Starting up DAoC...?

Niroth350

Fledgling Freddie
I aplogize of some of these questions could be quickly answered at the herald.. the work firewall is not a fan of the herald or DAoC.com :)

I have recently cancelled my WoW account after 2 years because I could not handle the PvE fest any longer, I had held on with hopes that their upcoming PvP patch would help, but, alas, it has not. I am looking for some PvP oriented MMOG to fill the time until Warhammer, or even Warhammer beta if i am so lucky. I am considering playing around with Shadowbane and Planetside, simply due to their freeness, but was also wondering about one of my old favorite DAoC. I realize it is getting on in the years but as the spiritual prequel to Warhammer it might be a good choice to get psyched up for it, and I've heard it isn't that hideous looking (Shadowbane) with the new engine.

I own (somewhere) the original DAoC and SI.. I was an early beta tester and played for a number of months after release until life got to busy and I left. If I wanted to try out DAoC again what would I need to purchase? I *think* the original, SI and ToA can now be had for free with a subscription? That would leave me with needing to buy 1 or 2 other expansions? There are a lot of bundles I see but am not sure if any of them included everything.. perhaps the "epic" pack? I was also curious as to if I just played with classic, SI and ToA for now would I get the new graphics engine or would it be the SI engine.

Expansion packs aside, do people think its worth coming back to? My basic concern is will it be possible to be even marginally effective in RvR against people who have been around for years? I have heard Mythic has been trying to lower the grind up to RvR and make ToA less neccessary. If it takes a year to be able to compete there really isn't much point in starting it up then is there.

One last question, what is the story behind the Classic server? I have seen a few explanations but they didn't make all that much sense.

Thanks for the help - sorry for so many ? 's:worthy:

Laddey

FH is my second home
Welcome.

Well you can get Classic&SI&TOA for free, with a 14 day free subscription, but once that is up you will need to subscribe. You can get the downloads & stuff from the official website. You dont actually need a CD to play you can download it through the camelot.exe. Then you can buy a Catas & DR serial key from, the official website :)

The story behind classic is well. No TOA. No master levels, no artifacts and so on, anything related to TOA you wont get on classic server. No /level and so on

Is it worth coming back to DAoC? Well theres alot of debating going on about ''DAoC is dying!'' and so on, but i quit for a while and i've recently come back and i'm enjoying is on the Cluster with TOA and so on. I think it's great TOA'ing and Masterleveling your first char ands eeing what depths you can take it to :)

So basically, i reckon its worth subscribing and testing it if you like it yourself! Good game, good rvr. Customer Support is abit crap but the problem gets solved majority of the time. I've had like 4 cases with GOA and my problems being solved within a day or two. Yesterday i had to get the Cloudsong encounter reset, i got an email at 6:45 PM! (out of office hours) and it got solved. Well good look!

Regards

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
IMO the PvP system in DAoC is by far the best around in any MMO, and tbh the PvE since you left has improves immensly. On that note Id say its worth returning from WOW alone.

As for the expansion, TOA is really all you need for RvR on the standard servers, getting Master Levels, Artifacts and xp is quite essential from that expansion. Catacombes and Darkness Rising can help with personal mounts and the Champion Weapons, but I would not call them essential.

The grind and RP system is much better than the old days, get a decent guild (theres still plenty about) and youll be up and running again in no time!

You can buy to download the expansion from the main web site http://daoc.goa.com , which is quite easy, or even log into your old accounts subs and get them through that.

The classic server, this has all the features of the standard servers without Trials of Atlantis, which many felt unbalanced the game and brought new grind. Its shared by all the euro players, so isnt pure english, but soon after its release, its population started dwindling down. It can be a fun ruleset to play on, heavily dominated by the hibs at present, but some find it dull and lacking. Try it and see is my only tip.

In all, DAoC is still fun despite what you might read on this forum, and still has life in it, unlike some of its players ;)

Nate

FH is my second home
Well all you'd have to do to play is subscribe or do the 14 day free trial(done through subscription)and download the ToA client, you would be running in classic graphics. To upgrade to the new stuff you need to buy Catacombs, which also gives you access to some new classes and easy pve'ing!(gets you quicker in to rvr!!). Darkness Rising is more of a fluff expansion, not really worth buying until level 50 for some new items / abilities.

damn you whoodoo ;p

Laddey

FH is my second home
Whoodoo has got the idea and said it better than me, but basically yeah :)

Niroth350

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for the information! Do you have any sense for how long it takes to get someone up to "RvR Prepared" these days? I'm working on a Thesis and only get about 10 hours a week lately.. I see you play the old Animist, always thought that was the most amusing class I played in any MMO :)

Oh yeah, and if I do the Trial do I get the purty graphics? My old characters probably still exist but I would be so clueless trying to use them I'd just as roon rather start from scratch.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Just saw Nate's post about the graphics / client, thanks for that!

Laddey

FH is my second home
Niroth350 said:
Thanks for the information! Do you have any sense for how long it takes to get someone up to "RvR Prepared" these days? I'm working on a Thesis and only get about 10 hours a week lately.. I see you play the old Animist, always thought that was the most amusing class I played in any MMO :)

Oh yeah, and if I do the Trial do I get the purty graphics? My old characters probably still exist but I would be so clueless trying to use them I'd just as roon rather start from scratch.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Just saw Nate's post about the graphics / client, thanks for that!

You'll get the TOA Graphics but not Catas graphics. If you can afford / want i'd try and get another account for a buffbot. If your playing an animist it certainly helps alot.

Niroth350

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for all the great info guys! This faster PvEing in catacombs sounds pretty nice as well. Where does it come from, just the fact that the new zones happen to have better xp rewards?

I think I will start the trial and maybe a catacombs key but hold off on Darkness Rising for now. By the way, I'm actually from the states and seeing all the .goa.com makes me think i am commiting some sort of sacriledge posting here, is it Euro players only? :)

Any suggestions for a class that levels pretty quick without a buffbot but won't be a total disappointment in RvR? I played an Animist years back which was fun, but it would be fun to mix it up. Since Albion is always so popular I guess I'd prefer Hibernia or the Midgaard people.

Yeke

Fledgling Freddie
Niroth350 said:
Thanks for all the great info guys! This faster PvEing in catacombs sounds pretty nice as well. Where does it come from, just the fact that the new zones happen to have better xp rewards?

I think I will start the trial and maybe a catacombs key but hold off on Darkness Rising for now. By the way, I'm actually from the states and seeing all the .goa.com makes me think i am commiting some sort of sacriledge posting here, is it Euro players only? :)

Any suggestions for a class that levels pretty quick without a buffbot but won't be a total disappointment in RvR? I played an Animist years back which was fun, but it would be fun to mix it up. Since Albion is always so popular I guess I'd prefer Hibernia or the Midgaard people.

The faster xp with cata comes mainly from the introduction of task dungeons basically you see an NPC and get a mission from him then go to the dungeon (your own personal dungeon) complete that mission and return to the npc who rewards you with xp in addition to the xp you gained from killing the mobs, there are also many simple stand alone quests for xp gain only in the areas of catacombs.

I guess there arn't many US players here but I remember one guy from way back and I'm sure your not alone :)

As for levelling fast without a buffbot mid toon I'd say either a dark specced spirit master or a warlock (need cata for the warlock) warlock might not get you an RvR group though.

Alb necromancer levels fast but you wont get a group in RvR, other than that I've no idea as I've very little expirence playing alb :)

Niroth350

Fledgling Freddie
Will look into the spirit master then.. anyone on the Hib side?

Laddey

FH is my second home
Niroth350 said:
Will look into the spirit master then.. anyone on the Hib side?

A vamp for no downtime and no need for buffs. They're buffed anyway and can't be buffed anymore. They get some good stuff to play around with. End Drain, HoT, Heat Damage Claw, Haste Boost, Parry Boost, Fumble chance and so on. Really good char to play but people whine about them being overpowered.

Kinag

Part of the furniture
Laddey said:
A vamp for no downtime and no need for buffs. They're buffed anyway and can't be buffed anymore. They get some good stuff to play around with. End Drain, HoT, Heat Damage Claw, Haste Boost, Parry Boost, Fumble chance and so on. Really good char to play but people whine about them being overpowered.

Not alot of people whine about Vamps anymore though.

Void959

Fledgling Freddie
Well vamp is rarely grouped so I wouldnt recommend that if you're interested in groups.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Void959 said:
Well vamp is rarely grouped so I wouldnt recommend that if you're interested in groups.

Very true. 1 on 1 there isn't much that can beat a vamp if it's a good player and TOA'd etc :)

For a group though i'd roll a bard or a druid or warden, very crap to level solo and on the cluster there isn't many groups about but on Glast you might have abit more success, i havn't really played Glast so i don't know what the groups are like on there and what-not :)

Yeke

Fledgling Freddie
The long and the short of it really is the classes you would most probably like to play are a strugle too level without #1 a bot and #2 any equipment since your starting from scratch you will find it pretty slow.

Are you planning on playing on EU or just posting here for advice? if you plan on playing here and decide to play mid gimme a pm on here and I'll try and help you out some.

Kinag

Part of the furniture
Laddey said:
Very true. 1 on 1 there isn't much that can beat a vamp if it's a good player and TOA'd etc :)

For a group though i'd roll a bard or a druid or warden, very crap to level solo and on the cluster there isn't many groups about but on Glast you might have abit more success, i havn't really played Glast so i don't know what the groups are like on there and what-not :)

A friar with a bit of clue can with ease win versus a vamp. You have quite alot of spells or attacks to counter a vamp.

Let's see, in the start of the fight I used to Power leak them so they can't use many spells.

If they start getting pesky with a few harder hits you use Whirling Staff, which gives you time to heal up as well.

Got Static Tempest with basically the same effects but also gives you some free hits in.

Power Leak is basically the strongest ability versus a vamp in my opinion.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Ok. I said there isn't much that can beat a vamp 1 on 1. I never said there is absolutly nothing at all vamps totally rock everything 1 on 1...

Anyway, give me a shout if you playing mid - i might have some stuff on there for ya' :)

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Welcome to the game, we all love newcomers! :) If you have any friends interested, be sure to tell them too, the more the merrier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom