SSD for Laptop OS

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Morning All. Long time and all that.

A quick one. I have an old laptop that I want to use for work stuff. It's alright but takes a while to boot at times. It can also be sluggish on some websites. It's Windows 10 and a 64 bit that's all I can remember off the top of my head. Would getting a SSD and loading the OS on that speed things up and help?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Possibly, depends on the existing internal storage and how replaceable it is. Got a make model?

Welcome back btw

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Morning All. Long time and all that.

A quick one. I have an old laptop that I want to use for work stuff. It's alright but takes a while to boot at times. It can also be sluggish on some websites. It's Windows 10 and a 64 bit that's all I can remember off the top of my head. Would getting a SSD and loading the OS on that speed things up and help?
:fluffle:

Syri

FH is my second home
I would say you'll almost definitely see some improvement (unless something else is starting to fail, causing the slow-down) as most laptop hard drives get quite slow not far into their life, due to the high spin speed for a smaller device, among other reasons. When I was working in laptop repairs, one of the most common failures was mechanical hard drives.
As for how much an SSD will help, it depends first on what storage expansion slots are available, and also on the rest of the spec. If the laptop has a celeron CPU paired with 4gb RAM, even the fastest SSD won't help much. If it's a core i3 or above with at least 8gb though, even a SATA SSD will give a decent speed boost, and if it supports nvme, that will be even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom