Question Sports Personality of the Year - no women

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So, there's a bit of controversy about the nominations for the sports personality of the year. There's no women involved.

Rebecca Adlington's a bit miffed and advocates the same sort of "disgrace" she's moaning about being visited on the men next year:

Rebecca Adlington said:
Hopefully next year can be all women nominations after London 2012

I have to say ('cause I'm in that sort of mood) - sorry Becks, but if you were racing against men you'd never even qualify for the olympics so STFU.

Whadda you think? Arsed? Even in the slightest?

As an aside, I understand that it's sports "personality" - so the person with the best personality alongside an achievement should get a look-in - which gives women a greater chance. Frankly, finding a sportsperson with a personality is pretty difficult - they spend so much time training that they've no time to develop the mental faculties that mean that they have anything interesting to say other than about their chosen profession.

Edit: Jake Humphrey mentioned Chrissy Wellington (sp?) saying she's the best in the world at the Iron Man - but that belies the fact that it's the Iron Man - does she compete against the men? If she does, does she post better times? If not - then she can fuck off.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
They aren't always dumb....

Andrew Luck
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Luck

Without a doubt the No.1 pick in this years NFL draft, could have played for any college in America. He chose Stanford, and completed his undergraduate in 2 years....his Engineering undergraduate. He is now studying for his doctorate. Why is beyond me considering he is the most wanted commodity in American football, but the guy just has brains to burn.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
They aren't always dumb....

Andrew Luck
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Luck

Without a doubt the No.1 pick in this years NFL draft, could have played for any college in America. He chose Stanford, and completed his undergraduate in 2 years....his Engineering undergraduate. He is now studying for his doctorate. Why is beyond me considering he is the most wanted commodity in American football, but the guy just has brains to burn.

You effectively get given your degree in the United States if you're good at sports. The NFL's full of graduates. They play collage football like a full time job.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
Oh I know that, but I honestly believe this guy is different. He chose Stanford (a college that had as good as no football relevance before him) because he wanted to get his education as well. And why bother doing engineering if you just wanted coast?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
That's not really the point he's making. The guy chose a college with a great academic program because he wants to get a proper degree rather than leisure and tourism like most NFL players get. Stanford is not hugely renowned for it's football program when he could've gone anywhere in the country to play ball and get an easy ride.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Headlines? Link to story in original post m8.

As for NFL star manbearpig you may find a few, but I still think the vast majority of sportsmen are dull mcdull from boringsville :)

Anyway. I take it you don't really give a stuff about the lack of women nominations? We are discussing the aside after all...

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
3 golfers over 1 gold medallist? That's wrong. Adlington should probably be in there, but other than that is there anything women athletes have done recently?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Sorry Scouse, by your logic you could never nominate a flyweight boxer because a heavyweight would knock his head off. Women compete in the class they're in; benchmarking against men is irrelevant. A more pertinant question would be whether there are any British female sporting success stories this year? Can't think of any; the Women's England team performed to exactly same level as the men at the World Cup, so no joy there!

JingleBells

FH is my second home
I'm just hoping Cavendish wins it, he was dominant in the sprints in the Tour de France and winning the World Championships was fantastic.

Of course critics will say he didn't do it without his team (and to be fair the HTC Columbia train was pretty much unrivalled), but I'd love to see him get some recognition at home

Edit: As for the shortlist, the entire thing is strange - the Manchester Evening News & London Evening Standard are some of the shortlist voters, as are Nuts and Zoo magazine

What about Yorkshire, the North East or the Midlands?

In a non-football major year (no world or euros), with no Olympics and an abysmal rugby team the list would always appear sparse. The cricketers are rightly there for winning the Ashes in Australia, they should get team of the year easily. I can't think of any Women sportsmen who've done amazing, mostly cause outside of the Olympics most Olympic sports get very little coverage (anyone remember the Swimming or Athletics champs?)

Nate

FH is my second home
Sorry was replying to Cerb as to why he done what he done :p

The award doesn't really mean a lot to me, I don't pay attention to who won it or who's got it in the past. I'm surprised it bothers athletes that they aren't selected by some editors of national magazines and newspapers as having better personalities then others. Is it really that big a deal?

Chilly

Balls of steel
well if no girls got voted in then obviously we the public dont care (who votes on the nominations?)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Not fussed. it's only a time filler on TV anyway.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
well if no girls got voted in then obviously we the public dont care (who votes on the nominations?)

Publishers vote, and it seems that by and large they've all decided that women weren't up to much this year.

But really, who gives a shit? Isn't sport supposed to be free of politics?

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
The thing is a shambles anyway, how Phil Taylor has not won it once after transforming Darts and winning as much as he has is beyond me. It'd got Shite all to do with personality either as the majority of them are boring as fuck. Fact is no one really gives a shit about athletics unless its finals day and its the running!

They should give it to Balotelli for a laugh!

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
If it really is Sports Personality, Balotelli really should win it..

soze

I am a FH squatter
positive discrimination bs, just because you have a vagina it does not mean you deserve it more. By even pointing out there are no women she is supporting discrimination. The guy might deserve the vote but he should not get it because he does not have a vagina.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Sorry Scouse, by your logic you could never nominate a flyweight boxer because a heavyweight would knock his head off.

I almost fell for that Gaff. However, the logic is skewed :)

The logic is, if a female and a male flyweight boxer went at it and the woman won then fine.

By your logic we could have a golfer and a cross country skier going at it. Flyweight and heavyweight are clearly defined sporting divisions that people fight within.

I'm having a go because the women (as usual) are getting pissy because of their sex. Not because of their achievements (or, rather, lack thereof).

Kryten

Old Cow.
sorry what's the problem?
So there happens to be no women up for the award this year... so? :) Fuss over nothing. Next there will be complaints that one year it's all white people. We should all be grown up enough now to not expect a "token" nomination just to keep idiots happy. But then again that's the problem - there's too many idiots involved :(

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Cricket players only win it when we win the ashes, Golfers only win it when we win the Ryder cup, People from the olympics will get a chance next year. It's the biggest excuse ever for wankers sucking each other off while holding someone else nodger in their left hand, and stroking their balls with the right. Giggs has won it ffs, he's about as personable as a submarine shit!

megadave

I am a FH squatter
who's Rebecca Adlington, why should she be nominated?

Didn't that scumbag Giggs win it last year anyway? Kind of undermines the award :p

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
who's Rebecca Adlington,

She's a swimmer. From round my neck of the woods. Saw her out in Nottingham town centre - she's got a HEWUGE nose.

I reckon that's why she's good at swimming - she's got a built in keel.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
sorry what's the problem?

The usual bullshit inequality.

Lots of men, few women = sexist and biased
Lots of women, few men = tough shit, suck it up, girl power

Bunch of men wolf whistling at a woman = perverted sex pests
Bunch of women wolf whistling at a man = empowered and modern

A 40 year old women making sexual remarks about a 21 year old man = acceptable behaviour, a 'cougar'
A 40 year old man making sexual remarks about a 21 year old girl = unacceptable, pervert, probably find himself on a register

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well damn, big g pretty much summed it up.

If you don't get picked to something, it might just be it's not because you is woman/black/jellybean.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I almost fell for that Gaff. However, the logic is skewed :)

The logic is, if a female and a male flyweight boxer went at it and the woman won then fine.

By your logic we could have a golfer and a cross country skier going at it. Flyweight and heavyweight are clearly defined sporting divisions that people fight within.

I'm having a go because the women (as usual) are getting pissy because of their sex. Not because of their achievements (or, rather, lack thereof).

No, my logic is sound, yours isn't. Lightweight v. heavyweight is two different classes within the same sport, male v. female within the same sport is exactly the same. Sorry, you're just wrong on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom