Stopped for not speeding

Gumbo

FH is my second home
This was posted in another forum which I frequent, it didn't happen to me, or anyone that I know personally, so could be entirely made up, but I found it quite funny.

-----------

just had an interesting chat with one of East Sussex's finest police officers - let's call him officer Dibble

The discussion went something like this

Dibble "good afternoon sir, is this your car"

me "yes, why have you stopped me?"

Dibble "How fast were you driving just before we stopped you?"

me "about 55/60mph"

Dibble "Actually it was 58mph, are you aware of the speed limit?

me "yes"

Dibble "then why were you going nearly 20 mph over the limit?" (at which point a lecture about the danger of speeding, failing to respond to road signs, how it was a country road etc etc etc)

me "sorry but are you aware that this section of the road is national speed limit?"

Dibble "no it's not. It is a 40 mph zone, the signs are back there"

me "so what about that sign I passed saying it was no longer a 40 zone but national limit?"

Dibble "there is no sign"

me "let's go back and have a look shall we?"

Dibble "there's no need, we clearly saw the 40 mph signs"

me "you are not local are you?"

Dibble, "no we are from Heathfield (about 20 miles away) but that doesn't
make any difference. You were still exceeding the speed limit"

me "If you were local you would know about the national limit sign on the post which is kind of hard to see since the council put a sign up which almost hides it"

Dibble "well we didn't see it"

me "does that mean it's not there then?"

Dibble "no, but it does mean that in our opinion you were speeding"

me "so you are going to give me a ticket for doing 58mph in a 60 mph zone because you didn't see the sign? Who's going to ring the local papers - you or me?"

Dibble "don't get sarcastic with me"

me "shall we go back and have a look at that sign now?"

Dibble "no I'll wait here with you and my partner will go back and check"

me "I'll lock my car up and we can all go back together - I can show you where the sign is then"

Dibble "do you think we are incapable of seeing a sign at the side of the road?"

me "I'm not going to answer that one because you'll probably accuse me of being sarcastic.........but isn't that why you stopped me in the first place"

Dibble then went to his car and sent his mate off to have a look, 2 minutes later he's back and the two of them are having a bit of a chat

Dibble "You are half right, there is a sign there but because it's partly obscured by other signage and the hedge then it doesn't apply"

me "you've just made that up haven't you?"

Dibble "no that's how it works so although the sign is there because you can't see it then it doesn't apply so you were speeding"

me " I did see it, that's why I accelerated from 40 mph to 60 mph, it was you that didn't see it which is why you stopped me for not speeding"

Dibble "I've told you about being sarcastic"

me "so if I were going the other way and didn't slow down for the 40mph sign which is actually partly hidden in the hedge at the moment I could use this argument and quote you to avoid getting nicked - would you write it down for me along with your name and number?"

Dibble "I've told you about being sarcastic"

me "Look this is going nowhere, either give me a ticket for speeding or let me go home"

I then got a pen out of my car door pocket and started to write down his number

Dibble "what are you doing"

me "without wishing to sound even slightly sarcastic, I'm writing down your number so that I can report you"

Dibble "OK, go on then, carry on, go home or wherever you were going just don't do it again"

me "don't do what again?"

Dibble - no answer just got in his car and they drove off

Now, should I report the muppet or not?

Andy

------------------

mank!

Part of the furniture
that story can't possibly be true.

old bill would have threatened him with arrest the instant he questioned the officer.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
It's quite interesting though. The cop is clearly totally batshit crazy, seemed so absurd I thought it was faked at first but it seems it's not. A quick google of Sergeant Kuehnlein brings up tonnes of results about this incident.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Gumbo, simple response.

Report the fucker, while it's their job to prosecute, a copper acting like a **** just so he can get his monthly bonus is fucking outrageous.

Report him and get the fucker a good bollocking.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Ok sharma, but it does say it wasn't me ;)

You might want to back away from the coffee for a bit too...

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The correct thing for the driver to do would have been to ask the officer where the next 40mph repeater sign was, and if there was none then it would have been NSL anyway (unless lamp posts <200 yards spaced in which case it would have been 30mph).

Yes, the officer should be reported, and the council should be informed about the poor signage.

Mothy

Fledgling Freddie
Sounds like the officer was a bit of a cock really and should have just admitted he was wrong and apologised. Traffic police do seem to act like that a lot though!

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
I had a similar problem not long ago. Some guy flashes me to warn me of the speed trap around the corner so I check I'm doing 30 and then as I pass through the 40 sign I speed up to 40. Sure enough the copper is there and waves me in and asks me the speed limit, I say 40, he says 30 and shows me the gun which says I was doing 35 (my speedo appears to be optimistic) He lets me off with a caution and gives me the usual lecture about stopping distances and wet road surfaces.
I was fuming inside, I knew that road was 40 and I had passed more tests and gained more experience behind the wheel than this retard of a copper ever would but I knew that arguing would make things worse for me. It's difficult but sometimes you have to swallow your pride when they have the advantage.

Clown

Part of the furniture
I don't understand how sticking things up your arse would make you calmer. You would know, eh Gamah?

Gamah

Banned
Yeah, I got a hairbrush that does the trick.

...and who said anything about your arse.

weevil

Fledgling Freddie
omg i am posting, wtf.

That's very ikely, it happened to me near ipswich, basically went out of my car and walked the liuteral 10 metres to the national speed limit repeater sign.

Gamah

Banned
omg i am posting, wtf.

That's very ikely, it happened to me near ipswich, basically went out of my car and walked the liuteral 10 metres to the national speed limit repeater sign.

You should be fined for living in Ipswitch though??

weevil

Fledgling Freddie
You should be fined for living in Ipswitch though??

oi, enough of that sunshine!

i actually live in felixstowe now, lived in the fantastic town of ipswich for 20 odd years mind :kissit:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Anyone else get a lot of annoying clicking on the soundtrack? I'm betting it wasn't on the original soundtrack...

I've got a load of reasons to believe that story is true and very few to not...

Tom - you know about this sort of stuff - do police need a reason to stop your car in Britain? I mean - if you're not doing anything wrong (within speed limit etc)...

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I've been randomly stopped coming home from work on a few occasions, they just checked ID and on we went. That was police though, not btp, so I don't know if that's different...

Mothy

Fledgling Freddie
Section 163 Road traffic act states any police officer may stop a vehicle in order to check drivers documents.

In other words any police officer in uniform can stop any car for no reason at all which is a very good piece of legislation used daily by many police officers.

Most police officers will target people though and not stop every one going past just those who are doing double the speed limit or if it is a car full of girls :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Tom - you know about this sort of stuff - do police need a reason to stop your car in Britain? I mean - if you're not doing anything wrong (within speed limit etc)...

Nope.

Cyradix

FH is my second home
Was stopped 2 weeks ago for speeding..... on my mountain bike.
At first I thought he was kidding so I started laughing etc, but then he gave me a ticket :mad:

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
But Belgium's too flat to pick up that kind of speed? Unless you've been pumping yourself with steroids :D

Cyradix

FH is my second home
That's Holland... Belgium has parts of up to 600 meter above sea level :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Was stopped 2 weeks ago for speeding..... on my mountain bike.
At first I thought he was kidding so I started laughing etc, but then he gave me a ticket :mad:

haha. You can't be done for speeding on a bike over here :) Just 'furious cycling', whatever that is.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
I laughed at that, quite a bit. Even if it's fake it's brilliant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom