Question Sports Personality of the Year - no women

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Only thing that matters is who wins, if in same series of same sport.

Shoudl just drop the womens/mens sports and combine the two.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
DaGaffer said:
No, my logic is sound, yours isn't. Lightweight v. heavyweight is two different classes within the same sport, male v. female within the same sport is exactly the same. Sorry, you're just wrong on this one.

How can it be Gaff? If that were the case, women wouldn't need ladies tees in golf, women would play best of 5 instead of best of 3 in tennis etc. etc.

Chilly

Balls of steel
By even pointing out there are no women she is supporting discrimination.

Not quite sure I agree with you there. Pointing out that this year there is a miserable crop (ie none) of women. However, demanding she be in it to balance the numbers is a bit shit. It's a shame that no women have excelled (apparently) enough this year to make it past the first round.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
How can it be Gaff? If that were the case, women wouldn't need ladies tees in golf, women would play best of 5 instead of best of 3 in tennis etc. etc.

I don't get you. Scouse was saying that because women don't compete against men directly, they should basically shut up. I was pointing out that even within male sports there are rankings and handicaps to separate different groups, and separating male and female is exactly the same, and for same reasons; so a woman doing well against her peers (e.g. other women) is as equally valid as a male welterweight boxer doing well against his peers, and you wouldn't expect him to compete against other boxers in a different class. I don't understand the confusion here.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
No, my logic is sound, yours isn't. Lightweight v. heavyweight is two different classes within the same sport, male v. female within the same sport is exactly the same. Sorry, you're just wrong on this one.

To be fair - I mostly agree with you. Lightweight vs Heavyweight isn't a fair match up so I disagree with that logic. But you're correct - man vs woman isn't a fair match up either - which is why we have men's and women's competition. :)

However, the fact we all don't talk about is that the pinnacle of all sporting achievement is achieved by men - because of our superior physiology. My annoyance at mankind ignoring that fact, just to make women feel better about themselves, is the main reason for my slightly pissy stroppy "oh shut the fuck up you bleeding women" original post :)

DaGaffer

However, the fact we all don't talk about is that the pinnacle of all sporting achievement is achieved by men - because of our superior physiology. My annoyance at mankind ignoring that fact, just to make women feel better about themselves, is the main reason for my slightly pissy stroppy "oh shut the fuck up you bleeding women" original post :)

Not entirely sure I agree. Going back the boxing example; while the "pinnacle" of boxing is routinely seen as the heavyweight category (and that's where the most money is), that's not usually where you find the best fights (quite the reverse in fact). Now I'm kind of playing Devil's Advocate here, because I can't actually think of a women's category of sport that's more interesting than the men's version (except Beach Volleyball of course ;)), but the principle stands, its possible for a women's sport to be as good or better than the men's version, depending on how you measure it.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home

That's why we should jsut combine them and let track&field sort it out.

If a woman beats all ze men, fine. If not, shut up :p

(That was a short tribes session mister tata :D)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Now I'm kind of playing Devil's Advocate here, because I can't actually think of a women's category of sport that's more interesting than the men's version (except Beach Volleyball of course ;))

I think the reason you're struggling to find a category of womens sport that's better (other then when they've got their bewbs out) is because it isn't. :)

When I watch women's tennis I'm watching the women. If I wanted to watch a tennis match - I'd watch the mens.

Same goes for football, rugby, running fast, fighting, throwing, jumping, swimming etc. etc. etc.

I'm bored of having to pretend women are our physical equal, that they're just as interesting to watch from a sporting angle, when they're just not. If they were then women's sport would be on the telly more.

Saying women our our physical equal is like a lot of overtly expressed men's "opinions" - we only say it so we can get laid. When out with the lads we're completely different. We all know it.

its possible for a women's sport to be as good or better than the men's version, depending on how you measure it.

I don't dispute this. I just haven't found any yet :)

BTW -
(That was a short tribes session mister tata :D)

Wow. Obsessing much with following me around checking thread timings? Get out more. I'm sure you know how long it was between my last post and now, Toht...

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Saying women our our physical equal is like a lot of overtly expressed men's "opinions" - we only say it so we can get laid. When out with the lads we're completely different. We all know it.

Nobody says this though...so I don't see why you are kicking up such a fuss?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Oh come on Dys. You get the gist.

I'd hardly show a woman I was trying to shag this thread... :p

DaGaffer

Oh come on Dys. You get the gist.

I'd hardly show a woman I was trying to shag this thread... :p

Why? I don't know many women who would claim to be the physical equal of an equally healthy man in pure strength and speed terms (you'd get more of an argument about stamina). "Equal" doesn't mean "identical".

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
BTW -

Wow. Obsessing much with following me around checking thread timings? Get out more. I'm sure you know how long it was between my last post and now, Toht...

Oh wow, stick up arse much?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Why? I don't know many women who would claim to be the physical equal of an equally healthy man in pure strength and speed terms (you'd get more of an argument about stamina). "Equal" doesn't mean "identical".

Exactly! It is a simple fact.
I'm quit happy to say this to women*.

*I obviously wouldn't say this to a body builder women as she may just punch my lights out to prove she is physically stronger than me!

Nate

FH is my second home
Are you saying there isn't any point in competing if you aren't/can't be the physically fittest/strongest?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Before you lot attempt to hang me for dys's single sentence taken out of context of the post, which I already alluded to not being exactly what I wanted to say when I said - "you get the gist" is this:

Women's sport's shite. Period. Now fuck off :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Tell that to wolf off gladiator, who seems to be wearing a bikini in "I'm a washed up nobody, get me out of here"

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Frankly, I couldn't care less there's no women in there. These feminists can kiss my arse. Perhaps they just weren't good enough. And "personality" can't apply to Andy Murray, surely. Instead of "sports personality" why not just call it the BBC Sports Award?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Hey I seem to remember Chyna or some other female "wrestler" beating a man. If that pinnacle of a "sport" (and not in any way made up, staged or faked) isn't evidence that there's a level playing field I don't know what is!

soze

I am a FH squatter
Not quite sure I agree with you there. Pointing out that this year there is a miserable crop (ie none) of women. However, demanding she be in it to balance the numbers is a bit shit. It's a shame that no women have excelled (apparently) enough this year to make it past the first round.
IMO saying "I can't believe Jane Smith was not nominated she had a much better year than Joe Bloggs" is ok. But just pointing out there are no women is basically saying that sporting merits mean nothing.

rynnor

Rockhound
Why dont they just have a seperate one for the chicks - we could call it the 'Special' Sporting Personality of the Year awards so that everyone could win - Yay!

It's a bit saddening that even sports people moan after a fair contest that they lost?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Hey I seem to remember Chyna or some other female "wrestler" beating a man. If that pinnacle of a "sport" (and not in any way made up, staged or faked) isn't evidence that there's a level playing field I don't know what is!

I've seen her sex tape (with xpac) and her clit is nearly penis sized but I think it's definitely female genitalia.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
What are women whinging about. there'll be a "nice tits of the year" award at some point.

sayward

Resident Freddy
Haven't read all the posts but I cannot think of a woman that I watch/follow in any sport. Except very occasionally skiing, but then they wouldn't be English so would only qualify for an overseas award. You can't put a woman in ther just cos she's a woman.

I think the most interesting part of the whole 2hr programme is the list of dead people. I always end up thinking my God I didn't know so and so was dead, happens every year.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
To be fair - I don't know why they have the fucking award. It's hubris.

Sportsmen get enough accolades as it is - despite living an already massively priviledged lifestyle. They don't need another fucking slap on their backs.

sayward

Resident Freddy
To complete the full circle; aren't they all getting so depressed because it's all so stressful that they are commiting suicide? At that rate by the time the show airs there won't be anyone left alive to vote for!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom