Fitness Squat Challenge! Anyone want in?

Gumbo

FH is my second home
I would post this in the fitness thread, but I bet there's a lot of people who don't look in that at all.

I like to do little challenges every now and again, just to pu(ni)sh myself a bit, but it's been a while so I thought I'd do a squat challenge. It's a good exercise, uses big muscles, and you could get this done in just a couple of minutes a day, and still feel it the next morning.

I've found two charts, an easy and a hard one. I'm doing another workout programme at the same time, so I'm doing the easy one, I might switch up to the hard one if I'm not aching enough! Start date is Monday 2nd October.

I've always found it easier to share the pain of this kind of thing, so anyone want to join me?

Easy Plan
1a83e320905a8c13b9018671c2931e7a---day-fitness-challenge-fitness-challenges.jpg

Harder Plan
30-Day-Squat-Challenge.jpg

37281227366_6b94721f92_b.jpg

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Last squat challenge I did was 20 reps with my bodyweight on the barbell. Worked up a sweat...

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
I'm in for the easy one. Who's gonna tell me what a squat is?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I did effectively a 7 hour squat on the MTB in Courchevel the other week.

Might try the hard :)

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I'm already doing 3 sets of 50 for ski season prep.
I think I could probably do 250 within a week or two if I tried increasing reps.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
When do we start?

Monday!

It probably wouldn't hurt to do a few if you haven't done any at all between now and then to start to wake those muscles up, perhaps 10 a day or something.

I'm already doing 3 sets of 50 for ski season prep.
I think I could probably do 250 within a week or two if I tried increasing reps.

It's a great ski muscle exercise. I'll put you down for the hard challenge then :p

There are much harder challenges out there, but I figured it's best to start small for a lot of people.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
It definitely is, but you also need to do them right.

Go down slowly, a lot of people just collapse down, and then push up.
You need to go down slowly and then explode up.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Go down slowly, a lot of people just collapse down, and then push up.
You need to go down slowly and then explode up.
Sounds like me having sexy time with the wife

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Hard mode complete. :)

( What's that my legs aint working? pffft ).

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Must admit, I am looking at this challenge and thinking fuck that that this could be easily modified to be more golf related, and still give massive benefits. Change Squats for number of balls hit each day, I guaratee you would see benefits in flexibility, stamina, strength etc, and, more importantly, your handicap.

Hmm does anyone want to provide me with a £300 voucher for the local driving range so I can prove this?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Golf keeps old people active. It doesn't make them fit. :)

Bodhi

Yet if you look at the number of people in their 80's and 90's that the only exercise they've ever done is play golf, I'll take that as proof that it does the trick without having to do any of that tedious exercise lark.

Plus go hit 250 balls in one session and see how you feel afterwards :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yet if you look at the number of people in their 80's and 90's that the only exercise they've ever done is play golf, I'll take that as proof that it does the trick without having to do any of that tedious exercise lark.
It keeps people active. Don't deny it. It's use-it-or-lose-it tbh. And if your sole aim is to be able to get around a golf course then of course the primary activity should be regular golf.

But there's differing levels of fitness and golf is low on that scale tbh. But each to their own, of course :)

Plus go hit 250 balls in one session and see how you feel afterwards :)
I'd feel bored Bodhs old bean. Mostly bored.

Probably in the car on the way to the course tbpfh ;)

Bodhi

It keeps people active. Don't deny it. It's use-it-or-lose-it tbh. And if your sole aim is to be able to get around a golf course then of course the primary activity should be regular golf.

But there's differing levels of fitness and golf is low on that scale tbh. But each to their own, of course :)

I'd feel bored Bodhs old bean. Mostly bored.

Probably in the car on the way to the course tbpfh ;)

I expect you'd take 250 swings to hit the first ball, so yeah, I can see boredom in that :)

However if you look at the latest (?) guidance of moderate activity for 30 minutes 3 times a week, you can cover that in 9 holes. I normally play a couple of 9's in the week, a range session and 36 holes at the weekend, usually carrying 20+ kg's on my back. Far more enjoyable than a couple of times in the gym, watching people in the weights area grunting and admiring each other.

Plus golf courses have a 19th hole, which is FAR more entertaining :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
However if you look at the latest (?) guidance of moderate activity for 30 minutes 3 times a week, you can cover that in 9 holes.
I guess. It must be only just tho. Whenever I've played golf I've not kept up any sort of heart rate.

Totally with you on the gym. But like I said - each to their own. The 19th hole could techincally be doing you out of any gains if it's the default, but yep. Love a pub :)

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
My dad took up golf when he retired aged 61. He played it regularly till 6 months before he died at the age of 87. Over these 26 years or so it kept him active and relatively fit as well as allowing him a release when he spent most of his week dealing with my mother's deteriorating dementia. It also made him friends and gave him a social life.

It's clearly not for everyone, but for dad it was a life saver and I am so glad that he took it up when he did.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
I just did my 30 whilst making a cup of tea. Had what was supposed to be a cardio workout this morning, but it was quite squat/lunge/burpee heavy so I felt even just 30.

Anyone else had a go?

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Done my 30. I foolishly didn't do any in the lead up, too busy playing Warhammer 2. So around tomorrow lunchtime I will start feeling them :)

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Just in time to do the next set then! You can spread them out over the day if you want. That's within the rules (y)

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Done my 30. I foolishly didn't do any in the lead up, too busy playing Warhammer 2. So around tomorrow lunchtime I will start feeling them :)

But that's the payoff tbh! After-feels.

Done 55 right after i had coffee and food-stuffs. Feel a little nauseous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom