Star Wars DVD

N

nath

The original LaserDiscs (which I bought.. honest) have be converted to DVD5 so you can burn it on a dvd-r. They're pretty damn decent quality, widescreen and the original film. Jolly good indeed. I knew if/when Lucas released the originals on DVD he'd gay them up like that so it's a damn good thing that the untouched originals are *available* on DVD. :D

S

Scouse

He should never have changed them for the special edition in the first place.

But the real reason is:

money....

Why else would you go out and spend another fuckload of cash on something you've bought 5 times already on different formats?

X

xane

Weren't the Star Wars "special edition" videos that were released a few years back already edited, i.e. replaced most of the spaceship scenes with CGI ?

So, how does this differ ?

Personally I'd like to get them in 16:9 letterbox, as close to cinema as possible.

S

Scouse

Originally posted by xane
Personally I'd like to get them in 16:9 letterbox, as close to cinema as possible.

I think there's a shop near the Cinema in Nottingham that you can get 'em from.

T

Tom

We all know that after the release of SW3, they're going to release a mega-special-limited-edition-super-extended-quality-box-set-dvd. Just wait for that to arrive. Buying early releases is just more ching ching for the studios.

N

nath

Originally posted by xane
Weren't the Star Wars "special edition" videos that were released a few years back already edited, i.e. replaced most of the spaceship scenes with CGI ?

So, how does this differ ?

That's exactly what I've got in the Laserdisc -> DVD5 thing. It's fantastic.

M

Meatballs

I hate not having the latest best edition box set of something it really pisses me off :(

C

.Cask

Sounds good to me. Vader taking off his helmet to reveal a pasty white egg-head was probably one of the most dissapointing moments of my childhood and is responsible for the majority of my problems since.

S

Sar

Among the other changes reportedly being made are the restoration of the original "Han shoots first" moment from Star Wars

Not all bad then.

:)

S

sad_mung

I don't belive that story for one moment.
It's too ludicrous to be for real.

J

Jonny_Darko

Umm, it is real. Another thing he has done is put a load of clouds going through the sky underneath Tatooine's two suns when luke is looking up at them whistfully in "A New Hope".

Lucas is such a retard, and I'd happily take out Rick McCallum with my bare hands. Re-editing the "Han Solo Shoots First" fiasco back to what it originally was proves the man doesn't have a clue.

You know what he's going to do next don't you? Either release the original 1977 - 1983 prints (Which everyone will buy of course) or take the "special" (as in school) editions and "crap them up" so they look like the old ones again. Just a more cynical version of the coco pops / choco crispies marketing scam.

Oh good lord, Episode III will suck a large one. The disparity between the potential it has and the shite it will turn out to be is shocking.

X

xane

I love reading critiques of Star Wars.

When we first saw it most of us were in your early years, it was a groundbreaking film and we were all "wow" and "cor". Nobody commented on an insanely camp robot or cuddly teddy bears or how someone becomes a princess without any discernable breasts.

And that's just it, now we are older we're examining the films to death, and bizarrely we talk of Lucus losing the plot. My six year old loves it, and so do all his mates, that proves to me it's a good film aimed at the right audience.

J

Jonny_Darko

I've never agreed with that POV. I mean, I know the old films aren't exactly works of genius but there's really no doubt that the new ones are uniformly awful.

I don't judge films any differently to how I did as a kid. I loved good films as a kid and I love good kids' films now - such as Stuart Little, Lilo & Stitch etc.

I've never seen such a soulless, boring, cringeworthy "action film" as Episode 2 in my life.

A

Arnor

Among the changes, all guns have been replaced with walkie-talkies

*sigh*

the crapocalypse is nigh i tell you, NIGH!!!

Users who are viewing this thread