Spyware / Virus attack

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I got something on my PC - spyware / virus or both. Basically it prevents me running Task Manager and from launching any .exe progs - like anti-virus programs. Used Spybot and Adaware even in safe mode. Used various progs to see what processes were running - again in safe mode - and deleted the dodgy ones - still no luck

Anyone offer advice ? I'm sure this can be cracked without having to reformat the hard drive. Appreicate any help

Thx

P.S. I'm running Windows XP home edition.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
im no expert, but if you know filenames try to remove them via regedit... dunno ;d

Fenderon

Can't get enough of FH
if you can get the program started..

have a look at

msconfig .. top right thingy is what windows can see of programs that start at boot.

also there is The Cleaner from http://www.moosoft.com/products/cleaner/

free 30 day trial or something. Worth a shot.. in safemode of course.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Lamp said:
I got something on my PC - spyware / virus or both. Basically it prevents me running Task Manager and from launching any .exe progs - like anti-virus programs. Used Spybot and Adaware even in safe mode. Used various progs to see what processes were running - again in safe mode - and deleted the dodgy ones - still no luck

I dont really get it. You can run your anti-spyware exe's but not your antivirus ones?

You need to do an AV scan. Spyware normally isnt as malicious as this sounds.

Try get a list of processes posted here. Also, when in safe mode or whatever, run 'regedit' and look here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

It'll list stuff that runs at startup. Tell us what you have / delete anything that looks dodgy.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
get hold of stinger and run that. worked for me when i rebuilt my pc and ran windows update before installing my firewall (doh doh doh)

pc went mental, wouldnt allow antivirus to open etc. downloaded stinger and ran that and it fixed the buggers good and proper.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Try NOD32 seems best anit-virus package ive seen,instead of just removing viruses it seems to actually scan every site u go to and tells u a virus trying to get onto your computer and from what webpage.
P.S if all virus killers do that then ignore me:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom