Spot the Sound Card

Kryten

Old Cow.
Well not spot, but a case of "does anyone recognise this" and can tell me specifically what it is.

xfi2.jpg

xfi1.jpg

It's a Creative X-Fi of some description.
It's NOT a retail or OEM Xtreme Gamer or Xtreme Music, although a search on the model number (SB0770) says it is.
The backplate and connections are identical to the dire Xtreme Audio PCI-E card, except it's PCI and it has that odd extra processor on the back.
I suspect it might be a Dell special.
A beer/rep points for any useful information :D

Cheers

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
It looks like the dell x-fi, I have one in a drawer somewhere, I took it out of an old dell I use as a smoothwall. The dell in question is a desktop case machine (not a tower), not sure of the exact model no. as it lives in the loft, but I might have the manual and a driver disk somewhere.
Edit: I think I used a hp oem driver to get it working last time I used it...

GReaper

Part of the furniture
What's the PCI ID of it? You might be able to Google it and find out a little bit more about it.

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
cannot make out whats on the labels on picture one, but looks a little like the x-fi card.

PCI ID would be a good check, like GReaper said

EDIT - if you tell me the details on the back, I've a few non-regular x-fi cards here with a tonne of drivers, i could always email you some.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Are the front two ports (black in the foreground) modem in/out ports?

Kryten

Old Cow.
Yeah they're optical.

I've googled everything that is google-able - theres only 2 useful hits - one is an entirely japanese site that points out its a Dell OEM card, with some photographs comparing it to a standard Xtreme Music.
Another site is from an audio enthusiast who just links to the above and lots of people going "cool I want one because of the optical in/outs"

But, a bit of further investigation shows it is in fact a Dell Xtreme Gamer card, built only for Dell and HP. Extra chip on the back handles those optical ports, the DACS are the same as those on the normal X-Fi - which puts aside my fears that it was just a rebadged X-Fi Xtreme Audio (which is in turn a rebadged CPU dependant Audigy and worthless to boot).

I won't bother changing it for my Xtreme Music anyway, but will probably sell it if I can. Just limited by the fact that it would appear that only the Dell drivers work with it.

Thanks a lot for the input though, at least I'm not alone in finding these odd cards :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom