State of the Champion - July 2003

H

harleydave

This is from Jubal, the Champion TL and with feedback from mythic's Producer in chage of balance. Mike, has already done the other hib tanks feedback too, and there is quite some feedback.

Some points that really are to be looked in all feedback is that they are constantly mentioning the revamp of many melee styles and also the majority of RA's, this is being done before the launch of the RvR patch, so the TL's will be working in order to get things fixed for the patch that according to the Champ TL "will dramatically change the way we RvR"

for the BM's Jelinar's Report and feedback is found here : http://vnboards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=53438514&replies=47

For the Hero En-Sin's Report with feedback is found here :
http://vnboards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=53149896&replies=169

Champs, read below

Since my last ‘State of the Champion’ report many things have changed with the Team Lead program. First, they hired Mike Lescault as the Producer in-charge of Balance, and also tasked him with operating the Team Lead program. This single change was huge, and of course had a cascading effect on the entire program. As long as I have been with the program we have had a Team Lead coordinator, but never one that performed the job full-time. This enables him to focus his efforts on improving communication between the Team Leads and the Developers, which benefits all of us.

One of the changes that Mike implemented was in our Team Lead reports. As I’m sure you have noticed in my last report, we now have a template to follow. If Mythic is going to quickly process all of the Team Leads concerns and issues, we have to make it easier for them. This means that my reports are going to be more focused and to the point. The result of this is that I will receive feedback to my report shortly after submitting it. It’s a deal! In the past, receiving feedback required a lot more effort and legwork; this is a welcomed improvement and makes my job much easier.

Also, Team Leads now have a ‘fast track’ to report bugs to Mythic that makes things easier for us and them. You may have read some feedback where Mike said to /appeal the problem; this is what he is referring to. The way Mythic's bug tracking software works, the easiest way to get a bug logged is to use /appeal. In fact, Mike says that when he enters bugs into the system, he logs on and /appeals them himself. As bugs are reported in this manner now, my Team Reports will be more focused on balance. I will be posting a thread at the Hall of Valor with bugs that I’m aware of and tested so we can keep track of them.

There are many things coming down the pipeline for Dark Age of Camelot, with two more updates/expansions planned in the near future. The first of these will be a Realm vs. Realm update patch; next will be the retail expansion, Trials of Atlantis. After that there will be a large (and free) RvR Expansion on the scale of the Housing expansion, that I am told will dramatically change the way we RvR. While Mythic is developing these, there will be different areas of the code that they will be working on. While they already have the code open and are working on it, they will be resolving many related issues at the same time. It makes more sense and saves time for them to ‘kill two birds with one stone’.

Now, onto our report! After the overview, the first section of our Team Lead report listed four concerns of the Champion class.

The first concern on the report was our effectiveness against unbuffed opponents. I suggested that debuffs reduce the delve amount against unbuffed opponents instead of less as they do now. There will be a review coming up soon in which they will be working on resist debuffs. That’s when they will ‘have the hood open’ on debuffs and I will discuss this with them at that time. That doesn’t mean that the change is or isn’t going through. It means that it’s the time to bring it up again.

The next concern I brought up was our endurance costs. The Champion is not the only class that runs into this problem; it’s common among many hybrids. Unlike styles, there is a flat endurance cost for any spell casted. Basically, this means that every class is on an even footing here. It’s not a game aspect that is likely to be ‘tuned’ by class. Mike told me that it’s a tough issue and that they are looking into ways to address it, but reducing the endurance cost is not the answer.

The next issue was our snare spell and how it interacts with speed songs. In this aspect of the report I made a mistake in the reporting. I stated that our snare was ‘overwritten’ by speed. Bad choice of words on my part, speed and snare stack together. The word back is that the two spells are supposed to stack, with our snare reducing the total speed by 40%. I still feel that snare needs improvement, and one of my goals for the next report is to make a good case for that.

The last of the primary concerns was our attack speed debuff. What I requested, is that the variables for attack speed debuffs and haste in the combat engine be added after style damage is calculated. It would allow these spells to 'strictly' affect weapon speed and nothing else. They plan to do a review on how quickness, haste, and attack speed debuffs interact with style damage. However, Mike wasn’t sure when they would be able to get to it with so much on their plates. I’m glad they will be taking a look at it.

The next section of the report was for specline issues. Our report contained style problems. Style issues remain a common theme among multiple TL reports. Mythic plans to do a thorough style review to address the remaining issues, including our concern regarding short duration stuns. Melee stuns can be a tricky balancing act, as they can be a decisive component in an RvR battle. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for the style review!

The next section was our short list of ‘Other issues’.

The first of these was the exemption flag on 65+ mobs not applied to debuffs. This makes it more difficult for a Champion to use their debuff spells in high level encounters. Mythic is going to look into this, and Mike asked me to appeal it to ensure that it was in the bug tracking database.

Next up was our resist rates. Mike is going to need more than my one liner if I’m going to make a case for change. I plan to make this one of my ‘top 4’ on my next report.

Wrath of the Champion will be looked at in an upcoming Realm Ability review. Hopefully we’ll see this ability improved at this time. I’ll bring it up for discussion when that time comes.

Next was a request to print the amount debuffed, similar to what Wild Arcana does. Essentially, this is fluff. With everything up and coming on the table, this isn’t one that is likely to see the light of day anytime soon. If the time is right in the future I may bring this up again, but for now I’m dropping it.

Next I proposed Wild Power for Champions. Mike didn’t see this happening, but I can make a case for it during the realm ability review. This issue is on hold for now but it’s certainly a topic we should discuss and see what we can come up with.

The last issue I proposed was Determination at an increased cost for melee based hybrids. The implementation of Determination was to assist those who needed to be in melee range to stop a caster. Champions not only are able to interrupt a caster from 1500 range, but we have two ways to do so. I talked to Mike about it, and he suggested I focus elsewhere.

The last section of our report related to placing the +Valor stat on high end loot items and epic rewards, and the bonuses of our Epic Armor. These concerns have been forwarded on to the Art and Quest teams.

The feedback for this report has been really helpful. I know which issues are on the table to be looked at soon, which issues I need to test and explain further, and which issues are not likely to go through. All in all I feel the Champion is in great shape, and I’m looking forward to the upcoming reviews that will address much of our report.

Cheers

HD

D

Draggnarok

Dude sod that! fix ip! 23 rps is tooooooooo much! :D

R

rauno

give Champs Determination and yes 23 points for ip thats like over 2 realm levels i am geting a feeling that someone at Mythic h8s Champs :(((

S

saltymcpepper

kool didnt know champs were the only class that payed 23 ra points for ip.
my hero must be bugged, he hasnt got his insta debuffs, snare, dd, and selfbuff

E

Exiled

thats cause you made a damn firby instead of a lurikeen, and you picked the wrong trainer, mooseboy

D

Draggnarok

well if it was possible i would vote for determination but 23 rps is f**k loads, and btw, the debuffs do jack all in zergs and the snare, omfg dont get me started :(

Originally posted by rauno
i am geting a feeling that someone at Mythic h8s Champs :(((

/agree wtf they playing at? :D u cant give a class a self buff and a few usless debuffs and a sh*t snare and then take away a very important ra for tanks.

but its not like im complaining here :)

I

ilaya

..and we dont want an improvement to Wrath of the Champion either.. we would like something USEFUL as a champ only RA please.. not something that is gonna aoe-break-mez ffs.

aoe damage add for friendly chars for instance?... 30 secs max?
wrath of the champion.. think about it.. champion.. not fuggin mez breaker.
used to be handy as a last resort for some fins grps mind u :p

oh and btw.. u cant interrupt casters 2 different ways if u are mezzed :) or stunned.. OOOOOO! give an insta stun :) like those other hibs...erm.. hmmm... /ponder

Users who are viewing this thread