Sticky Threads + Announcements in General

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Do we really need so many stickies and announcements? I'll bet that most of them don't get read by anyone on here anymore.

The music, botd, regulars threads and announcements, are any of them even remotely necessary?

Spoiler tags I can understand, but the rest, well they take up too much space. :(

Clown

Part of the furniture
Maybe you should stop using a 2 inch monitor.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
If the threads are that useful then they'll naturally stay on the first page anyway. None of them would survive the front page if they're unstuck which shows just how important they are. The "Music Recommendation Thread" is so great that nobody has posted in it since 2005!

It's just annoying that the useless crap takes an entire page at 1280x1024 before you even get to the first real thread.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
so Chet, you browsing in CGA resolution?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ive removed one...

Clown

Part of the furniture
Yeah but enough about your Kama Sutra techniques.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Sorted, now no more fucking moaning!

Tom

I am a FH squatter
We need feedback off the general page, and techie stuff back on.

tbh.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
You call that sorted? bleh, not even close.

'Threads to read before you die' either needs to die, or have the decent stuff adding. As it is its a waste of space.

'Spoiler Tags' has been wasting space for 3 years: still noone gives a shit.

'News on the frontpage' was boring when new: it can go.

And as for Will's werewolf poo: if folks give a shit itll stay at the top, if they dont itll disappear to page 2 after 2 weeks. No need at all for it to be sticky.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
'Threads to read before you die' either needs to die, or have the decent stuff adding. As it is its a waste of space.
Not received any actual suggestions from you there... how about you define "the decent stuff", it can then be added and the thread improves, everyone benefits.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I reserve the right to winge without contributing!

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Not received any actual suggestions from you there... how about you define "the decent stuff", it can then be added and the thread improves, everyone benefits.
Any thread without toilet roll, planes on conveyor belts and scarecrows hasnt tried, so isnt worthy of serious suggestions :kissit:

And now instead of 1 thread of werewolf gheyness we've 2. Guess itll be 5 next week: and a pageful the week after. Nice going ;)

TdC

you're taking the piss surely :p

TdC

ho hum, let's not press the issue. I'm cranky enough as it is eh :/

TdC

If toilet roll and planes on conveyor belts arent worthy what the *&^%$ is? :p

hmm, Mystic G did say to PM him ideas, I trust you did so? if he denied it I am sure he had his reasons tbh.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Guess itll be 5 next week: and a pageful the week after. Nice going ;)
Subforum tbfh. I'll rummage for some extra links for that thread this evening if I get out of work before midnight, k?

GReaper

Part of the furniture
It's just annoying having announcements which stay up there forever.

News on the frontpage, does it really need a 1 year announcement? A little text box on the front page and an announcement in the news forum only would be ideal.
Social Networking..., another 1 year announcement. If a user has a blog then we can see it next to their posts anyway!
Would be nice if someone could clean up the Warhammer forums too, 4 sticky threads relating to a competition which closed months ago.

As I've said, if a thread is really that useful then it'll stay near the top by itself.

I also find subforums slightly annoying when the parent forum allows people to post in it. You end up with the main forum having a huge list of subforums at the top whilst trying to view threads, which is probably half the problem at the moment.

(Note: Yes, I like to moan! :D)

Draylor

Part of the furniture
hmm, Mystic G did say to PM him ideas, I trust you did so? if he denied it I am sure he had his reasons tbh.
Why?

The point is the thread as it stands is worthless: infact the Wiki already covers the same ground properly: Epic Threads - Freddy

Its therefore not worthy of its screen-cluttering stickyness: imho at least :fluffle:

All of the stickies/announcements/etc should be combined into one, which is just a link to the Wiki, which has all the relevant stuff already. Solved.

And when thats done we can see about finishing off the cleanup of the "General" forum page by dumping the link to Feedback, and replacing it with "Techie" ... makes sense to me anyway.

(Yes, I like to moan too: but meh everyone knew that already)

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Announcements make sure that the message is seen across all forums and not just the ones you peruse.

I have changed both of the announcements you mention to expire on the 5th (Social networking was meant to only last month but I typoed).

It's just annoying having announcements which stay up there forever.

News on the frontpage, does it really need a 1 year announcement? A little text box on the front page and an announcement in the news forum only would be ideal.
Social Networking..., another 1 year announcement. If a user has a blog then we can see it next to their posts anyway!
Would be nice if someone could clean up the Warhammer forums too, 4 sticky threads relating to a competition which closed months ago.

As I've said, if a thread is really that useful then it'll stay near the top by itself.

I also find subforums slightly annoying when the parent forum allows people to post in it. You end up with the main forum having a huge list of subforums at the top whilst trying to view threads, which is probably half the problem at the moment.

(Note: Yes, I like to moan! :D)

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I saw that already tbh.

Personally though I feel that
  1. no-one reads the f'kn Wiki.
  2. previous "let's put it on the Wiki" suggestions have all met with "no, I'd have to register another account" stone wall.
If a few lines bother people that much, it's really, really sad. Especially since after taking some action, we just end up with more moaning.

PS: Draylor, sorry 23:17 and still at work, not editing it today :p

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Hah, no worries: Ive had my whine, now I'll stfu and let you do what you want.

(and probably whine in future if you make the "wrong" decision, but hey thats life :p )

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom