Misc Steam entering the hardware game?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Basically, streaming from your pc to a htpc/box - onlive without the lag. Buy game on pc, download to pc, stream to TV.

eksdee

FH is my second home
I think it looks really cool. There's lots of games me and my gf would play together but she doesn't like sitting at the PC for whatever reason, with the ability to play PC games from the TV she'll get to experience lots of cool indie games she would love but wouldn't have had the inclination to play on the PC.

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
Huh? It's just a new UI to navigate the Steam app isn't it?

The comments here suggest there's hardware involved but I didn't see anything shown in the video.

More info?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's just a video forwarder. You plug one end into your 'puter and the other into your telly - and you play your upstairs-computer games on your downstairs-telly...

Or, like me, you don't have a TV in your front room and your 42" telly is your monitor in an "entertainment" room...

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Huh? It's just a new UI to navigate the Steam app isn't it?

The comments here suggest there's hardware involved but I didn't see anything shown in the video.

More info?
That's what it is. You can use it either as just a new UI or basically it'll do the same thing as Apple AirPort if you have something less powerful that's hooked up to your TV. Doubtless going forward there will be Smart TV apps, etc. If I were Valve, I'd be opening this stuff up so somebody makes it work on a Raspberry Pi, £25 for a box and it would be yours and you could do whatever you wanted on it and at the switch of a SD card it'd let you run your latest FPS on a TV, that's gotta be cheaper than developing for a Samsung TV, etc.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I was wrong in description btw, it literally is just a TV mode for steam. not network steaming :(

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ignore me, apparently what has been going around the net and what it actually does are totally different.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Meh, I still don't understand why you would need to mess about, just connect it to the TV surely?

Isn't the max length of a HDMI cable pretty long? or use a cat5 extender...isn't HDMi just jazzed up expensive cat5 anyway?

My wife would kill me if I had a PC in the bedroom!

Last edited:

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
edit timer. I suppose if it's totally wireless it would be OK but not exactly ground breaking and I can't see all that many people bothering with it, certainly not worth any real financial investment from Steam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom