"Start a thread about what you're getting next so we can talk cars some more"

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
No idea at the moment, still need to put my current one right altho if it's gonna cost too much I'll get the insurance company to write it off so I can have a new one, maybe a Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo which are getting nice and cheap now and still look the biz imo and will crack 60 in 6 seconds and go onto to over 150mph. Woah that was the longest sentence ever.

I'd rather fix the Golf tho, I was still thoroughly enjoying it before it had an argument with a hedge. The jury's still out on who won.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Buy my Chim Bodhi. You know you want it.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Weve just sold our TT, Mrs Will drove it down to Devon last week while I towed the shed, and we sold it privately down there (good price too ;)) but Im stuck on what to get as a replacement.

It was only used as a weekend car, but was a tad bland tbh, Id like something a little rougher round the edges, less technicaL if you like. Ive considered an older 911, but theyre really, really expensive to service etc. A TVR would be nice, but I want it to work when I want it ;)

Any suggestions would be appreciated, something fairly rough and ready, with plenty of grunt. (No Evo's or STi's or GTR's though)

edit// Another thing weve considered is the Lombard Revival Rally. which is basically a rally for road cars on closed roads and circuits. I saw a thing about it on Motors TV and it looks like great fun. I considered getting an old 205GTi and running that with Mrs Wil as Nav, or maybe something a tad newer....... If I got the 205, I could spend this year ripping it to bits and o/hauling, then enter next years event :)

Bodhi

How about a BMW M Coupe? They're rough and ready as they come, and with 320bhp, you're never likely to find yourself down on power. Should be 100% reliable and it has gained somewhat of a cult following, so should be worth checking out if you can cope with the breadvan looks. It's far from bland tho.

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Getting my mums modded MR2 :D

But i really want an imported Dodge Ram, because its an absoulte monster

Dodge%20Ram%20SRT10.jpg

Its got the Viper Engine in it, mmmmmm, Better buy some shares in BP, im gunna be guzzling enough of their fuel, might make money back ;)

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Bodhi said:
How about a BMW M Coupe? They're rough and ready as they come, and with 320bhp, you're never likely to find yourself down on power. Should be 100% reliable and it has gained somewhat of a cult following, so should be worth checking out if you can cope with the breadvan looks. It's far from bland tho.

I had a 323 coupe before the TT and whilst obv not as pokey as the M, Id rather not get the same again. Good idea though ;)

Bodhi

Yeah as RB pointed out, the M Coupe isn't a 3 series, its a Z3 roadster with a roof. Oh, and 320bhp :)

Just found out my car is pretty dead, gonna cost a grand or two to put right, so i think i shall be claiming on the insurance and getting myself another GTI, or maybe a VR6 if I'm feeling daring (and I can afford the insurance....). Can't afford the Fiat Coupe just yet, that'll have to wait a year or two. It's definitely on my shortlist tho.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Rubber Bullets said:
I'm confused.

I thought Bodhi was talking about this. Which isn't the same as a 323 coupe at all.

RB

ahh, my mistake entirely :(

Hmm, looks good, but I really want something a bit old and hard.....know what I mean??

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Bodhi said:
Yeah as RB pointed out, the M Coupe isn't a 3 series, its a Z3 roadster with a roof. Oh, and 320bhp :)

Just found out my car is pretty dead, gonna cost a grand or two to put right, so i think i shall be claiming on the insurance and getting myself another GTI, or maybe a VR6 if I'm feeling daring (and I can afford the insurance....). Can't afford the Fiat Coupe just yet, that'll have to wait a year or two. It's definitely on my shortlist tho.

Is there that much difference between VR6 and Fiat Coupe prices? I'd always kind of put them in the same price bracket...

Got to say, while I've always loved the Fiat Coupe, I don't think I'd touch a second-hand one with a bargepole. A low mileage 20v Turbo would be the one to go for, but the problem is that even full service history with a Fiat isn't worth the paper its written on because the dealers are so poor. Same with the Alfa GTV; a 3.0 would be a great buy on paper, but it probably won't have been maintained even if the owner thinks it has. Really sad because an Alfa Brera 3.2 would have been a perfect replacement for my Z, (and its fekkin' gorgeous) but I don't think I could go through that Fiat/Alfa dealer shit again.

Clown

Part of the furniture
.Wilier. said:
ahh, my mistake entirely :(

Hmm, looks good, but I really want something a bit old and hard.....know what I mean??
A corpse?

Bodhi

DaGaffer said:
Is there that much difference between VR6 and Fiat Coupe prices? I'd always kind of put them in the same price bracket...

Got to say, while I've always loved the Fiat Coupe, I don't think I'd touch a second-hand one with a bargepole. A low mileage 20v Turbo would be the one to go for, but the problem is that even full service history with a Fiat isn't worth the paper its written on because the dealers are so poor. Same with the Alfa GTV; a 3.0 would be a great buy on paper, but it probably won't have been maintained even if the owner thinks it has. Really sad because an Alfa Brera 3.2 would have been a perfect replacement for my Z, (and its fekkin' gorgeous) but I don't think I could go through that Fiat/Alfa dealer shit again.

Decent VR6's seem to be starting around 3k, whereas the Coupes are starting around 5k and I was thinking along the same lines as you, a Coupe isn;t going to be the safest buy in the world. I've just had a look through Auto Trader, seen lots of Golf VR6's and GTi 16v's I could probably afford, I'm tinkering with the idea of a 106 GTI tho. Supposed to be great to drive, should be cheaper to run than the Golf and I'd be getting a much newer car into the bargain. I'm just a bit worried about their love of lift-off oversteer I don't particularly want to crash again in a hurry. Also saw some old 328i's which would be an idea, just don't fancy the bills if anything goes wrong....

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
A 106GTi will have been thrashed to within an inch of its life. It would feel a bit...flimsy after a Golf as well. Clio 16v is a better car than a 106 and doesn't feel like its made out of cardboard.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Bodhi said:
Decent VR6's seem to be starting around 3k, whereas the Coupes are starting around 5k and I was thinking along the same lines as you, a Coupe isn;t going to be the safest buy in the world. I've just had a look through Auto Trader, seen lots of Golf VR6's and GTi 16v's I could probably afford, I'm tinkering with the idea of a 106 GTI tho. Supposed to be great to drive, should be cheaper to run than the Golf and I'd be getting a much newer car into the bargain. I'm just a bit worried about their love of lift-off oversteer I don't particularly want to crash again in a hurry. Also saw some old 328i's which would be an idea, just don't fancy the bills if anything goes wrong....

What about a Corrado VR6?

I love my Golf VR6 but a bit more power, and a touch better handling would turn it into a great car. The Corrado does both these things. The insurance was almost identicle for both, at least for me (but then I am practically middle aged with a clean license and no claims, and I live in a low risk area).

BTW VR6 bills can also be a bit eyewatering, but fortunately not too much has gone wrong with mine in the 2 1/5 years I've had it.

RB

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Bills on my beemer make me feel like I've had a hard kick in the nuts :(

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Bodhi said:
Decent VR6's seem to be starting around 3k

brit car prices make me want to kill you all. such a car starts at 18k (gbp) here. or at least the scummy 2002 one I found did :/

Bodhi

Gat_Decor said:
*cough* Saxo VTS *cough*

*cough* 106 GTI handles better according to most motoring authorities*cough*

The 106 is slightly less stereotyped as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom