starting at EU servers

spajdr

Fledgling Freddie
Hello guys, im new to DAoC, what server have most players? probably some classic type, thanks :)

Everz

FH is my second home
spajdr said:
Hello guys, im new to DAoC, what server have most players? probably some classic type, thanks :)
if you want classic, go to US m8 :/

spajdr

Fledgling Freddie
Eversmallx said:
if you want classic, go to US m8 :/

Maybe later, cause i subscribed for EU :) what are biggest population servers on EU? i dont need much, could be small but friendly community :)

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
spajdr said:

There are two classic servers in the Euro farm.

Sailsbury : German speaking
Glastonbury : English speaking

The friday news last week hinted that the English speaking one would be absorbed by the German one soon, in this case it wouldnt matter which one you start on (although Sailsbury has around 1,000 players currently online - so would be the better place to start if you can read/speak german)

spajdr

Fledgling Freddie
Only english or czech or polish, but i guess germans can speak english too hehe :p that absorb would be cool, hope that game will not die soon.

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
If you want to play in English and don't care if it's not a classic server, the English cluster is Excalibur/Prydwen. If you just want to roll on the biggest Euro server and don't care about language or ruleset, then you want Avalon which is in German (normal rules).

Rub

One of Freddy's beloved
why u want to go to classic server? u miss a big part of the game then tbh m8

spajdr

Fledgling Freddie
Im not sure what im missing, but i prefer doing just quests and PvE fights with people, PVP and siege is last on my wish list :)

Twoeye

Can't get enough of FH
u can do alot of PVE on cluster m8...imo classic is way to dead atm.....but thats my opinion :flame:

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
spajdr said:
Im not sure what im missing, but i prefer doing just quests and PvE fights with people, PVP and siege is last on my wish list :)

Then go for a normal server - "Classic" servers lack one of the expansions which was mainly PvE quests, fights and encounters.

So, if you want english language - go to either Prydwen or Excalibur

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
spajdr said:

Then you do not want to go to classic as there is less PvE to do there and it's going to be in German soon.

Cluster sounds like your best option.

spajdr

Fledgling Freddie
Ok guys, thanks for help.
Are there alot of quests to do? :p

M

Melikor

If you're new to the game you probably want to go toa servers, roll on excaliber or prydwen.

If you find you can't tolerate buffbots, getting master levels, or facing overpowered toa abilities in rvr, you probably want classic.

There's a slim chance of a glastonbury (english classic) server revival (it's currently fairly dead excluding small pockets of rvr). However your unlikely to find any grps to level with atm on this server.

Salis has plenty of grps you can level with, its very populous. However its totally german speaking.

US servers are another option.

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
best roll Excal and try one of the more populated realms like Midgard or Albion. Lots ot enjoy PvE wise and the great thing is you can do it on two different locations now with the recent patch.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
spajdr said:

Join pry/excal cluster. Theres really no point going to classic as there are less than a handfull of people there and the main difference is youll miss out on TOA which is a the real endgame for PVE addicts. Classic just misses out the hardcore PVE zones and is designed for those that just want to play RVR without having to equip their characters.

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
ill give you my honest opinion...

your new to DAoC, and so you will be starting from scratch, so...

currently EU English servers seem to be loosing players rapidly... and at this rate it doesn't look like its going to last more that a year
there are other EU servers around though... like Avalon(high player database currently) though unless you know fluent German you will find it impossible to understand most people, and the Tutorials/Help files are in German for that server... i would not recommend that...

so really in the long term i would recommend that you roll/buy a US subscription... even though as a EU English server player it pains me to say this.

now, about the server types, there are currently 3 different types of servers;
PVP - this removes the aspect of RvR completely and can earn RPS(the system used by daoc for player vs. player combat, like experience points) - this is essentially the same as the Regular servers, but with the same realm RP levelling system
Classic - this is without the benefits of ToA(Trials of Atlantis), witch is a HUGE part of the game... though as a noobie has many benefits to you, i will explain later
Regular - this is the FULL game and excellent, easily the best of the 3(and imo the best MMORPG available)

classic server pros and cons;
BuffBots - these are essentially a necessary part of the game(in regular servers) with the classic server the these cannot exist effectively... this is a kind of cheating mechanism, by increasing your stats... however be warned you need 2 accounts and that means paying £16(or less if you pay US servers) a month for a game, and generally a high-end(duel core) spec machine or 2 good pc's
ToA - this has revolutionised the game of DAoC as we now know it, including Master Levels(these are ability's that are common for same race class's, giving you a huge advantage in RvR and other place's), and particularly nice items/artefacts that cost allot of in game currency to obtain/maintain, you will spend allot of time in these zones... so get to know them well
Artefacts - these are special items and go in most of the slots available slots, they also have special ability's giving you the edge required in player vs. player combat

i would suggest you try Classic for a month or 2, then move onto the more complicated Regular servers(imo the PVP servers are boring, but ill leave you to make up your own mind)

once you picked the server type, you then have 3 choice's for realms, Albion, Midgard, Hibernia - personally i would go for Albion, but i have bias views
so do a little research to pick your realm before levelling numerous characters

now, prepare for allot of stuff you wont understand till you actually start playing, so don't let this deter you
im not sure how much you know about MMORPGS so ill start from the begging
this game is rather old, as a result people have honed into perfect specification, and without a good one you will find this game very hard to get into, so do some research into the game to pick class/specs

ok so now im assuming you have 1 Level 50(depending if your on a regular server, you will also have a level 50 buffbot)
but that is a TINY proportion of the game
you now have Master levels to obtian, Champion levels to gain, and template's to sort out - and maybe a crafter to level(for a little cash on the side)
i wont go into great detail, you will find out about that on your own - and it would take years to type out - but these are essential to the game if you intend on being any good, once again to research into this... it will be much better articulated than i could ever do

though, 1 tip i would give you, focus on levelling a char specifically for Farming(self explanatory) first, along with a Buffbot, to obtain a decent set of gear for your FarmBot, BuffBot... and eventually your Main RvR Toon...

if you have any questions for me, feel free to PM me

GL to you, you will need it;)

Dr_Evil

Fledgling Freddie
Imo Albion has too many people already, and they're always arguing with eachother. Better to go Midgard or Hibernia (on Excal/Pryd). If you find yourself a nice guild that can help you out, you're gonna have a lot of fun. In my guild (Aquamarine/Midgard) there's new players leveling with eachother every day, and I'm sure it's not the only guild.

spajdr

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks guys for help (psyco you could write a book about DAoC lol!)
So i started for now on Excalibur (Midgard)
I didnt want to compare it with other game, but its looking nice, controls are ok, but what i didnt understand why some purple monsters when i click on it, say they are aggressive to me and when i get close to them, they didnt attack, BUT running into some woods more deeper, seeing purple kinda like worm and wolf, they suddenly attacked me, so aggro radius is various on monsters or its just random that they will attack you, but its more like to attack you if they got much higher levels?
Also got little problem to read some texts, its tiny on 1920x1200 :p and i didnt find a way to make it bigger (on NPCs and Monsters its ok)
I want to give EU server a chance, dont wanna make it die, at least not me :) running onto US servers is a option, but im EU patriot :D for now lol

EDIT.: besides previously i played World of Warcraft, Everquest II, Horizons (loved that more then anything else, so if anyone here played Horizons, nice to catch ye here!), Earth and Beyond (anyone remember it?), a little Star Wars Galaxies and Anarchy Online.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
spajdr said:
I didnt want to compare it with other game, but its looking nice, controls are ok, but what i didnt understand why some purple monsters when i click on it, say they are aggressive to me and when i get close to them, they didnt attack, BUT running into some woods more deeper, seeing purple kinda like worm and wolf, they suddenly attacked me, so aggro radius is various on monsters or its just random that they will attack you,

Im sure someone else will know for certain, but as I understood it there were two variables for a mobs agro

% chance to agro
agro radius

so a mob could have a high chance to agro but in a low radius

Ogrelin Blodig

One of Freddy's beloved
spajdr said:
I didnt want to compare it with other game, but its looking nice, controls are ok, but what i didnt understand why some purple monsters when i click on it, say they are aggressive to me and when i get close to them, they didnt attack, BUT running into some woods more deeper, seeing purple kinda like worm and wolf, they suddenly attacked me, so aggro radius is various on monsters or its just random that they will attack you, but its more like to attack you if they got much higher levels?
Also got little problem to read some texts, its tiny on 1920x1200 :p and i didnt find a way to make it bigger (on NPCs and Monsters its ok)
I want to give EU server a chance, dont wanna make it die, at least not me :) running onto US servers is a option, but im EU patriot :D for now lol

EDIT.: besides previously i played World of Warcraft, Everquest II, Horizons (loved that more then anything else, so if anyone here played Horizons, nice to catch ye here!), Earth and Beyond (anyone remember it?), a little Star Wars Galaxies and Anarchy Online.

Welcome to Midgard then :) Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Malcolm

Can't get enough of FH
The best server for PvE imho is Co-op - unfortunately GOA chose not to implement this server type - whereas with a US account there's Gaheris.

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
spajdr said:

Aggro radius is variable on different mobs, but your level has no influence on the aggro range. Mob level comparable yours is grey (no contest)-green-blue-yellow (about equal) -orange-red-purple (You're dead). Mobs are either Friendly, Neutral, Hostile or Agressive. Only Agressive mobs will have a chance of attacking you - sometimes they do, sometimes they don't right away.. Hang around long enough and they will start chewing on you. Hostile just gives you a foul look but won't attack.

You can set the size of text from small to large in the options. There's tricks to make it even larger, but those involve manually modifying the XML files of your UI skin.

Welcome to the European English server, then. I play in Midgard/Prydwen. It's always good to see fresh blood. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom