Starting Electric Guitair

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
Svartmetall said:
True, but he switches to alternate when it's needed due to the speed of the song. If you just practice downstrokes you end up tensing up again when you come up against fast stuff.

no , mop's rhythm is played 100% downstrokes ... hetfields right hand is insanely fast

Not quite sure what you mean here, are you talking about how you hold the pick? Yes, thumb and forefinger is how I hold it; I was talking about the actual picking motion itself though.

i pick by moving my thumb , not wrist mainly

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Succi said:
no , mop's rhythm is played 100% downstrokes ... hetfields right hand is insanely fast
I was talking about the really fast stuff like 'Battery', 'Fight Fire With Fire' etc though...'Master...' is do-able with all downstrokes (though I use alternate myself).

Yshynsin

Fledgling Freddie
My friends are willing to help me learn i think, and am learning to read all the tabs etc.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Real men play bass! :D

Should give it a try once you're more experienced with guitar mind, helps understand a lot of the basics.

I started off playing guitar when I was 16 with a tutor that used to come into school, since music lessons were completely out of my league back then, for some reason I understood guitar a lot better. So been playing for 4 years now I guess.

After about 3 I went and saw Red Hot Chillies play, saw Flea do a bass solo and was completely gob smacked beyond belief, first thought was "I wanna do that!" so I started nicking my younger brothers bass and here I am, happily slapping away on my bass.

Getting a tutor is the most valuable thing you will ever need, I'd say the most you should pay for a 1hr lesson is £20 (Unless the feedback is genuinely fantastic), I pay £15/hour for a 1 on 1 and in the tutors studio, Steve Hoggart is the blokes name, brilliant tutor for bass and guitar.

I go to him for my bass lessons and suddenly all that crap I was having fired at me in music in school suddenly made sense. :p

Playing guitar is an excellent time waster for when you've nothing else to do and is good for a hobby, as provided you play enough you can take that hobby somewhere. ;)

Currently attempting to play the guitar riff on my bass with slap (Can't do the solo yet, not that good yet but it IS possible. :p).

pikeh

Resident Freddy
bass is the easy way out!

<hides>

muwaha :fluffle:

Seriously though, agree with what Succi said about the Yamaha starter Packs, dont be fooled by the "fender" name on the headstock on Squires.

Himse

FH is my second home
pikeh said:
bass is the easy way out!

<hides>

muwaha :fluffle:

Seriously though, agree with what Succi said about the Yamaha starter Packs, dont be fooled by the "fender" name on the headstock on Squires.

Agree'd on both points, although i do enjoy playing my mates bass from time to time :p

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
http://www.piedog.com/musical_instr..._guitars/electric_guitars/ibanez-sa120_bk.htm
tbh somethin like that would be nice...maybe a lil over budget but still for the money ibanez are rather damn fuckin nice an will whip the shit out of any squeeky squire BS
svart knows his shit by th elooks of it but before u buy a guitar might be an idea to ask people that have a bit of experience playin an know a bit about gear an ask what they think an then try guitars out to see if you find them confortable or not...comfort comes before looks...thats why i HATE BC rich guitars :p

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Cemeterygates said:
http://www.piedog.com/musical_instr..._guitars/electric_guitars/ibanez-sa120_bk.htm
tbh somethin like that would be nice...maybe a lil over budget but still for the money ibanez are rather damn fuckin nice an will whip the shit out of any squeeky squire BS
svart knows his shit by th elooks of it but before u buy a guitar might be an idea to ask people that have a bit of experience playin an know a bit about gear an ask what they think an then try guitars out to see if you find them confortable or not...comfort comes before looks...thats why i HATE BC rich guitars :p

well thats a nice guitar and all, but when you start out you wanna be able to get all the shit that goes with it. a squeally amp, plecs, straps, tuner etc.

http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/acatalog/Yamaha_Starter_Packs.html

imo £185 for just a guitar is a tad much when your starting.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
old.Tohtori said:
Well if you like metallica, start with something like seek&destroy. It's "rather" "simple" to do.

Also a classic way to start rock&metal is to play...yes...paranoid :D

Or the opening riff to Enter Sandman

I've played the piano for 26 years now. It takes a long time to get good. When I first started I dreamed about being able to play the stuff I liked, but I wasn't until years later that I was good enough to do so.

Same with learning guitar or any instrument. Start with the absolute basics, and work up gently to the hard technical stuff.

Learn to walk before you run.

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
pikeh said:
well thats a nice guitar and all, but when you start out you wanna be able to get all the shit that goes with it. a squeally amp, plecs, straps, tuner etc.

http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/acatalog/Yamaha_Starter_Packs.html

imo £185 for just a guitar is a tad much when your starting.
ye i guess your right but still...squires suck monkey balls imo however im sure some of the real low end ibanez stuff would be better...maybe even jackson?? not too sure about starter packs an stuff....i used to play my bro's guitar for about 1.5 years then got my own....a peavey v-type...then whacked an EMG 81-60 set in it an i fucking love it :D
http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM02/Content/Peavey/PR/V-Type-EXP.html
mine is black tho :) an i know peavey get slated to death but this is actualy a rather nice bit of kit

Yshynsin

Fledgling Freddie
Im leaning towards a Yamaha Pacifica set atm as apparently the Squires ain't up to much, or going for a ibanez, my absolute maximum budget is 180 really, and im not sure i can get the money yet either.

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
Yshynsin said:
Im leaning towards a Yamaha Pacifica set atm as apparently the Squires ain't up to much, or going for a ibanez, my absolute maximum budget is 180 really, and im not sure i can get the money yet either.
well i'd just say look around tbh man...an before u buy a guitar its best to atleast have a go on one...altho with u just about to learn i guess u dont really know what to look for. i would say is it comfortable to sit down with....is it comfortable to stand with....2 factors that are important with a guitar really in regard to practicallity.....when it comes to recordin the only thing that matters is findin the desired sound...but sound isnt really an issue for u atm but if u get into it i might suggest getting an effects pedal later down the line cos you seem to wanna play some tallica.....a boss metal zone pedal could help achieving that sorta sound with a lil practice amp an rog guitar :) i have one i dont use anymore...think they still go for about £60 brand new but if u get into it an watn one i could sell you mine on the cheap...like £15-£20 or somethin...perfect workin order...altho i think one of the dials is slightly bent...but still does what its meant to

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Yshynsin said:
Pacificas are very good guitars for the money; I'd say instead of spending (say) £180 on a cheapo guitar and a cheapo amp, spend it all on the guitar, so you get a better-feeling, better-playing instrument (nothing can put you off playing faster than a shitty guitar that's hard to play and keeps going out of tune); then by the time you can afford an amp, what you're playing is worth amplifying :D

Go for the Pacifica with the bridge humbucker (double-coil) pickup, as the combination of that with the two single-coils will give you a broader range of tones overall.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Svartmetall said:
Pacificas are very good guitars for the money; I'd say instead of spending (say) £180 on a cheapo guitar and a cheapo amp, spend it all on the guitar, so you get a better-feeling, better-playing instrument (nothing can put you off playing faster than a shitty guitar that's hard to play and keeps going out of tune); then by the time you can afford an amp, what you're playing is worth amplifying :D

i would tend to agree with your so far excellent posts on this thread but i cant say i do on this one!

for £180 you should be able to get a very playable starter guitar, so instead of playing without any amp at all, get a crappy one, then at least you can start to experiment with the different sounds you can get out of the guitar.
I would normally say just spend it all on the guitar, but then again ive always had an amp around so thats what i would do :(
If you progress well with unplugged electric, when you get an amp, you would want something better than a practice amp, which can cost up from £200 id say.

MaCaBr3

Banned
This thread can go on and on, everyone already gave their share of advice which are all good pointers in how to start playing guitar.

I have like 10 years of "experience" with electric guitar. Meaning that I started playing off and on but I never played daily and I guess I did well since I'm self-thought.

BUT I have a huge disadvantage because I never learned basic guitar theory like minor or mayor scales and I did nothing then play Metallica or metal or whatever, resulting in the fact that I can't play anything else. I do try some blue or jazzy riffs or classical/accoustic songs, but I switch to Metallica again after a brief moment.

I also never played in a band which imo is a good way to learn how to play together in timescale and how to improvise.

There are so many things I can write, about how I learned it the BAD way, but you got enough of advice how to learn to play to good way.

I'll post some videos of me playing Metallica later.

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
MaCaBr3 said:
This thread can go on and on, everyone already gave their share of advice which are all good pointers in how to start playing guitar.

I have like 10 years of "experience" with electric guitar. Meaning that I started playing off and on but I never played daily and I guess I did well since I'm self-thought.

BUT I have a huge disadvantage because I never learned basic guitar theory like minor or mayor scales and I did nothing then play Metallica or metal or whatever, resulting in the fact that I can't play anything else. I do try some blue or jazzy riffs or classical/accoustic songs, but I switch to Metallica again after a brief moment.

I also never played in a band which imo is a good way to learn how to play together in timescale and how to improvise.

There are so many things I can write, about how I learned it the BAD way, but you got enough of advice how to learn to play to good way.

I'll post some videos of me playing Metallica later.
i'll be expecting a herman li impression mr!! :touch: :)

MaCaBr3

Banned
Cemeterygates said:
i'll be expecting a herman li impression mr!! :touch: :)

1)I suck
2)I suck
3)I've cut my hair, so that will make a very bad impression of Herman
4)I can't solo

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Here's my first album...please buy it :D

m87_logo.gif

To hear a track, go here and click on "more Info", then click on track 5, "OQ172"...it's weird, spacy Dark Ambient stuff...

Yshynsin

Fledgling Freddie
1st Vid of MaCaBr3's is Blackened, from the And Justice for All... Album

2nd is Master of Puppet from the Master of Puppets Album :p

Can't think of the 3rd one, nice gutiar tho mate, is that the kirk hammet signature esp?

I recommend getting all of the Metallica albums as they are very good listening, and Svart cool music, would be good for use in a movie scene aswell hehe, AVP anyone?

MaCaBr3

Banned
Yshynsin said:
1st Vid of MaCaBr3's is Blackened, from the And Justice for All... Album

2nd is Master of Puppet from the Master of Puppets Album :p

Can't think of the 3rd one, nice gutiar tho mate, is that the kirk hammet signature esp?

I recommend getting all of the Metallica albums as they are very good listening, and Svart cool music, would be good for use in a movie scene aswell hehe, AVP anyone?

It's the LTD KH-202 and tbh it's too expensive for what it is, I just bought it because it looks cool and has skulls in the neck :p

I should have saved some more for the LTD KH-606 but was abit too expensive :)

Yshynsin

Fledgling Freddie
hehe ah right, it looks like Kirk Hammets Signature ESP, that has the skull frets (if thats what they are -learning- ) :p

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
Svartmetall said:
Here's my main guitar:

7stringguit.jpg
looks like a customized GEM....the steve vai guitar with the monkey grip :p....guessin its from a custom guitar company?

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Cemeterygates said:
looks like a customized GEM....the steve vai guitar with the monkey grip :p....guessin its from a custom guitar company?
Aye, Haydn Williams guitars in Cumbria. Fucking awesome guitars that man makes, got 5 from him and they all rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom