Stockmarket > DAoC

old.Attle

Fledgling Freddie
After I quit DAoC, I found a much better game. It's alot more fun, less whining, less cheating and much more lucrative. The stockmarket is a great alternative for all DAoC-junkies. And the game stops at 5.30 pm every day and you get the weekends off aswell.

All you need is some money, a PC and you can start playing. If you are a stock-n00b there is a lot of info to be found on the internet about trading, money management and so on. Skills are measured in profit. The more money you make the higher is your skill.

A fair warning, noobs should stick to playing with stock. For l33t-players like banks, investment companies and hardcore traders there are stock-options and other highrisk papers.

The best part is that your friends, girlfriend, parents thinks that you are doing something useful instead of playing computer-games.

IMO the stockmarket is alot better then DAoC. :worthy:

Conchabar

Fledgling Freddie
why not do both? whats stopping u from creaming the stockmarket with ingenious moves and useing the surpluss cash to fund ure daoc addiction :twak:

Fedaykin

Fledgling Freddie
if you die though in daoc you can /release and get con back from healer

if you lose a shitload of cash you kill yourself irl by getting con reduction from the bartender

Chilly

Balls of steel
I'd just like to point out to everyone before they mortgage their XBOXs to buy Blizzard stock:

the stock market, while it can be extremely lucrative, can also fuck you up the ass. It is more luck than skill based, and even the best investers only make relatively small profits over time (10-15% growth a year is considered fucking über). Obviously you do occasionally get a sweet deal and make thousands (or millions ;) ) but more often than not you'll make a tenner and then lose 500 quid the next week.

Get an ISA.

old.Attle

Fledgling Freddie
The reason why the best investors suck is simple. While banks and proffesional investors rarly make more then 10-15% a year is due to the massive amount of money the have. If Morgan Stanly desides that Nokia is underpreforming and strats to sell-off it take months to sell-off all their Nokia shares. While a small investor can sell all Nokia shares at once.

As a small investor you have the advantage of flexibility. You move your money from one stock to the next quicker and sell off when the market is going down. If you are fairly skille you should make atleast 20-30% a year (inc dividend). That is alot better then the intrest rate. On a good your like 1999 you could do 400-500% or more. While there are risks in playing the stockmarket its worth it imo.

pbaz

Fledgling Freddie
Chilly said:
Get an ISA.

No, get an index tracker. Let business do what it does best (increase profits year-on-year) and assume basically zero risk by spreading your investment across the entire market. Expect growth of around 8-12% per year (if the investment is made for a period of greater than 5 years).

And no f*cking around with day-trading stress.

old.Attle said:
If you are fairly skilled you should make atleast 20-30% a year

Let's be quite clear about trading: it's nothing to do with skill! It's 100% about knowledge. If you don't know why you're investing in Company X, you really shouldn't be putting your money there. I agree that returns of 20-30% are possible but, frankly, that's a damn good year for even the best investors...

The stock market is not the place to make money (that's what a job is for!) - it's for steadily and (relatively) safely growing the money you've already got.

old.Attle

Fledgling Freddie
pbaz said:
assume basically zero risk by spreading your investment across the entire market. Expect growth of around 8-12% per year (if the investment is made for a period of greater than 5 years).

And no f*cking around with day-trading stress.

Don't spead your investment across the enitre market. Buy stock in areas that are on the rise like oil (at the moment). Buy stock in companies that are preforming best in the chosen sector. Remember that a stock can never go to high and never to low. Focus on the winners, and stay off lagging stocks. They usually lagg for a reason. Never buy "cheap" stock. Quality costs, but are generally preforming better over time. Buy alot of stock in 4-5 companies, but put a fairly thight stoploss. Spreading too much will only lower your average growth.

Never day trade and never buy biotech, atleast not until the company makes a profit.

Marc

FH is my second home
Banks and insurance companies were nice little earners due to the takeovers/mergers.

Chilly

Balls of steel
I'd like to see whoever can make more than about 30% a year consistently on day trading.

ISAs are good because they are tax free! none of that capital gains shit, I made over a grand on mine since april and no tax baby, oh yeah!

Marc

FH is my second home
Best return for your money without doubt would be to invest in property. Especially cities without developed docks.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
I read that if you put £2,000 quid in some special bank at 16 when your 68 or sommet you'll have 1 million pounds. Anyone wanna try it for me?

old.Attle

Fledgling Freddie
Chilly said:
I'd like to see whoever can make more than about 30% a year consistently on day trading.

ISAs are good because they are tax free! none of that capital gains shit, I made over a grand on mine since april and no tax baby, oh yeah!

It really hard to do 30% on "daytrading" because the fees for buying and selling eats on your profit. It's alot better to have a mid-range focus. I use an 8 week cycle if the stock hasn't preformed according to plan I re-evaluate it and sell it. Buying and selling on a daily basis is very hard. You are usually in to late and out to late too. :twak:

All you end up with are small gains at the best and a huge cost in bank fees for trading.

btw I'm up almost 40% already this year...but a profit is not a profit until the money is back in the bank... :m00:

tookha

Fledgling Freddie
old.Attle said:
Don't spead your investment across the enitre market. Buy stock in areas that are on the rise like oil (at the moment).

As far as I know, oil stocks in general has been on the rise for the past three years.

stickyplaster

Fledgling Freddie
Ok as a DAoC addict and a sad no cash sponging fuckwit can i just say CLOSE THIS ANAL post.

I prefer to buy my shares in quality companies like Newcastle Breweries and IPA piecemeal............by the pint.

:twak:
:drink:

Nemo

Fledgling Freddie
stickyplaster said:
Ok as a DAoC addict and a sad no cash sponging fuckwit can i just say CLOSE THIS ANAL post.

I prefer to buy my shares in quality companies like Newcastle Breweries and IPA piecemeal............by the pint.

:twak:
:drink:

FreddysHouse > Role Playing Games > Dark Age of Camelot > Excalibur > Off-Topic > Stockmarket > DAoC

Dont read here then.......

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
old.Attle said:
Don't spead your investment across the enitre market. Buy stock in areas that are on the rise like oil (at the moment).

Wise move with every expert saying oil prices are too high and not in line with production rates. OPEC meeting next week to up quotas so the the price drops. Currently 70 USD a barrell expected to go back below 50 in next few months.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
personally I do invest in the stock market but would advise, as with all forms of 'gambling', never put down more than you can afford to loose. I used to get shares bonuses with my last company in the UK. I would often sell these and buy other shares. If you seriously want to do it, read up. There is plenty on the web about it. Also find a good online broker. Stay away from day trading, these use proffesional tools to predict dailly trends and things can go horrendously wrong.

One of the best investments I ever made was selling close to 800 Smiths Ind shares at 10.90 and buying Marks & Spenser when they hit a low of 1:30. The thought was an institution liek M & S is not going to die. Plus the value of their shop space exceeded the share vaulation. Did very nicely after a two year wait I tripled the money. :)

Still by far the best investment you can make in the UK is property. Its a buyers market right now and a good time to jump on the bandwagon. In 1996 I purchased a 4 bed house in Hampshire for 87,000. Then had to spend another 20,000 renovating it. Now, a recent evaluation has put the price at around 380,000-400,000. Beats the Stock Market any day!

old.Attle

Fledgling Freddie
As long as the price is on the rise the trend still up, regardless if its a bubble or not. Speaking of bubbles, the property market have gone up way to fast. Just wait until the intrest rate goes up to 4-5% then we will have a pricefall on real-estate worth remembering. Those of us who remeber the late 80s have seen it happend before.

I agree that the oil-rally might be over, but I won't sell untill I see clear technical indications that its time to sell. Even at 50$ the oil is very expensive. On the bright side is the a high oil-price will stimulate use of alternative energy sources.

angrysquirrel

Fledgling Freddie
insider trading, its the only way to do it.

got a feeling the goverment is going to award a £20million contract to company X to operate a ferry service in a years time ? buy now. or will a company win a contract to produce 55 million smart cards within the next financial year, funded for by the government with a 10 year maintenance period... a small company with cheap shares could win such a piece of work..then before you know it..its not such a small company.

the point is as someone has already said, knowledge is everything, not skill or cufflinks in the stockmarket game.

but cufflinks pwn

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
old.Attle said:
Just wait until the intrest rate goes up to 4-5% then we will have a pricefall on real-estate worth remembering. Those of us who remeber the late 80s have seen it happend before.

Agree partly, Black Wednesday caused enourmous problems including 17-18% interest rates for a little while. But within six months property was on the rise again. Not all propery will rise at the same rate, we were very lucky where we purchsed. That was not by mistake though it was a planned move due to people moving out of overpriced London.

Also when we first purchased the property the rates were nearer 7% so rises to 4-5% will not worry most people, just the first time buyers.

I have a mate whose a land buyer for Bovis and their forecasts don't agree yours (widespread pricefalls). He says they will not be accross the board. There will be some discounting in some areas but not all. To be honest I trust his views over yours on the housing market. He predicted what we would make on our property 5 years ago and he was only 20,000 out.

Good luck with your investments, out of interest what broker do you use and what trade charges to they apply?

old.Attle

Fledgling Freddie
The general rule is that the price always drops most in unattravtive areas and on the way up they will rise more slowly then in more attractive areas. If follow this "rule" then "overpriced" hotsopts like London, Paris and so on will fall less in % ofc then lets say a small town or suburbs. There are exception like for exampel Cannes in France, where the prices are unpropotionally high with regards to this population. This is due to external factors like the cannes film festival, lots of turists and so on.

If you follow this rule then you should always try to buy in the best possible location. While it might be more expensive then area by areas, it is less likely to fall in pricedrops and will probably rise faster in a rising market. It's basiclly the same as with stocks, quality costs.

I use a swedish broker called Nordnet since I'm from Sweden. The commision for buying/selling is 0,14% or 10 euro. I guess E-trade would be my choice abroad. It's abit more expensive, or atleast used to be when I compared them(a year ago). I know that they have a really cool real-time application so you can follow your money in real-time. Quite addictive I might add.

I might add the a house or appartment is something that you are supposed to live in. It might be a good idea to buy something you like, rather then focus on the investment bit. If you can combine thme its great.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
I joined Sharepeople.com before Amex took them over a few years back and as such I'm still on the original fixed price trades :) Just hope they don't find out I'm not a resident of the UK. They would love to close my account and charge me percentage commissions on trades. Have to get all the mail sent to a relatives house in the UK which sux.

Aloca

Fledgling Freddie
Hawkwind said:
Still by far the best investment you can make in the UK is property. Its a buyers market right now and a good time to jump on the bandwagon. In 1996 I purchased a 4 bed house in Hampshire for 87,000. Then had to spend another 20,000 renovating it. Now, a recent evaluation has put the price at around 380,000-400,000. Beats the Stock Market any day!

In Sweden i dont think property market is such a good idea. House loan interest is at 2,5% to 4%, can loan without safety for 6,5%. The house prices is very high now due this.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Chilly said:

hehe me 2
shame you can only put £5000 a year in it or i would pile all my cash into that account rather than having 2 seperate

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom