State of PvE (?)

O

old.Tzeentch

I'm not really known for my ventures into PvE.. I have done some, but for a few reasons, overall, PvE is a large bore to me.

I don't mean the stuff like fins, xp'ing to 50 etc etc, I'm referring strictly to high level 'encounters' as they tend to be called.

Virtually any mob now, can be tamed with a few people, a bot or two, a healer or 3, some power pots, mana chanter.. you all know the drill.

Siabra queen used to be fun, still probably is.. but the lack of a reward puts off many people from even going into Cullen, never mind actually risking the constitution loss from dying from the hordes of level 65+ mobs.

If I can ramble for a bit, back in beta, one of my favourite times was when doing the mentalist epic at level 21 or so.. we had to speak to a druid in the cliffs of moher, who was in a siabra camp..

So I got some good friends together and we went to do this part of the quest.

Upon nearing the area, we got scouted, and around 6+ siabra mages/fighters came, with their chain stuns and nukes ;p

Of course, being beta, I was grouped with all kinds of classes/multi specs..

So nothing 'uber' or wtfpwning druids/bards to control anything..

We fought these mobs for well over a minute or two, several times coming near death, but in the end, no-one died and we made it out alive.. now that was fun ;p

But.. fast forward to now.. and high end encounters tend to be either

a) focus pulling <insert uber mob name here>

or

b) zerging around, and then finally zerging <insert uber mob name here>

followed by

lotto.

I dunno.

Now, my favourite and one of my most enjoyable PvE encounters, the dragon, has been completely fucked beyond belief.

Of course it was only a matter of time, but isn't it ridiculous, something which once had the respect of being a mighty foe (or pain in the ass.. whatever you prefer), is now killable by an amount of people, which would yield high reward with minimal or little risk?

No, it isn't just that it's way too easy to kill that's pissing me off, it's just a culmination of crap PvE.. and that was really the last thing I could look forward to organising really.

I guess this is a rant, but I'm not too captivated by the notion that people kill virtually every mob in this game with such ease.

It really bores me and leaves no challenge.. I don't need any items or whatever.. my specs and SC are fine.

Just kinda pathetic that the 'epic' dungeon is done regularly with a huge zerg, taking the greater part of an evening, the other SI dungeons have no point to overcoming them, and the classic encounters are not worth the challenge anymore also.

I don't know what my point was, but I guess I wanted to see if others felt similar, or perhaps the opposite.

L

luribeauty

aint they nerfing the focus shield soon though.so them old days should be comeing back to hib.

R

Ravenbourne

I agree all you need now is chanter/druid/bard, how long is it until they focus the dragon, focus shield and SC has totally ruined PvE.

C

Ceap

well once my ranger hits 50 its goodbye to xp for good... ow wait need a bb still /bah

O

old.Laryssa

Originally posted by luribeauty
aint they nerfing the focus shield soon though.so them old days should be comeing back to hib.

1.65D

Cabalist/Enchanter/Spiritmaster changes

- The focus damage shield spell lines found in the Cabalist, Spiritmaster and Enchanter spell lists have been adjusted so that using them against monsters or players higher level than the =caster= has reduced effect. These spells have been used in exploitive ways that make certain encounters much easier than originally intended. Players will now have to use more conventional tactics to get past high-level encounter areas.

J

Jayce_DA

I agree with you completely, it was so much fun getting a grp together and trying to kill something hard or going to a big bad dungeon or just exploring.

Now all you do is get a mana chanter and a couple of healers, download the 'guide' and do what it says how it says, shout and swear at those who dont listen incase you take more then 50% dam, then get the drop and lotto it ..... yay fun ! Not.

But, I have had the fortune to not get involved in RvR much at all, so I am now just starting to get into RvR with my Warden and so far it is great fun.

I hope the next add-on can bring something new though ...

R

Rubric

Originally posted by old.Tzeentch
I'm not really known for my ventures into PvE.. I have done some, but for a few reasons, overall, PvE is a large bore to me.

I don't mean the stuff like fins, xp'ing to 50 etc etc, I'm referring strictly to high level 'encounters' as they tend to be called.

Virtually any mob now, can be tamed with a few people, a bot or two, a healer or 3, some power pots, mana chanter.. you all know the drill.

Siabra queen used to be fun, still probably is.. but the lack of a reward puts off many people from even going into Cullen, never mind actually risking the constitution loss from dying from the hordes of level 65+ mobs.

If I can ramble for a bit, back in beta, one of my favourite times was when doing the mentalist epic at level 21 or so.. we had to speak to a druid in the cliffs of moher, who was in a siabra camp..

So I got some good friends together and we went to do this part of the quest.

Upon nearing the area, we got scouted, and around 6+ siabra mages/fighters came, with their chain stuns and nukes ;p

Of course, being beta, I was grouped with all kinds of classes/multi specs..

So nothing 'uber' or wtfpwning druids/bards to control anything..

We fought these mobs for well over a minute or two, several times coming near death, but in the end, no-one died and we made it out alive.. now that was fun ;p

But.. fast forward to now.. and high end encounters tend to be either

a) focus pulling <insert uber mob name here>

or

b) zerging around, and then finally zerging <insert uber mob name here>

followed by

lotto.

I dunno.

Now, my favourite and one of my most enjoyable PvE encounters, the dragon, has been completely fucked beyond belief.

Of course it was only a matter of time, but isn't it ridiculous, something which once had the respect of being a mighty foe (or pain in the ass.. whatever you prefer), is now killable by an amount of people, which would yield high reward with minimal or little risk?

No, it isn't just that it's way too easy to kill that's pissing me off, it's just a culmination of crap PvE.. and that was really the last thing I could look forward to organising really.

I guess this is a rant, but I'm not too captivated by the notion that people kill virtually every mob in this game with such ease.

It really bores me and leaves no challenge.. I don't need any items or whatever.. my specs and SC are fine.

Just kinda pathetic that the 'epic' dungeon is done regularly with a huge zerg, taking the greater part of an evening, the other SI dungeons have no point to overcoming them, and the classic encounters are not worth the challenge anymore also.

I don't know what my point was, but I guess I wanted to see if others felt similar, or perhaps the opposite.

You must be going mad my friend................ I completly agree with you on this one. I guess though until new stuff is implemente this is the way MMORPG's go.

S

sheph

With nerf of FOCUS and ToA inc mebbe will we have good PvE again... :)

A

angara-ffs

Originally posted by sheph

Dreams my friend....dreams :sleeping:
PvE is there for two things imo <<<<----IMO

1. farming items/gold for SC
2. Hit 50 and RvR

ps sheph: Wie ghetst? :cool:

P

PJS

Have we killed our dragon yet? If its so easy why isnt it farmed every night, 25 full respecs a kill not worth it?

What about the SI dragon hydra thing? Bet that hasnt died on excal yet. Too hard is it?

Try making it a challenge, see how few people you can still win with, you dont HAVE to zerg it.

A

Amadon

PvE is too repetitive, the AI in DAoC sucks which is the main problem. Every encounter just requires finding the correct method, and once it's found, there's not much challenge.

The game has lost pretty much all appeal for me personally, both in PvE and RvR. I just hope the next generation of MMORPGs will be an improvement.

O

old.Moriaana

The problem with PvE in my opinion is the crappy ( at least now ) rewards you get. I was discussing this in /gu a few days ago while xping my heroine in CM on <cough> weeweres. I remember when Sable Drakescale armour and dullahan armour was THE fashion accessory for up and coming druids/wardens/tanks...now its still good...as /salvage.

Spellcrafting has pretty much ruined PvE for me. You can cap everything essential without any hard work. Just do a couple of quests, some of which you can even solo. You don't even need MP armour. I capped all resists, str, con, dex, hits etc on my druid with only 99% armour..

Lets face it, PvE isn't a challenge any more. These no reason to fight 90% of the mobs in this game, because what they drop is either pointless items that you can get better by doing a quest, or useless armour because you can get better quality with the stats YOU want made in a fraction of the time it takes to farm a set.

To be honest it's the new people just starting the game I feel sorriest for...they can't afford to buy crafted/spellcrafted gear, but nobody hunts mobs that would drop stuff they can use !!

I used to like hunting in CM/Cullen for drops but now... it's just not worth it.

As for stuff from the dungeons in SI..theres only really stuff from Galladoria thats worth going for. The stuff dropped by named mobs in Fomoria and Tur Suil just isn't anywhere near as good as you can get made. And even if it IS good stats-wise, it's quality ( usually 95% or lower ) makes it undesirable to use. I don't even know why they bothered with Fomoria and Tur Suil actually once they released spellcrafting :p

Gosh, that was a long post :D

B

boni_ofdavoid

Originally posted by PJS
Have we killed our dragon yet? If its so easy why isnt it farmed every night, 25 full respecs a kill not worth it?

What about the SI dragon hydra thing? Bet that hasnt died on excal yet. Too hard is it?

Try making it a challenge, see how few people you can still win with, you dont HAVE to zerg it.

I agree with that. The challenge is out there if you want it.

Oh and stop moaning about focus shield ruining stuff. Just cause a focus group can kill some mobs doesnt mean other methods dont work, its whine and jealosy thats all.

If focus sheild didnt exist, or when the nerf happens all it will mean is that there are a lot less epic drops around and people will level a lot slower. Is that good for hibernia? Go look in your vault and ask yourself how many items did you buy / trade that came from a focus pull originally...

I regularly farm 100% qual Rog items / weapons etc with fantastic imbue. Anyone else seen items with +7 stats on them? If you think rog items are all rubbish, perhaps youve just been following the zerg.

Theres a named creature I have fought 9 times this week and lost every time, but the battle is fun, and the challenge is there.

You think focus pull isnt a challenge? Try doing umihar with a rr3 chanter and rr2 druid.

Im planning a guild outing to kill the grand summoner, I recon thats gonna be a laugh if we bring the right attitude along.

Challenge and fun is there if you want it and have the right attitude. Bring people that say things like 'Can we go, I dont do pve for this amount of time' (something i heard on the galla FE run) and your pve will suck.

S

Spamb0t

Originally posted by sheph

u mean.... boring pve!! :x

focus dmgshield pve > any other pve tbh! the easier the betterrrrrr!

A

Amadon

Originally posted by boni_ofdavoid
Im planning a guild outing to kill the grand summoner, I recon thats gonna be a laugh if we bring the right attitude along.
did GS with 6 people the other night
boring, but got the RA respec that someone needed :eek:

O

old.Biffsmash

I think it's mainly because people forget why they do these things. I go hunt monsters with my friends not because I can or can't kill them or because they will or won't drop something I need, but because I want to group with my friends and make some fun conversations and take the piss out of stuff :)

In the end of the day the game has/will or is getting boring, like all games do. But i'm still here to talk to my friends, group with cool people and kill stupid or ugly looking monsters while we all have fun.

O

old.Tzeentch

Somehow I knew nova would respond, and somehow I know my old friend would respond in the same manner as he always has..

Nov, you've been around as long.. in fact, just a little bit longer than me, yet I know you do the focus thing in galla sometimes, but also do the guild outing type thing, what do you think?

PJS, the dragon has been killed, can I do it again? Without doubt, but he is only easier now.. I don't see where the fun is if I use less people, but just taking an hour extra. Or, getting to the level as they have on Stonehenge, killing it with 10 people.

Sure, it's a great amount of loot/reward those guys made, but, lol? When they make it that a level 33 can solo a mob like one of the epics in Cursed Forest, albeit with some difficulty, would you say that's a good thing?

Something that required.. needed the effort of dozens in a co-ordinated manner to overcome, can now be done with much less co-ordination, work, people, and overall use of abilities?

You can argue that 'these few people need to be more co-ordinated than a larger amount of people' etc etc, sure, and there might be reason in that, but I know for a fact that dealing with more people usually is more fun and more difficult.

It's not a 'moan', or a whine against FDS, I've never gone against FDS, and I'm all for it, mainly in terms of proper xp, but when your biggest dungeon can be done with the use of FDS, you know something is slightly wrong.

<Yes, I'm aware of the new patchnotes on that>

I also don't think it's the 'go out and create the challenge' thing I've got to do, anyone that knows me should know I've always gone and done the work on whatever I wanted to do.

It simply is not there. As a person who has no need for further items, equipment, I can kinda look at what people in the realm do and see little challenge there for me.

Grand Summoner? Sure, once he might have been fun, until I realised how simple the encounter is and how mediocre.. the baby summoners were interesting too, but when something can be farmed, it's a bit difficult to think of it as something challenging.

Again, it's difficult to categorise and put down all in neat little tables for the politically correct/we need hard evidence/we need details type people, but it is what it is.

B

boni_ofdavoid

Originally posted by Amadon
did GS with 6 people the other night
boring, but got the RA respec that someone needed :eek:

Why was it boring? Can it just be focused with no challenge? I had kinda hoped the summoners would do some summoning or have a trick up their sleeve...

This will be a big challenge to our guild. We dont know what the summoners do, so we will be taking a guild group that can both focus and tank, having never made it past the commiciers its a complete unknown to us and we stand as much chance of failing as succeeding, i doubt many of us will go away with the impression that it was boring.

O

old.Icebreaker

I had lots of fun leveling in beta. Funky Ants with Tzee. Drakes near Connla. Treibh Caillte was uber. Pulling the Ursine to our special spot. Every pull was a challenge. With mezz and killing them one by one. Slow XP but very funny. Loved it. Now its just Pbaoe 4thewin or Focus pulling :/

Other funny places were the curmudgeon camp in the frontier with the spikes outside.(There was always a Dullahan patrolling who we had to watch :D) First Bog of Cullen encounters like bears or Wraiths near the Town :clap: (RUN TO THE GUARDS!!!! OMG the Guards getting killed)

A

Amadon

Originally posted by boni_ofdavoid
Why was it boring? Can it just be focused with no challenge? I had kinda hoped the summoners would do some summoning or have a trick up their sleeve...
once you know how to do it, it can be focused using a macro :(
(well.. for 5 or 6 people.. could do it with 5 I suspect, probably even 4)

This will be a big challenge to our guild. We dont know what the summoners do, so we will be taking a guild group that can both focus and tank, having never made it past the commiciers its a complete unknown to us and we stand as much chance of failing as succeeding, i doubt many of us will go away with the impression that it was boring.
enjoy it while it lasts :)
I won't spoil it for you :p

B

boni_ofdavoid

Originally posted by Amadon
once you know how to do it, it can be focused using a macro :(
(well.. for 5 or 6 people.. could do it with 5 I suspect, probably even 4)

enjoy it while it lasts :)
I won't spoil it for you :p

Well we tried today with 6 very low rr people (two here even lvl 43). We killed a lesser summoner and got grand summoner down a fair way, but decided to escape via the teleport as our healers where losing mana too fast once he turned into his true form (we lost both our nurture druids one to LD and one to an autorelease due to our experiments on lesser summoner).

we had fun, next time we will nail him, though I see what you mean about boring (or long time at least), GS seems to have a billion hitpoints took us ages just to get him to change form.

L

Lessurl

Originally posted by old.Moriaana
I don't even know why they bothered with Fomoria and Tur Suil actually once they released spellcrafting :p

An xp spot far better than fins and a lot more fun? :p

V

VodkaFairy

Most people won't agree with me but I think fins > ts in "fun". The same half naked ogres all the time and a floor that is so bright it hurts my eyes with torch on = nono :(

Rather pull from a normal camp in the grass :p

O

old.Moriaana

So explain to me if its :

An xp spot far better than fins and a lot more fun?

Why is it always empty or the entrance camped by soloers ? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom