Steam. . .it really does make you steam up.

Zaq

Fledgling Freddie
After countless re-installing of Valve's new system; "Steam", I have managed to see that it's one of the products Valve fabricated to act as a facade of Valve's wanting-to-become-a-standalone-co., like some of the games--the ones which are actually mods--that they sell retail. Now, some of my colleagues and I, have TRIED to install steam just to upgrade from CS 1.5 to 1.6 (mod) and from DoD 1.0 to 1.1 (mod), even though we do have fully functional CD keys, original Half-Life copies, and full client updates; although, some of us varied in OS's. After steam is installed, it would simply crash our PC's. I'm sure it's not the Windows that's setting us down, but maybe something else either having to do with good ole Valve or maybe just something technical we might of missed. If there are any solutions for having Steam run properly without messing up my PC again, please let me know.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Steam runs absolutely perfectly (well with a few hiccups!) for many many thousands of people. i and all my clan mates use it every day.
i think you need to be a bit more specific about your problem, about what sort of net connection you have.

Zaq

Fledgling Freddie
Well, I have 128k ADSL connection. First of all, when Steam is installed and ran, it would usually freeze. It couldn't be forced to respond in cancellation through the ctrl+alt+delete procedure, also I would have to wait a while until the Windows Management pop up would appear. As I would always execute Steam, I end most of my other programs that are running.

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
Steam runs ok for me the majority of the time, granted, but it ALWAYS cocks up whenever there's an update, or a game needs updating. This sounds like it could be your problem too. I reformatted one of my computers a few weeks ago after an upgrade, and after installing Steam again, it took most of the rest of the day to get it A: registered with my old account on that machine, and B: all the games upgraded to whatever their supposed to be.
And there was only CS and DoD that I was upgrading.
I get the hanging and crashing bug quite often as it happens, and like I say, its nearly always at upgrade time.

I honestly don't believe that Valve have written a decent piece of software, and they certainly don't have the means to cater for demand, especially when it comes to updating.

It just doesn't sit right with me, they force Steam upon us and then can't actually make it run properly. Bit like Microsoft really.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Steam install is easiest if you download the full install with CS (about 400mb). This means that as long as you only tell steam to install and update CS it wont try and look for and then download lots of files from the steam servers.

The content servers themselves are often overloaded, most likely on a Wednesday (when new patches come out). Best thing to do is install it late at night and not on a Wednesday, using the full install. Make sure you are using the latest steam install available as well.

Zaq

Fledgling Freddie
I would love to download the latest and up to date patches for CS and DoD at the right moment, but first I must know why Steam is usually busting itself up on my computer. I do have the SteamInstall.exe, although I'm not quite sure if it's the full client or not (I doubt it is). Though it would update my CS flawlessly, when I run CS 1.6 after, it would send Steam on a crash course for some odd reason. Steam then needs to be ended, which of course takes a while for my PC to do so. By the way, Staz, you are also very true. I have heard many, many comments about Steam from many, many users; as the comments are all practically related to each other. From where can I get the full Steam from (that is, after I make sure what type it is I have now)?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You dont need to update any of your games. Just dnowload the full steam install, its about 388mb with CS -its a bigger file if you want it with more mods. Make sure you fully uninstall steam first, and any traces of it. Your not very clear on exactly what you are doing, so please go into detail next time.

Blueyonder should have it on their ftp, check this thread for suggestions of gaming ftp's https://forums.freddyshouse.com/showthread.php?t=3707

Zaq

Fledgling Freddie
I'll see what I can do, maybe I'll dig up a solution by accident, if not I will download the full version of Steam. I don't have any clue about the cause, so I can't really go deep in detail with this problem, all I know is what I have posted so far. Until then, I'll just toy around with CS 1.5 and DoD 1.0.

Zaq

Fledgling Freddie
I have just found out that my steam_install.exe is only 589kb, so I assume that this is not the real deal to what I have in mind. Oddly though, it did take me a while to download it. I'll try downloading the full install of Steam and see if it solves my issue.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
You're not really paying attention are you ?

The Steam install is 500kb. That then allows you to download the whole lot, via Steam, which allowing for a) the vagaries of Steam and b) your 128 k connection is going to take a LONG TIME.
If you download the Steam install PLUS complete Counter-Strike , its about 380mb as has already been explained, you get the whole thing. You just have to click on it to install, then allow Steam to update itself.
On 128 k it is going to take a very very LONG TIME to download 380mb. However, it will be much faster than letting Steam download for you, which in fairness Id say is pretty much a non starter, unless you want to leave your PC running and connected to the internet for maybe 2 or 3 days.

To install CS after you have downloaded the 380mb install you DO NOT need Half-Life or CS or ANYTHING else installed. It is a completely fresh and new program.
The only thing you will need is either your Steam id and password (if you already have one) or the CD key from the front of your Half Life box if you dont.
You Steam ID by the way comes in the form of an email address, and you enter it so, ie Zaq@whatever.com :)

Zaq

Fledgling Freddie
Throdgrain, the time of downloading something via my 128k connection is of no concern. Meaning, I have the time. Besides, you have set aside my main problem: every time I run a Steamed game (generally); steam.exe would simply freeze/crash. Not knowing what the reason may be. Even if I did download the full material, it might not change anything.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Zaq said:
Throdgrain, the time of downloading something via my 128k connection is of no concern. Meaning, I have the time. Besides, you have set aside my main problem: every time I run a Steamed game (generally); steam.exe would simply freeze/crash. Not knowing what the reason may be. Even if I did download the full material, it might not change anything.

Zaq,

Dont confuse STEAM freezing wit it actually figuring out what it SHOULD be doing. I remember it took a HELL of a long time when I first installed for it to figure out what it was meant to do.

Have you left it to do it's thing for a *considerable* length of time?

throdgrain

FH is my second home
On 128k thats probably several hours, assuming you've installed everything already.
After a format recently I installed CS via Steam, no patch or anything, just d/l the 500kb installer and left it to see what happened.
It actually only took an hour or so, but thats on 512 kbs, not 128. Somehow those slower connections do just seem to stop somehow, my brother has 64k isdn, and has to wait for ages and ages to update.
Dont forget also that there is the verification email thing to do once all is installed too.

Zaq

Fledgling Freddie
Lazarus said:
I remember it took a HELL of a long time when I first installed for it to figure out what it was meant to do.
:eek7:

Zaq

Fledgling Freddie
I'll see AGAIN if Steam works without a mess. By the way, this is going to be my 30th time trying it.

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
I can agree with that. People complaing about steam crashing is usually because of impaitence.

Whenever its update time I just set steam off to do its thing and walk away from it. It often looks like its stuck on the "Updating Steam", or perhaps locking up the steam app totally so you cant click it, and the window doesnt refresh, etc. Give it 10-15 minutes and it'll be as right as rain though.

Thats on a 512k ADSL too, although its not network traffic thats always slowing it down. According to my monitors, quite often when it looks like its crashed/stuck, its not taking any CPU time or using the network connection.

Just install the 380MB version, set it off and leave for a few hours until done.

Zaq

Fledgling Freddie
Hmmm. I'm persuaded to either:
1. Download the 380mb version
or
2. Stick to the 500kb version
which should I perform?

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
One thin gI did was Zip (or RAR'ed) my STEAMAPPS directory to a CD (or 2).

Now I can EASILY reinstall CS/DoD quite quickly by simply installing STEAM then copying back the subdirectory and files.

Lot quicker than installing the whole damn thing again

Zaq

Fledgling Freddie
I do the same to other programs. But for some stupid reason, I start forgetting.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
ARghrhhrhrhhrhrhr.

/me pulls out hair.

Just download the 380mb full installa nd try it, let it update itself, close all other programs while it does its thing. Just do that, stop avoiding it. DO IT NOW!!!

/me carries on pulling out hair while sobbing quietly

Zaq

Fledgling Freddie
Chill, Ch3tan. I'm downloading it now, and I always do close other programs while "it does its thing". By the way, is there Podbot for CS 1.6?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The bum owns you Wijlet, or would you rather the boobs came back?

Zaq

Fledgling Freddie
What's up with the bum anyways?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom