Advice SSD?

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
Where's the best place to get an SSD? Seen a 128GB one on Crucial for £75 whichseems reasonable but I'm not up to speed on the latest hardware prices.

Access Denied

Hmm, sounds good to me. Making a list of components for a new PC.

Going to get:

Mainboard = Gigabit LAN, PCI-E 3.0 Dual Channel, SATA3, DDR3 etc

i5 3750k

16Gb DDR3 RAM

120ish Gb SSD for boot.

2TB HDD for storage.

800W Modular PSU.

Graphics Card: No idea so far.

So far I've only found the SSD.

Access Denied

I had a bloody awesome idea for a case last night. Will get it designed very soon and post it for your amazement!

Access Denied

As an update. I haf question. You vill answer ze question! Ve haf vays of making you talk!

Now then, regarding SATA speeds. What exactly decides how fast it is? I mean, you get SATA 1, 2 and 3. I know the drive and the Mobo port do so but does the data cable? What about hot swap trays? Do the connections on those determine speed?

Killswitch

FH is my second home
My understanding is that all SATA (and SAS for that matter) variants are pin-compatible and the only important factor should be the speed of the drive controller and the speed of the motherboard controller. Now if you have some fancy SATA/SAS backplane or expander, that might well need to natively support 6Gb/s (for example).

Access Denied

Will have to do more research. Thought of a way to make my case look brilliantly tidy but it's too hard to explain in words, lol. Cheers matey.

Athan

Resident Freddy
Be aware that at least some motherboards won't do SATA 3 speeds (or indeed USB 3.0 full whack) necessarily if you also want full speed from a 16x PCI-E video card. Certainly my Gigabyte P55A-UD3 has this warning on the BIOS options. Then again I don't have an SSD so wouldn't actually take advantage of SATA 3 speeds any way, nor do I have any USB device that would benefit from the full USB 3.0 speed, so I have it set to ensure my GPU gets the full speed.

It's something to do with how many PCI-E channels there are for the chipset and bandwidth allocation. I'd hope later chipsets than mine sorted this issue out.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Myself and Zarjazz have been using the Samsung SSD 830 at work for a while no with absolutely no problems. Just ordered one for home and should turn up today. Things I like about it, all internal components are designed and built by Sammy, has a 256mb DDR2 cache sat on top of the SSD, has good reviews and oh, it looks pwetty :p

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005OK6VTA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
SSD wise there's not a great deal in it... Corsair Neutron & Force GS series SSD's are worth a gander...

most fast SSD's can saturate a SATA 3 bus these days.

Ensure that whatever you buy supports the TRIM command.

you don't need a 120gig windows boot sad... 60 gig is more than adequate. my fresh win7 install is 13gb. if you want to pick and choose games to install on the SSD then yeh go for 120-240+ gig. but if ya gonna use a second ssd for games, or use one to cache a spinny disk then save money on the boot drive. my £60 corsair force GS goes from omm to useable internet exploder window in 12 seconds.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom