Speeding: am I fucked?

mank!

Part of the furniture
Tom will know this.

I've just driven home from town the usual route, A420 was pretty clear and I got upto about 90mph when I saw a squad car in the distance. I thought there was an accident at first because I've NEVER seen any police on this road at all, but I slowed down anyway and flew past it at about 80mph in a 70mph zone. I've got no defence and all that, I just like driving fast and I wasn't really paying attention.

Anyway, I've only had my licence a year - will I lose it? Am I likely to get 3 or 6 points? Do you think they might not have noticed or just decided it's not worth persuing?

I can't lose my licence but I've got nobody to blame but myself if I do.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
No. 3 points max imo, and if you havent even had a ticket yet you might not even get anything.
Be calm :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
If it had a laser gun, it could have got you as far as 500 yards away, so it would be likely they'd have clocked you at more than 80mph.

Was it on the opposite carriageway, or your side? If on your side, I would have expected it to follow you. If it didn't, chances are you're in the clear, but just to be sure of what to do, go to www.pepipoo.com (fightback forums)

I doubt you'd get 6 points, more likely 3, but if you follow the advice in the link above, chances are you'll get 0 points.

Anyhow, at least you saw it - squad cars are mainly interested in the muppets they follow for 2 miles at speed, because they're not watching their immediate environment if they can't see a marked/unmarked traffic car.

mank!

Part of the furniture
It was parked on the central embankment, but where they were parked meant that anyone travelling in the opposition direction to me would be coming onto the dual carriageway from a 50 zone so would be unlikely to be speeding, whereas I was travelling towards the 50 zone so anyone heading that way would be slowing down anyway. I don't think they'd have been able to pull out to stop me anyway, maybe they were there for an accident or something.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Na, your not fucked at all.

If they were interested in doing you for speeding theyd have followed.
If they were checking speeds then there would (usually) be another car a little down the road to pull folks over that were speeding.

No guarantees, but the chances of anything happening about this are basically zero.

Surprised its taken a year between getting the licence and passing a police car while breaking the speed limit for the first time. It wont be the last: but next time I expect the panic will end after 10 seconds - when you realise its not following ;)

Chilly

Balls of steel
until youv finished oyur probationary period of a couple of years afterg getting your licence any speeding will lose your licence, i understand. I wouldnt worry about it though, youd deffo know by now if youd got busted. Which bit of the a420? thats a fun road to speed on, specially where it starts at the botley roundabout, take that uphill corner at 70 mph :D

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
There's nothing worse than shooting past a car at 65 in a 30 and then realising it was old bill. *crap pants*

kanonfodda

Fledgling Freddie
as far as I know you need to rack up 6 points within 2 years of passing to lose your licence. After the 2 years, its 12 points in 3 years.

But I wouldn't worry about it, as has been said, if they where after speeders, they would have had you on the spot, possible they were fitting those speed/traffic measrement devices or something.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Chilly said:
until youv finished oyur probationary period of a couple of years afterg getting your licence any speeding will lose your licence, i understand.

Is that right? Fuck. Good thing that wasn't law when I passed my test...

CurryKnight

Fledgling Freddie
I was doing 85 on the way down to Portsmouth once, looked in the mirror and had a police car right behind me, nearly shat myself. Anyway i slowed down and went into the middle lane and the police car shot straight past me. heh. possibly had better things to attend to but didn;t have lights on.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
They would have stopped you there and then; i wouldn't worry about it.

Chilly

Balls of steel
as long as its clear and not wet and good visibility most pigs wont give a shit if they catch you doing 85 on a motorway, if they see you doing 110 they might do you over, though

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The police are more concerned with pulling drivers who don't notice they're there. Watch those television programmes, its amazing how a marked car can follow another car at speed for a couple of miles with the car not even noticing the presence of the police. To an officer, that means the driver isn't aware of whats going on around him, and a likely danger.

If you see old bill on your tail at 85-90, even up to 100, so long as you slow down quickly you're unlikely to get into trouble.

Mank it sounds like the car was just being a visible deterrent, I'd be very surprised if you heard anything more about it. They'll only post something to you if they have video evidence, and it sounds extremely unlikely that they do.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Cheers guys, seems as though I'll live to drive another day :cool:

Chilly, it was the end of the dual carriageway part near the Standlake/Southmoor roundabout. It's dead straight, usually empty :D

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
I got pulled over for speeding here twice, uhm... three times... first and second time they let me go (they must have had the radar off or there was too much traffic, ie the readings wouldn't have been proper proof in court), second time I got a ticket (15 over.. it was three in the morning and No.4 reminded me of the Autobahn :p).

Cop came out from behind a hill and gave me the regular light&sound show.
I pissed myself a little tbh... 3 am, so he was being extra speshiul careful and had his hand on the gun the entire time he talked to me.

Maybe my "Cover me, I am changing lanes" bumper sticker made him think I was a reckless criminal with a corpse or two in the trunk...

Anyways - I contested the ticket and they lowered the charges to 10mph over.
Lowered the fee from $180 to $132 and only three points.

My insurance loves me. :p

But I think teh Mank should be fine. They don't chase you, you're lucky.
I think that's a universal rule for cops everywhere. Fixed radar thingies with photograph majiggs are bad (but they only have them at lights here..mwhaha).

Embattle

FH is my second home
DaGaffer said:
Is that right? Fuck. Good thing that wasn't law when I passed my test...

When you past feet were still the driving force...flintstone style :p

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Chilly said:
until youv finished oyur probationary period of a couple of years afterg getting your licence any speeding will lose your licence

Erm I believe you are wrong. The probationary period is 2 years.
And if you get 6 points on your license during this period you will loose it.

...However 3 points is still 3 points and you wont loose your license for it (you only get 6 points for doing 30mph more than speed limit iirc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom