but id try a rollback on the driver and see what happends.

I only updated the driver after it fucked up :O Still not sure what's going on.

Sun_Tzu

Fledgling Freddie
Even tried with the catas client, got to char select, complete lockup. Bah, I say.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
does it only happen with DAoC or with other "heavy load games" games aswell? if it happends with other games to i wouldent be surprised if its the gfx card thats busted, or even the ram. i had a simmilar thing happend to me a while back and after removing one of the ram cards it sorted itself out.

heres a direct link to a program that will allow u to test the RAM of ur computer. http://oca.microsoft.com/en/mtinst.exe
i hope thats not the problem tho and that a reinstall would be the solution. :)

Sun_Tzu

Fledgling Freddie
*mild update bump*

It appears to only happen with DAoC that I can tell. I have checked the ram, no problems there. Reinstall hasn't fixed anything.

GOA are telling me that I need a 1.4 GHz processor even though its worked pretty much fine up until now...I'm finding this hard to believe that suddenly with a brand new patch that the game is completely unable to load with a slower processor even under the SI client.

Any more ideas?

Sun_Tzu

Fledgling Freddie
Oh, I might be replacing the power supply with a brand new one my father has (for some reason (?)), so I'm hoping perhaps thats the problem.

Sun_Tzu

Fledgling Freddie
Alright, further updates...I finally got fed up with the beast, and reformatted it (had all my files stored on a second HD). Going to have to spend some time getting drivers, directx, what have you...but oh well. I tried doing one of the fixes on the Mythic website (had to do with win98 comps with 512MB or more ram), and got a Windows protection error with no messages every time I started. Tried to restore the registry - no luck.

Oh well. More updates (if necessary) to come.

Sun_Tzu

Fledgling Freddie
Right, I fixed it - and the problem was windows.

Microsoft's latest update was KB891711 - it had been causing the errors. I reformatted the whole computer, reinstalled all the updates, and had no luck with SI client - i went into MSconfig, unclicked this little button under startup, and just logged into the client for the first time since patch day.

I did a windowsupdate on that day, which explains why my computer went to hell on patch day. Freakin' hilarious, huh?

Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom