Misc Steam entering the hardware game?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
More interested in the Half Life remake that'll be free next week.

I did like Half Life when it came out but I never played more than the first couple of levels. I found the gameplay to be a bit, well, aged. Would love to give it a go now it's not under pressure from exciting multiplayer games that took preference when it was out.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
aged? It was groundbreaking, the single player at least.

As for the hardware sales, overwhelmed by apathy.

Mouse and keyboard are fine for PC games. Only spastics like to flail at the screen to play games.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Mouse and keyboard are fine for PC games. Only spastics like to flail at the screen to play games.

There's a huge gap between mouse/kb and wiimote controllers and the like. Mouse/kb is the best solution for FPS etc currently available, but that certainly doesn't mean its the optimum solution. Of course there have been plenty of attempts at alternatives in the past, and some of them have even been objectively better (I had a go with a few at various E3s and some, like the Belkin Nostromo were actually excellent once you got used to them), but they've never got traction because like using a dvorak keyboard, there's not enough of a benefit and too much of a learning curve to make it worthwhile for the vast majority. To be honest I'd be surprised if Valve are working on something so...banal, as a new controller. I'd still bet on them looking at something more like OnLive but targeting the PC "lean forward" market rather than the console "lean back" market.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
It wasn't groundbreaking. It was standard FPS single player with a couple of minor puzzley elements. It had all been done before, just probably not as well.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
It wasn't groundbreaking. It was standard FPS single player with a couple of minor puzzley elements. It had all been done before, just probably not as well.

On its release, critics hailed its overall presentation and numerous scripted sequences, and it won over 50 PC Game of the Year awards.Its gameplay influenced the design of first-person shooters for years after its release, and it is widely considered to be one of the greatest computer games of all time. As of 16 November 2004, Half-Life sold eight million copies,and 9.3 million copies by December 2008. As of 14 July 2006, the Half-Life franchise has sold over 20 million units. Half-Life was followed by the 2004 sequel Half-Life 2, which also received critical acclaim. Half-Life has had a notable cultural impact with its community mods and sequels spawning a large fanbase and cult following.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
So where does that say it hadn't been done before?

Just because it had a lot of influence it doesn't mean that this type of FPS game hadn't been made... it had been made in various different games for years. It was just considered the best at it.

Like I said, I was and still am an avid FPS player. At the time I played it it didn't grab me as anything special or exciting. It was a solid game, much like a lot of FPSs but it didn't excite me enough to buy it or to want to play it.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
I guess we'll have to take your expert opinion over the rest of the computer world Wazz!

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
They'll release a console, where you pay £200 for it, then a £100 a year fee to download unlimited games.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
i liked half-life, but didnt think it was the greatest thing in the universe when it came out o_O

and i never bothered with Half-life 2 :(

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Yeah, HL1 was solid but I never got that "wow" factor from it. HL2 on the other hand really did push the envelope of what a FPS could do.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
They'll release a console, where you pay £200 for it, then a £100 a year fee to download unlimited games.

No, they'll release a console which after two years will be on sale at £2. But on the day before it's third anniversary, they'll all self destruct. Valve doesn't do 3.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I guess we'll have to take your expert opinion over the rest of the computer world Wazz!

Hilarity. People agree with me. See below. I also said I wanted to play it to see what I'd missed, so not sure how my opinion could be considered "expert?" Oh of course, you're just talking utter shite because someone has offered something different to the discussion.

i liked half-life, but didnt think it was the greatest thing in the universe when it came out o_O

and i never bothered with Half-life 2 :(
Yeah, HL1 was solid but I never got that "wow" factor from it. HL2 on the other hand really did push the envelope of what a FPS could do.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I don't see it to be honest.

Valve are likely exploring options at the moment what with the hiring of an economist, the linux hacking, etc.

In my eyes this is all them pissing around with stuff trying to see if there is a potential market that doesn't exist yet.

As DaGaffer says, controllers, etc. = banal. I'd be expecting Valve to come up with something far more nerd that is an easy gaming accessory to sell.

I dunno, maybe a mouse that takes your pulse readings and cranks up the tension in a horror game, etc.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Hilarity. People agree with me. See below. I also said I wanted to play it to see what I'd missed, so not sure how my opinion could be considered "expert?" Oh of course, you're just talking utter shite because someone has offered something different to the discussion.

When people agree with you, you must be right!

ECA

I am a FH squatter
It wouldn't surprise me if they came out with a yearly "steam box" that was essentially a decent midrange pc.

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
So where does that say it hadn't been done before?

Just because it had a lot of influence it doesn't mean that this type of FPS game hadn't been made... it had been made in various different games for years. It was just considered the best at it.

Like I said, I was and still am an avid FPS player. At the time I played it it didn't grab me as anything special or exciting. It was a solid game, much like a lot of FPSs but it didn't excite me enough to buy it or to want to play it.

Wazzer, I love you brah but half life was ORIGINAL and genre redefining. What it had had not been done before there were fps...doom, quake... There were 3d RPGs type of thing, probably system shock worth thinking about, but as for a 3d shooter with a decent engine, amazing for the time graphics, a story, immersive soundtrack, puzzles, set pieces etc.... There wasn't anything like it before and to be honest there's not really been anything like it since. Half life is one of videogaming's greatest achievements

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
As for the topic at hand and the wisdom of valve releasing a box it could work. If one were to make some assumptions the the idea has definite merit. So these assumptions:

Specification capable of driving a 1920x1080 res @60+ fps. It won't realistically need to drive higher res as chances are fair it's gonna be hdmi equipped and designed to be attached to a tv.

It needs to either be running Linux for zero to minimal licensing costs or they somehow need to convince ms that they aren't a threat to Xbox and Xbox live and get some mass discount for some customised version of windows.

Needs to be compatible with standard pc peripherals e.g. Keyboard and mouse via USB. I can see a barebones package with just the box and a premium package with branded keyboard mouse and gamepad.

It's more likely to have a 500gb hard disk than say an ssd.

I can see AMD Chips over intel due to the pricing.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It wouldn't surprise me if they came out with a yearly "steam box" that was essentially a decent midrange pc.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. Probably android or Linux based, seeing as MS pissed them off so much.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Say a decentish i5, 8gb ram, 500gb harddrive, custom mobo/form factor for tv w/ own controllers.
You can put together a pc now for 700-800 that will be a much better piece of hardware than the next gen of consoles
With steams purchasing power and needs they could skimp a little and probably get that down to 600-700 ish. They could easily sell 1mill+ units a year if it's actually a good piece of hardware.

Imagine the ads.. "want to play TES6 ? why play on your childrens console... play on STEAMBOX, - compare shiny graphics" BUY NOW.

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
Say a decentish i5, 8gb ram, 500gb harddrive, custom mobo/form factor for tv w/ own controllers.
You can put together a pc now for 700-800 that will be a much better piece of hardware than the next gen of consoles
With steams purchasing power and needs they could skimp a little and probably get that down to 600-700 ish. They could easily sell 1mill+ units a year if it's actually a good piece of hardware.

Imagine the ads.. "want to play TES6 ? why play on your childrens console... play on STEAMBOX, - compare shiny graphics" BUY NOW.

Depends what you call decent i5. My kids pc has an i5 3450. I.e. bottom of the new ivy bridge range, it canes everything thrown at it, and that's combined with year+ old GeForce 560Ti 1gb graphics. His whole pc including monitor and windows came to a few pence under 800. The general public won't tolerate that price point. To be honest £350 would be pushing it. These are difficult times. The gen public know brands like Xbox and playstation. They begrudge paying £250 for one of those. A lot of my friends are parents and I don't know a single one of them that would drop 800 or even 600 on a gaming system.

Thinking about it I can actually see some sort of rental / contract model like a mobile phone, I.e. an up front payment them 12/24 months of monthly payments. Not entirely sure how the game pricing would work then. I can't see them going with pay x monthly fee for unlimited access to games.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Wazzer, I love you brah but half life was ORIGINAL and genre redefining. What it had had not been done before there were fps...doom, quake... There were 3d RPGs type of thing, probably system shock worth thinking about, but as for a 3d shooter with a decent engine, amazing for the time graphics, a story, immersive soundtrack, puzzles, set pieces etc.... There wasn't anything like it before and to be honest there's not really been anything like it since. Half life is one of videogaming's greatest achievements

Oi, SS2 was way better than the original Half-Life in terms of atmosphere, sounds, gameplay. I'm with Wazz on this one, I never saw the diamond in Half-Life. Tribes on the other hand...

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Don't get me wrong, I'm not denying what it is.

Just when it came out it felt a little dated. Q3Test was about and release was around the corner, as was UT - these were much more exciting, involving games to me, largely because they were multiplayer focused. I'd ran around corridors and environments shooting aliens to a tenuous story before. It just didn't grab me like the move into the better online/LANN FPSs.

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
Hmmm, I suppose you're entitled to your opinion :) no one will ever shift me from my belief that it was a pivotal title within the genre though :)

Back to the on-topic though, I can't see valve using this interchangeable controller thing I've seen the patents for, it seems too gimmicky.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Activating a Steam PC, please enter your code....

I did not get a an emailed code...go to support to generate another code email...nothing received
3 weeks of support activity....unresolved!

Exactly what happened to a steam account I set up for my son this summer. Just wanted to play some games together.

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
I'd be surprised to see Valve release a 'Steam Box' or any sort of PC. I reckon it's far more likely that if they do release any hardware at all it'll be some sort of input device.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hmmm... VR headset or goggles?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
If they even try and do VR at the same time that Carmack is doing one they're making a mistake.

If they do VR they have to work with him. I take it most people have read about the crude VR thing he's developed that's essentially already the best thing ever to happen to VR? That man has a crazy, crazy brain (in a very good way).

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It could be something as boring as custom PCs or branded graphics cards...or even cloud or stream based gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom