Steam. *Read this folks*

M

mank!

God, it all confuses me so much. I downloaded it, installed it, run it, it's made a new copy of the game and all that gubbins.

Is 1.6 out or what?

C

Ch3tan

The latest beta of 1.6 is out tomorrow. You can still play 1.5 on normal servers for another 2 weeks. Then WON shuts down for good. This will mean that any old versions of HL and its mods will no longer work, they will have no way to authenticate. So yes, within 2 weeks steam will be the only way to play HL and its mods, and Cs 1.6 (in beta or final form) will be the only CS you can play. It is not a buggy beta at all, so enjoy :)

A

-adz-

1.6 final is out today and downloads through the new steam client.

C

Ch3tan

Where did you get the info? Nopne of the official sites show anything about 1.6 final? csnation reports that a new beta vresion will be out tomorrow.

T

throdgrain

I think it is, though I havent updated my steam cs thingy, ran out of time this morning before work :)
Im sure once its updated it wil be 1.6 all the way , particularly as the changelog thing spoke of the 1.6 weapons .

M

Maljonic

Is CS 1.6 any better btw? Otherwise I'm just going to leave it for 2 weeks...

A

-adz-

Originally posted by Ch3tan
Where did you get the info? Nopne of the official sites show anything about 1.6 final? csnation reports that a new beta vresion will be out tomorrow.

I have it :)

(well it doesn't say its beta in the version info)

D

Dr_Weasel

I see from the latest change log that they removed the Bots. Anyone know why? I thought it sounded like a good addition if the AI was any good.

C

Ch3tan

New version of the steam installer out, wheighs in at 388mb and includes the CS 1.6 files. Should solve a lot of peoples install problems. Big download though.

/me apologises for cross posting this info.

M

Maljonic

When I try to play via steam it say, preparing to play counter strike etc and just sits there doing nothing...

D

Deadmanwalking

Maljonic that means it is trying to download the needed patches. Which in this current state of every CS skiddie at home for weekend trying the same. It will take all day/week.

You either wait or get the Steam and CS1.6 patch which comes in at 400mb.

C

Ch3tan

The near 400mb installer is on the ftp. Its not in the /games/steam directory though, its been upped to /games/halflife/steam

M

Maljonic

that's the one I got this morning I think... I just got back now and it still hasn't got anywhere about 4 hours or so later :(

edit: Oh no it isn't; if only I'd waited two more hours....

A

-adz-

steam woes, i wont link u to it in the other thread then :)

C

Ch3tan

Nat has updated the CS Preview server to steam and 1.6 :)

S

scooby-doo

Originally posted by Ch3tan
New version of the steam installer out, wheighs in at 388mb and includes the CS 1.6 files. Should solve a lot of peoples install problems. Big download though.

/me apologises for cross posting this info.

can you post a link of this download m8 should tke me about a week to dl on my modem :)

M

Maljonic

Okay so now I've updated, click the steam icon and nothing happens whatsoever...

C

Ch3tan

from cs.net
Steam File -- Friday, September 12, 2003
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you're having trouble with your Steam updating files, please download the following file. It will manually update your files to Steam.

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/130000/130271.shtml
-- cliffe

R

Rubber Bullets

And for those of us who do not want to give hard earned cash to File Planet?

RB

M

MikeyBear

Good update on the Steampowered website today that explains what the problems are about and whats being done to resolve them.

Still a bit disappointing that despite the popularity of HL and all the beta testing the system went through that they still seem to have been caught off guard by the number of subscriptions and bandwidth needed but still ...at least they seem to be aware of it and willing / able to do summin about it.

Gonna be really interesting to see what the release of CS:CZ and HL2 do to the network.

Users who are viewing this thread