Spotting a stealther

P

phillies

I have today begun playing my critblade in thid.... I have 19+5 in stealth so I see alot of stealthers running around, and was wondering how this whole uncovering thing works... for example.: I see a nightshade, but he doesnt see me (ofc I am elite), now would I have to run as quickly as possible towards him and try to get that PA in before he notices me or has the game allready made his roll and he will not uncover me ? if not how often does it make a check and will his chances be greater as I get closer ?

On a sidenote... PA vs. Backstab2+thigh cut, what are your oppinions on this? ... I mean with PA the damage in one round is devastating ofc and casters NEED to be perforated for that one-shot kill... But I found (playing only one evening) that against harder 'mobs' like infils and tanks the backstab2+thigh cut may work better for 2 shots of good damage and 2 chances of critting with high damage.. have any of you experimented with this ?

oh yeah my spec is (will be, tommorow when I hopefully get my suit)
Stealth 19+5
CS 21+5
Axe 18+5
Poison - eh...rest ;)

any help or buffbots would be greatly appreciated :rolleyes:

R

Rulke-RM

If you can see an enemy assassin, always assume they can see you...

BS2 is about the only stun you'll have in thid, i like using it on sitting targets so i can get another style in while they're stunned sitting :)

From your spec i assume your going to be using 2h, so probably best to avoid BS.

TBH, speccing a SB for 2H, just remember to leave space on your qbar for a /release macro

W

Whisperess

Originally posted by Rulke-RM
TBH, speccing a SB for 2H, just remember to leave space on your qbar for a /release macro
For thid, are you kidding? As a lvl 50 spec, sure - but not in thid :)

Get Mourning Rage ( 6.0 spd 9.0 dps ( lvl 24 ) MP Axe ).
You'll 1-shot just about anything with PA.

R

Rulke-RM

yeah but you dont always get PA off.

Or maybe that's just my lack of skillz :(

P.S my cap with SB in thid using 2H (5.3spd) compared to LA (4.2/2.4) was about 30 points, but double the swing speed and only 1 poison etc. Spec was something like 15axe 12 LA 21CS

P

phillies

I am using Morning Rage and have a 4,7spd 2-hander I switch to if I can see that it's going to be a hard fight.... If the prey is sitting I'll PA him because then he will die for sure.... Oh did I mention I one-shottet a blademaster ? :clap:

Still looking for game mechanics info though :)

P

phillies

I am using Morning Rage and have a 4,7spd 2-hander I switch to if I can see that it's going to be a hard fight.... If the prey is sitting I'll PA him because then he will die for sure.... Oh did I mention I one-shottet a blademaster ? :clap:

Still looking for game mechanics info though :)

D

duact

i try to pa most targets in bg1 coz that usually makes them die :)
mourning rage + scforthewin

I

Ironfoot

I could be mistaken but I seem to remember reading that your stealth bubble is refreshed every 3 secs. So technically opponents get a roll to check your stealth every 3 seconds, Although i could be way off on that.

I

iluvatur

aye, your stealth gives you a virtual ''bubble'' that refreshes every 3 seconds ... ones with lower stealth will be revealed further away etc.

i'm not sure if its changed but this is how i understand it

D

Driwen

you dont get a roll. Depending on your stealth and the enemies level he can see you from a set distance. This will always be the same one, unless your spec in stealth or his level changes. If you come into this range it will offcourse take a little time for the server to tell the other person you are there, so if you walk in on someone he will see you slightly later than he is supposed due to lag. This is off course reversed for when you walk away from him.

P

piggeman

Originally posted by phillies
I have today begun playing my critblade in thid.... I have 19+5 in stealth so I see alot of stealthers running around, and was wondering how this whole uncovering thing works... for example.: I see a nightshade, but he doesnt see me (ofc I am elite), now would I have to run as quickly as possible towards him and try to get that PA in before he notices me or has the game allready made his roll and he will not uncover me ? if not how often does it make a check and will his chances be greater as I get closer ?
This is copy/paste from Quivna's Spec Guide.

Stealth:

This is tricky, stealth has no abilities in the spec line making it somewhat un-attractive, and however, if you ever plan to solo, or get into stealth squads, it is essential. The popular ranger spec for stealth is currently around 30-36 stealth. 30 stealth is good if you only plan to be at mile gate/keep defense standoffs, and mostly grouping with support classes when you RvR. This will free up some spec points for you, and make you at a acceptable level for the new see hidden changes. Roughly 1300units give or take factoring in possible skill +'s. However if you want to solo often, and want the ability to grow with your spec, the most popular stealth spec for a ranger would be 35, and is my personal recommendation.

RR5 is your 51st level, and is moderately easy to obtain, Realm Rank 5, should be your basis when factoring in what skill +'s you plan to have.

Also with an overall effective stealth rating of 50, with the new see hidden changes inc, you will not only be at the lowest possible detection range for assassins, and normal players, but you will be at the lowest detection range for the see hidden RA, which currently I believe is 900 units.

What about the See Hidden changes?

To Quote Oaklief:
"So my guess is that you are correct... See Hidden vs. 1 stealth = Detect Hidden, against a level 50 assassin. But we need more data points, particularly against assassins of lower level. I've been having problems finding one though with See Hidden.... all the assassins on Pendragon seem to be level 50 or a /level'd character on Pendragon without the realm points to get See Hidden.

So how would this work for an assassin?

Level 50 assassin hunting a 50 spec archer/minstrel,
Detect Hidden range = 250 + 50*0 = 250
See Hidden range = 2700 - 36*50 = 900
And the maximum of the two is used. (650 difference)

Level 50 assassin hunting a 40 spec archer/minstrel,
Detect Hidden range = 250 + 50*10 = 750
See Hidden range = 2700 - 36*40 = 1260 (510 difference)
And the maximum of the two is used.

Level 50 assassin hunting a 30 spec archer/minstrel,
Detect Hidden range = 250 + 50*20 = 1250
See Hidden range = 2700 - 36*30 = 1620
And the maximum of the two is used. (370 difference)

Level 50 assassin hunting a 20 spec archer/minstrel,
Detect Hidden range = 250 + 50*30 = 1750
See Hidden range = 2700 - 36*20 = 1980
And the maximum of the two is used. (230 difference)

Level 50 assassin hunting a 10 spec archer/minstrel,
Detect Hidden range = 250 + 50*40 = 2250
See Hidden range = 2700 - 36*10 = 2340
And the maximum of the two is used. (90 difference)

Level 50 assassin hunting a 4 spec archer/minstrel,
Detect Hidden range = 250 + 50*46 = 2550
See Hidden range = 2700 - 36*4 = 2556
And the maximum of the two is used. (last point SH is higher)

Level 50 assassin hunting a 3 spec archer/minstrel,
Detect Hidden range = 250 + 50*47 = 2600
See Hidden range = 2700 - 36*3 = 2592
And the maximum of the two is used. (DH is now higher)

Level 50 assassin hunting a 2 spec archer/minstrel,
Detect Hidden range = 250 + 50*48 = 2650
See Hidden range = 2700 - 36*2 = 2628

Level 50 assassin hunting a 1 spec archer/minstrel,
Detect Hidden range = 250 + 50*49 = 2700
See Hidden range = 2700 - 36*1 = 2664

Note that the higher the stealth of the archer/minstrel, the more SH does for the assassin. "

As you can see using the formula you can come up with any stealth spec really to determine what you think is the best bang for your buck against SH.

What's the equation for finding my detection range?

See Hidden range = 2700 - 36*(modified stealth level)
Detect Hidden range = 250 + 50*(50 - modified stealth level)

Will any assassins have it after the patch?

Sure, remember, SB's and Infiltrators don't have the best RA's to be spec'ing, they usually have points left over wondering where they should spend them, and since archers got ALOT of love this patch, I wouldnt be surprised if we are the FOTM again. Which in turn will yield somewhat of a demand for SH again.

What does those numbers mean?

50 overall stealth, if Cammo is down, if your off the beaten path, your probably O.K.
40 Stealth with Cammo down might want to stay closer to the trees.
30 and lower, might as well go to your old hiding spots =) But you wont have to worry AS much, your only 1/2mile detectable now, instead of 1 mile =)

General statement:

Melee and Group only rangers should see stealth as the “extra-point” category.
Your average ranger should see stealth at 30-33.
Solo / Sniper / stealth group rangers should spec stealth to at least 35, or whatever their desired “easy to get” realm rank will be.

This copy/paste is of course for a lvl 50 assassin/range. But the idea is the same for a lowbie. The highter stealth you got, the faster you move and your target (let's say he have less stealth points then you) won't detect you until it's too late.

V

Vidfamne

blä

for best bg i spec i must say :

stealth 19+5
sword 20+5
cs 21 +5
enevom 3+5

your pa will do so much dmg that u easly take buffed infis and ns

casters go down in 1shot

W

Whisperess

Re: blä

Originally posted by Vidfamne
for best bg i spec i must say :

stealth 19+5
sword 20+5
cs 21 +5
enevom 3+5

your pa will do so much dmg that u easly take buffed infis and ns

casters go down in 1shot
why spec sword and lose out on the best 2h weapon in the game for lvl 24?

You simply can not beat Mourning Rage for Thidranki.

H

horil

Where can you get that "Mourning rage" again? :D

P

phillies

A named dirge (i think) .... in the water behind askheim near gna faste ... to the left when you pass askheim at the first ww's... you may have to kill placeholders though

edit - around lvl 25-26 afaik.... grey to lvl 50 ;)

W

Whisperess

/em watches how the level 50ies swarm around Askheim.

Happy Hunting! ( he doesn't spawn every night, atleast he didn't use to )

J

Jarrax

I'm pretty sure the named dirge is called Sorrow. Could be wrong though.

W

Whisperess

Originally posted by Jarrax
I'm pretty sure the named dirge is called Sorrow. Could be wrong though.
Or you could be right, which you are.

V

Vidfamne

Re: Re: blä

Originally posted by Whisperess
why spec sword and lose out on the best 2h weapon in the game for lvl 24?

You simply can not beat Mourning Rage for Thidranki.

sorry didnt know that axe(i belave its s axe) existed. Well next
sb is gonna be specced in axe but u have too agree its looks better whit sword : )

R

Rulke-RM

My next SB is going to be a staff wielding crit-blade :)

K

Kindar

My sb in thid is specced 20 stealth, 21 cs, 18 sword and 8 env i think.
I could go with Mourning Rage, but i decided to go with sword and use a 2h sword. Not the slowest, but not the quickest either. I just think the med speed is good. Good PA damage and good combat speed.
I'd like to hit more times on a target, since most of my targets are stealthers. Its a pain if they evade a spd 6.0 weapon....but a pain to them if not.
I don't take that chance thou :)

So far my sb had some good runs in thid...mostly only lost due to adds or uncovered after fight :)

P

phillies

Why 20 stealth ?
speccing over 24 (19+5) doesnt give any advantage afaik

Users who are viewing this thread