Starting a Berserker! HELP.

radiovulture

Fledgling Freddie
Ok look, i've never played this game before. I'm making a berserker, on Morgan Le Fey. Now, im trying to find a good template for pve mostly. I started a Troll with 115 str, 70 con, 40 dex, 40 quick. From what i've read, 50/leftaxe, 48/axe, 32/parry seems like the most logical. Simply because it will reduce the amount of lost points after my character is maxed out. Please respond, im a newb.

radiovulture

Fledgling Freddie
I asked for advice making a berserker, not redirection. thanks.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Can still give him a few pointers no? :)

I would go 50 axe, 50 left axe, 28 parry, since parry wont be of that much use in rvr/pvp later on, if you plan to run in groups at least. For exping i would keep axe and leftaxe at level -1 and put rest of the points into parry until 28 parry, then just keep raising axe/leftaxe until 50.

Gamah

Banned
Well you know Euro servers run a few patches behind US servers right? so specs might be different for a class depending on the lastest changes to the game.

Anyway my zerker was specd 50 LA 50 Hammer rest parry. Hammer styles have a great behind snare style which is great to snare your target thats fleeing then give him some love.

radiovulture

Fledgling Freddie
ah, sorry, one more question. What would be Midgards most Offensive hand to hand character?

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Mmm yes, hammer is probably the superior choise.

radiovulture

Fledgling Freddie
well fuck, whats a decent pve savage template? I was looking mainly at zerkers

Gamah

Banned
radiovulture said:
well fuck, whats a decent pve savage template? I was looking mainly at zerkers

Can't help you on that know nothing about savages, im sure someone will though :|

Bahumat

FH is my second home
If your trying to make a savage template, you wont need any dex so that will make a template so much easier to make.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Gamah said:
Probably a savage.

This might look true on first look but unfortunately it is bad advice :( you are much better off with a zerker. Savage suffers from not having access to the two most important things for an offensive tank in modern RvR: banelord and charge. Also not having access to stoicsm will put you out of the fight alot longer.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
p.s. If you want a tank for Pve only then you are much better off with a thane or valkyrie due to the fact that last patch they both got access to an ability that when used makes them count as multiple attackers. When you get more familiar with the game you will realise how important this is, epsecially when fighting the epic monsters in ml raids. But note if you ever want to RvR do not go one of these :) Warrior or zerker are the only two classes to consider for rvr currently.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Ballard said:
This might look true on first look but unfortunately it is bad advice :( you are much better off with a zerker. Savage suffers from not having access to the two most important things for an offensive tank in modern RvR: banelord and charge. Also not having access to stoicsm will put you out of the fight alot longer.

im 99% sure savages get stoicism (natural 25% determination) they dont get banelord or charge like you said though.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Bahumat said:
im 99% sure savages get stoicism (natural 25% determination) they dont get banelord or charge like you said though.

Ye my mistake. unlike the otehr two realms only getting two stoicsm tanks mid gets 3 :p unfortunately due to alot of people straffing and then sprinting off you still really need charge to catch them sometimes even after CC wears off.

Rieveth

Fledgling Freddie
Bahumat said:
If your trying to make a savage template, you wont need any dex so that will make a template so much easier to make.

If its a H2H savage then you will need dex as H2H is 50/50 str/dex

crispy

Can't get enough of FH
I'd suggest you make a thane.

Later in the game you will need to farm some decent gear, and for that you'd need a good pve character.

Thanes get some ability to bash very high lvl mobs. You can always pl a zerker later :)

No good gear = no fun

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Zerk: any race works well except Valkyn - low Str and low con makes for a sucky tank, by and large. Troll for massive Str, frontload and intimidation factor, Norse for all-round-ness, Dwarf for small-target-ness and mini-bear mode.

Whichever race you choose, go +10 Str/Con/Qui. If you're hell-bent on being a Valkyn, +15 Str/+10 Con. But you were warned :p

Spec 50 LA/50 Mainhand/28 Parry; go with whichever mainhand weapon you like the look of the most, because they can all work well once you know how to use the strengths of the line. Some people say go 50 Mainhand/50 Parry/28 LA if you want to be a 2H Zerk, but going 2H all the way loses a lot of DPS over time and there's not much perceptible difference between 50 Parry and 28 Parry + MOParry 2; generally it's better to just whip out yer 2H when Frenzied for huge burst damage - my RR3 Zerk, Panzerfaust, has hit for over 1,000 damage when Frenzied several times using the 5.6 speed Wurm-Shadow Great Axe. Great for finishing off squishies.

Many people whinge about the lack of a side style in the Left Axe line, but it's not actually that much of an issue IMO because each of the mainhand lines has a good side style (or a chain in the case of Sword) that can make up the gap...there are better things to whinge about in LA, like the 60% base damage penalty of Left Axe, or the high miss rates (Left Axe always swings, but by no means do all those swings hit, or the fact that the Catacombs Frenzy model is embarrassingly awful - most Zerks think the Vendo was much better. There should be an option to choose between the Vendo and the Catacombs Frenzy model just like there is with normal race models...having said that, mini-bear mode is funny as hell on a Dwarf Zerk.

Malice offhand combined with Champion weapon in mainhand makes a very nice combination, with something slow and frontload-y as a 2H. Good two-handers include Dragonfury for Sword users, Dragonstorm (5.8 speed :worthy: ) for Hammer users, Wurm-Shadow Great Axe for Axe users. Alternatively, all the Champ 2H weapons for Zerks are 5.7 speed, so you could use a different mainhand if you wanted to. The only downside to Malice offhand/Champ mainhand is that you lose the artifical-haste effect of Left Axe; you're going to want an offhand of <3 sec speed, though, to make it worthwhile going for that...the Basalt Handaxe from the High Lords in DF is pretty good, 2.9 speed and dual procs (LT + DD) for the win. But with Celerity the Malice/Champ combo hits very hard indeed (assuming you do hit)...

Make sure you dye the Champ weapon black or that very dark blood-red (is it called Flame, that colour?), though, because it looks like a cowpat-coloured pineapple otherwise - plus the subtle glowing flame effect on the weapon is much more noticeable when it's dyed a dark colour, it actually looks pretty good then. There's not much in the game looks more bowel-looseningly scary than a bloody great Troll with Malice and a fiery Champ weapon, dyed blood-red or black, charging straight at you...

Eithor

Fledgling Freddie
Thane, good for pve and rvr alike.

1.82 up and running at the us servers (and within 1-2 moths here as well).
With that version a thane is a very viable class.

Here i give some points/info what a thane can do:

- Nuke close to casting speed(1 nuke each 1.2 sec with 330 dex and the 2.4 48sc nuke).
- Nuke close to bolt range (1700 +10% toa range bonus= 1870), meaning you will be able to start nuke on MOST inc casters before they is able to nuke you .
- AE-nuke at 1700+ range at decent casting speed (330dex and 3.0 casting speed), 400 radius on ae.
- "Frontload" with casting(rr5 prefered), 1600+ range (nuke, insta, rr5(CL)= worst case scenario dmg= 450(without crits and without resists), possible case scenario dmg= 700(without crits and resists, possible go over 1000 dmg if decent crit).

- Close up "Thane dump/bomb", for about 1300-2300 within 2-3 seconds.
- Within 1000 range "Thane dump/bomb", 900-1400.

- Able to debuff energy resists on enemies (thane spells and thane dd procs is energy) in 2 separate ways.
- If 50hammer specced able to dish out enormous dmg vs one attacking enemy (due to dd procs that hit for 400-600 dmg (meaning it's possible to do 1000-1500(if critting) dmg something in one swing.
- At least 4 different selfbuffs (really helps out when exping/farming and dont have a healer/shammy/bb with you)
- Decent defence, able to stun enemies for 9 seconds with shield-slam.
- Yet more nice things, but this should be enough for now ;)

The real drawbacks is:
- The pretty low hitpoints.
- Close to impossible to get a real good template going(so many things to fill, same things as tanks= warriors, zerks, savages, etc AND same things as pure casters).
- Not possible to spam one button and be sure of insta win (no real drawback for me anyway, would i've liked a insta pwn class i'd never rolled a thane. But now with this new patch, the thane got real potential, still not easy mode though).

The 30 starting points: 10str, 10dex, 10piety is the way to go, no matter race, for a thane(my opinion and i have very good reason to back it up with ;] ).

Eithor

Fledgling Freddie
Nukes seldom miss (hehe) and not often resisted.

Seriously though, not that bad miss-rate(34+18sword did work decent for me, i suppose 50+12(or whatever)hammer won't have a harder time to hit.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
My Thane, Nocturno Culto, is 3L3 and rising, and he's a blast to play in RvR as well as PvE. The upcoming changes to Thanes are 100% in line with how I've always specced and played him - 50 Hammer/50 Stormcalling/27 Parry/10 Shield, a full-on two-handed paladin of Thor. And COTS is really nice in PvE...

aika

Can't get enough of FH
hm.. sorry for offtopic post, Svartmetall you seem to have Darkthrone related names of you characters :)

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
Tilda said:
Play on the EU servers tbh, less retards :p

You are a true rolemodel for this forum. You show how absolute wonderful the moderators on this forum are.

Ban yourself for pointless spamming tbfh.

People already giving you some tips here. got nothing to add
I think its a + for FH that the Americans asks for advice here rather than their own boards :)

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Savage: two kinds, H2H and 2H.

H2H: most races can work well, Dwarf is generally held to be the least effective though with RRs it can work. Various ways to spend the points, though +10 Str/Con/Dex is usually the best way to go - if Troll, you might want to go +10 Con/Dex/Qui since Evade is your primary defence as a Savage. Troll for WS and damn those style animations look cool when you're that big, Norse for all-round-ness, Kobbie for insane evade rate and small target-ness. Remember Kobbies will still have very good WS, since H2H WS is based on (Str+Dex)/2, unlike 2H weapons which are pure Str.

Spec - it's pretty much a one-spec class when you go H2H, 44 H2H/49 Savagery/4 Parry. Tests done by the Savage TL a long time ago showed the 44/49 spec out-damages the 50/39 spec by about 15%, the 39% self combat haste and 25% self DPS boost are too good to miss. I can confirm this myself, since my H2H Sav Collateral Damage was 50/39/18 for ages (rolled him the day SI came out); I used the NF free respec to go 44/49 and my only regret was not doing it sooner.

Weapon-wise, you will swing so fast that you want the slowest weapons you can get your hands on. Many, many Savages just go for a pair of Salamander Tails (dropped from Anathemic Salamander in Typhon's Reach, so a bit of a pig to get 'cos Sally doesn't just obligingly drop it every time she's killed), 4.4 speed is as slow as you can get - in fact it's the slowest 1H weapon in Midgard, full stop. Champ offhand/Sally mainhand works, too. A pair of Traitor's Greaves makes a very nice PvE set. Be warned that whatever you go for, it's going to wear out fast.

-----

2H: You're pretty much looking at Troll, unless you have a compelling reason to be another race. You're playing a class using a pure Str-based weapon that only has Str as the tertiary rising stat, so you want as much of the stuff as you can get. Go +10 Str/Con/Qui.

Spec: again, 44/49 is inarguably higher damage than 50/39; only go 50/39 if you are Sword spec and simply cannot live without Ragnarok, but be aware you're missing out on some damn nice DPS by doing so (Ragnarok is the most over-rated style in Midgard IMO). Savage WS is dismally low, so get used to wiffing - you'll be doing a lot of it as you level up...H2H Savages wiff a lot too, but they don't have as long between swings as a 2H one does and so you're going to notice it a lot more. But fear not, by 50 and a bit of RR it gets better; Jagdpanzer, my 2H Savage, is only RR2 something and he hits like a psychotic rhino with 'roid rage. Damage is very streaky due to the ultra-low WS (Savages are on the Bard WS table, believe it or not), but when you do manage to hit, you can just annihilate stuff.

Weapons-wise, again you just want the slowest things you can get your hands on. Dragonfury and Dragonstorm are great, Malice rocks of course, the Champ weapons are only 5.5 speed sadly but still nice. You can't use the new Wurm-Shadow weapons from TG, but you can use the pre-Savage-nerf (1.65) Dragon-Shadow TG weapons which are the same speed and stats. Go figure.

Quick word about RAs - get MOPain 3 as soon as you can. You miss a lot, so make damn sure that when you hit, you hit as hard as humanly - or trollishly - possible. And be aware that Savage self haste stacks with Celerity, but not with the perma healer combat haste - this over-writes your self haste. Healers tend to give groups that buff as a matter of course, so make sure you cancel that one or you're going to be mid-fight wondering why the hell you're swinging so slowly. You won't believe how fast you can swing that 2H Malice with Celerity and your own self haste...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom