This
ltd_kh_202_f.jpg

and

peavey%20bandit%20112.jpg

But haven't played for monhts.

MaCaBr3

Banned
What I would have done if I started to learn guitar again:

1) learn basic and later on advanced music theory, it will help you advance and understand playing music allot of faster
2) don't stick to only metal or rock or heavey distortion music, it's fun but very boring at the end. Learn some guitar classics, accoustic pieces, learn your chors and play some sing a long songs
3)if you aren't ment to be a lead/solo guitaris then just stick to rytm. I truly believe that soloist have a natural tallent for it. I'm a pure rytm guitarist and envy soloist, because it's a talent I will never have.
4) buy good gear or save up for a good guitar at least. There is no such thing as beginner guitars, it's either you buy a good guitar or crap guitar. As for everything, but a decent guitar that you can afford, try to find a budget guitar in the well know brands like, Jackson, Ibanez, BC Rich etc.
I'd recommend Ibanez, aldough I don't actually own one, my next guitar will be an Ibanez.
5) don't buy stuff your favourite bands has cuz one: you probably can't afford it 2) you might be very dissapointed.

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
nice simple rig, thats a kh-2 right?

Your advice is pretty spot on also, although low end BC rich's should be avoided. Read guitar forums, theres always a strong agreement by knowledgable people of whats good value for money.

Always play your guitar, or a similar model... ie try a store version first if your ordering online. Even then the quality control on some companies varies, eg I took a large gamble ordering my SG std online (100 quid cheaper) as Gibson's quality control is sucking lately. Luckily I didnt get stung

Your very right about 'talent'. Id like to say ive a fairly competant lead guitarist however theres some stuff such as sweeping I feel no matter how much I practise atm, I just cant nail it at the speed I want.

However, this can also be as a result of poor technique... so going back doing simple speed exercises properly can often fix stuff like this.

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
stupid edit timer :

My top tips would be :

1. Metronome, I'm gonna laugh in the face of any guitarist who can't play in time... and its easily the most noticable flaw to non-guitarists.

2. Suck it up and keep practising, playing guitar isnt easy... especially if your gonna be playing some metal. Although stuff like metallica is arguably moderate due to kirk hardly being a virtuoso, if you wanna move onto bands such as megadeth... its gonna hurt.

3. Play with other people, especially those better than you. Playing with a drummer will also help you out a bundle. If this means paying for lessons, so be it. I dont regret taking lesson for a year one bit, and im currently trying to find the right teacher to allow me to progress at the moment

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
nice simple rig, thats a kh-2 right?

KH2 is ESP Branded not LTD
I think it is a KH202?

I thought the only LTD KH 2* sig with a black finish on the neck was the 602 but the 602 is a neck thru this is clearly a bolt on. So I was wrong, but being as it's LTD not ESP it is deffo not a KH2. In fact having just done a search it seems all the LTD KH Sigs have black finishes on the neck? Which i would have bet my life they didn't, till I just looked.

MaCaBr3

Banned
it's a KH-202. I just stopped playing guitar, lost interest in it. Sometimes I grab it, but I play for like 20 minutes and put it back.

Btw, the 202 is not worth buying, I should have saved up for the 602 wich has better wood and active pickups.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
it's a KH-202. I just stopped playing guitar, lost interest in it. Sometimes I grab it, but I play for like 20 minutes and put it back.

Btw, the 202 is not worth buying, I should have saved up for the 602 wich has better wood and active pickups.

You need to spend some money on some new gear to boost your enthusiasm, works for me every time. :)

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
Yeh, I meant the 202... thats pretty obvious with the big LTD and bolt on neck :p

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
Well the SG sticks out like a hard on in a nudist camp, no clue on the others, do your guitars get en equal share of love?

Well the amps give clues... middle one has a standby switch as well as on/off so it's obviously a tube/valve amp : dsl-401

top is fender 112 deluxe.. used to get cleans that a marshall cannot

bottom one is an avt-50.. used as a backup and also when I cant crank the dsl-401

Far left is a fender strat MIM

Middle as you said is a gibson SG std

right is a yamaha erg 121, has an awesome neck for a starter guitar... but the electronics are fucked up atm

acoustic is some 200 quid vintage thing, just went to the shop and bought the one I thought played/sounded the best

Newest jackson is a SL-4, made in Japan. It's no longer in production and I like to think its quite rare here in the uk. It has a seymour duncan JB (jeff beck) in the bridge and a jazz (i think) in the neck which is pretty awesome- especially as megadeth used the JB in alot of their best recordings. I might replace the licensed floyd rose with an original one, black instead of chrome... just to give it extra stability when wanking around on the tremelo arm

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Well the amps give clues... middle one has a standby switch as well as on/off so it's obviously a tube/valve amp : dsl-401

top is fender 112 deluxe.. used to get cleans that a marshall cannot

bottom one is an avt-50.. used as a backup and also when I cant crank the dsl-401

Far left is a fender strat MIM

Middle as you said is a gibson SG std

right is a yamaha erg 121, has an awesome neck for a starter guitar... but the electronics are fucked up atm

acoustic is some 200 quid vintage thing, just went to the shop and bought the one I thought played/sounded the best

Newest jackson is a SL-4, made in Japan. It's no longer in production and I like to think its quite rare here in the uk. It has a seymour duncan JB (jeff beck) in the bridge and a jazz (i think) in the neck which is pretty awesome- especially as megadeth used the JB in alot of their best recordings. I might replace the licensed floyd rose with an original one, black instead of chrome... just to give it extra stability when wanking around on the tremelo arm

That's a lot of kit to be humping arround with you, do you gig or?

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
No I dont have time atm, just trying to get as good as possible :)

fl3a

Can't get enough of FH
my ibanez sa120
my.php

my very old epiphone sq180
my.php

together with a roland cube 15x, cba to make a picture of that
yes, i dont have a lot of money to spend on guitar gear :(

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I had an electric guitar once.

Only it wasn't plugged in cos I didnt pay my bill

And it wasn't a guitar either

In fact it was a piano

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Quite jealous of the Mesa Dual-Rec myself. My mate used to have a Nomad a few years ago, but he traded it in for a JCM800 or some such.

I've not got an amp at the minute, but when I was gigging, I used to have one of these...

anniversary.jpg

http://www.marshallamps.com/heritage/anniversary/30_anniversary.asp

I didn't have the matching purple cabs, unfortunately...just a couple of bog-standard Marshall 4-speaker cabs. Always fancied a Dual-Rec though...

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
well i finally managed to buy the guitar today, have to say im loving it. ive been practicing smoke on the water for the past hour and the time just flew by. wouldnt mind a pointer or two though.

1. warming up - i used a powerball for 5 minutes or so on my fretting hand to get the blood going and loosen the tendons. is it normal for them to still hurt?

2. the frets - i notice sometimes i get a horrible vibrating sound when im picking the string. anyone know why?

3. plectrum - im unsure if im holding it correctly, sometimes the sound is loud and crisp, other times its like a whisper.

:)

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
Hot recto mojo, is that a kh esp sig also? I guess you must be gigging to use that mofo + a 4x12 as its hardly gonna overdrive at all @ bedroom volume

is that an mg also I see? :p

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
well i finally managed to buy the guitar today, have to say im loving it. ive been practicing smoke on the water for the past hour and the time just flew by. wouldnt mind a pointer or two though.

1. warming up - i used a powerball for 5 minutes or so on my fretting hand to get the blood going and loosen the tendons. is it normal for them to still hurt?

2. the frets - i notice sometimes i get a horrible vibrating sound when im picking the string. anyone know why?

3. plectrum - im unsure if im holding it correctly, sometimes the sound is loud and crisp, other times its like a whisper.

1. I dont use a powerball, although Ive heard it can be useful.

You need to warm up both your left and right hand... so I usually do the 'spider' riff and chromatic scales to warm up my left. Then try playing something which puts the pain on your right hand. eg. creeping death or master of puppets. It takes me about 2 hours before I feel im playing to my potential, so it kinda sucks having to devote that much time before you can be satisfied with your playing.

It's always best to start slow, then build up the bpm though, as its easy to strain yourself. However for a begginer, Im doubting whether you need to warm up to much, as by definition your 'peak' isn't going to be hard to achive, or very high. Try some simple stretches, and put your first and second finger on the first fret of the low E string (fattest) and press as hard as you can for 2 minutes. Then do the same with your 3rd and 4th fingers on the 2nd fret. Then do it together. In theory that should be enough, as at the moment you just wanna be concentrating on playing as much as you can... due to progress being easy initially.

2. You should fret as CLOSE to the fret as possible. E.g on the first fret, slide up to it as much as possible so that the string is getting cleanly 'cut off'. This is to prevent other frets along the neck touching the string and therefore making it buzz/vibrate when the strings hits them.

3. Pick should be held perpendicular to the strings, between thumb and first finger with as little of it showing as possible. Of course, this is a massive generalisation. E.g I use the 'little showing as possible' technique when playing lead and fast riffs, however when strumming (especially on acoustic) I prefer the sound when more of the pick is showing.

Basically, experiment around with it... and see what is best for you.

I could ramble on and on for about 99 pages but I think that'll just confuse you. Theres plenty of stuff/examples on the web if you get stuck

Practise.Practise.Practise. and you will rise above 99% of the guitar 'players'

edit: if stuff hurts ALOT, stop.

MaCaBr3

Banned
It's time for people starting posting videos and songs of their guitar play ffs :p

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Hot recto mojo, is that a kh esp sig also? I guess you must be gigging to use that mofo + a 4x12 as its hardly gonna overdrive at all @ bedroom volume

is that an mg also I see? :p

No, No gigs like you i don't have the time, my job comes first for me at my age. Overdrive is solved by the use of a THD Hotplate that i didn't include in the original pic. I do blast it at the practice rooms and when i jam at my mates but I still need the hot plate even then. Mesa's are just too much, but i got a bargain and didn't know any better when i got it. :p(Hot plates kick arse btw)

DSC00266%20(Medium).JPG

The Esp is a Signautre "ESP KH2 Ouija Skull & Bones" manufactured in 1995. (It is the only one I have ever seen, most have the newer Moon & Star Inlays Circa 1997-98)

The other guitars are 2xIbanez GAX70's One was my first electric, they don't make them anymore but I liked it so much I got brother to give me his. :D One is used for anything other than a standard tuning.

A Tanglewood Rebel 4 bass
The Acustic is a Fender and was my first guitar.

Yeah that's an MGDFX30 and a Behringer 30w UltraBass.

Having all Black Guitars wasn't deliberate btw.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie

What succi said pretty much, I will add my short thoughts tho.

1 Your only just starting, it's going to hurt regardless, strech your hand out and flex it a bit before you start, but the speed your going to be playing it pretty much is a warm up in itself.

2 Finger strength issues maybe, it will stop over time, you can press harder pick better but it's wasted engergy and you won't actually be able to play as long cos ur tired from the extra work, ignore the odd bad sound they will iron out over time. You can focus on making nice sounds but IMO once you have learnt the song and it's in memory you can then practice at getting better and nicer sounds when playing it.

3 Hold it with 2 or 3 fingers whatever is comfortable really, the pick should be at a right angle to your hand give or take a few degrees. look for some pics on the web for a rough idea, but do what's comfortable and loosly based on how others say it should be held.

Jarakin

One of Freddy's beloved
Giving some thought to buying a new guitar. I'm still learning, but i feel like i'm struggling with my current guitar.

I've been doing some exercises to build up my finger strength and speed, one in particular called "The Caterpillar", where you start at the top, where you play fret 5, then 6, 7 and 8, keeping your fingers all down, then move down a string and repeating, leaving your fingers down until its time to play it's fret. It sounds easy, but I think my guitar's neck is quite wide, my fingers are fairly short and it kills my hand! Find it a hell of alot easier on my fiancée's yamaha pacifica which has a narrower neck.

Anyway, I don't want to be playing her guitar all the time, so its made me think that perhaps its time to invest in something new. I've been looking around and saw this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190110516592&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:uk - Think thats a good deal? I can afford up to £300 and maybe ever so slightly over, but that guitar looks like a good deal for the price? Also, most importantly, think that it'll fit the bill of having a narrower neck and be generally good to play on as a beginner? Any other suggestions would be appreciated too!

I'm definately going to keep my current guitar as I love it even if it kills my hand, plus when i'm better, i'm sure i'll be able to make it squeal the way it should without quite so much suffering!

MaCaBr3

Banned
Mexican "fender stratocaster" are generally known as the worst piece of crap guitars.

And imo Fender Stratocasters are overrated guitars. They are notirous to detune because of the crappy bridge and they can generate allot of fretbuzz if not properly tuned.

MaCaBr3

Banned

Fretbuzz can occure when one of your strings constantely touching 2 frets at the same time. This can occur almost anywhere on the neck and can be fixed by either tighten the neckbolt a bit more or by highering the bridge a bit more. But don't recommend doing it yourself unless you know what ur doing.

Jarakin

One of Freddy's beloved
Mexican "fender stratocaster" are generally known as the worst piece of crap guitars.

And imo Fender Stratocasters are overrated guitars. They are notirous to detune because of the crappy bridge and they can generate allot of fretbuzz if not properly tuned.

Ah well, I read somewhere that the mexican ones were decent, obviously misinformed. Thats the problem when you're pretty new to it all, can be easily mislead!

Any suggestions for something in the £200-£350(max) bracket? Anything in that price range that I should look out for on ebay to try and grab a bargain? :)

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Ah well, I read somewhere that the mexican ones were decent, obviously misinformed. Thats the problem when you're pretty new to it all, can be easily mislead!

Any suggestions for something in the £200-£350(max) bracket? Anything in that price range that I should look out for on ebay to try and grab a bargain? :)

Ibanez are known for their thin fast necks, I have two GAX70's (fixed bridge) and they are cheap (£150 ish new I think) but sweet. If you can get to your local guitar shop and try some out do so. Also I beleive the Squire Strats are £160 new? (this could be worng) So maybe go have a look in store and maybe play with one.

If I had 300 I would get a GAX70 AND a Squire Strat off ebay and pocket the change :)

Regarding thin necks, it might be cos I started with one but i just can't stand fat neck guitars they are just horrible things IMO Thin necks all the way for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom