Speakers onto PC?

Laddey

FH is my second home
So, i bought some speakers yesterday and I want to hook them up to my PC.

Anybody explain what wires to buy, and/or how to do it? My friend done it but also hooked up a amp/boombox and said he never needed to buy wires. Well anyway thanks in advance

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Laddey said:
So, i bought some speakers yesterday and I want to hook them up to my PC.

Anybody explain what wires to buy, and/or how to do it? My friend done it but also hooked up a amp/boombox and said he never needed to buy wires. Well anyway thanks in advance

what make are the speakers? and are they PC speakers or HIFI speakers?

:m00:

Laddey

FH is my second home
scorge said:
what make are the speakers? and are they PC speakers or HIFI speakers?

Sony and yes HIFI :) 600watt approx

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Laddey said:
Sony and yes HIFI :) 600watt approx

you would probably would of been better buying some high end pc speakers like these

http://www.creative.com/products/welcome.asp?category=4&subcategory=464&

here are two main ways of doing this; a "proper" way and a less refined way which still works. Both achieve the same results - better quality sound, but one method is more neat.

The neat method is to buy a 3.5mm stereo jackplug and to carefully remove the plugs from the hi-fi speakers and solder the wires onto the plug. The speakers should each have their ground-lead connected to the common (outer) on the plug, and the remaining two wires go to the two channels (left and right) on the plug.

The less neat method is to lop the plug off a pair of cheap headphones leaving a few inches of wire, and to lop the plugs off the speakers. The rest of the method is the same electrically, with the ground lead of each speaker going to the outer braid of the cable that was part of the headphones, and the loose signal wire from each speaker going to a loose wire on the severed headphone lead. Finally, some insulating tape is applied to the joins to stop the wires shorting out.

(The advantage of this method is that no soldering is required).

Points of note: It doesn't matter much which way round the speakers go, but they should both go the SAME way round. Also, make sure the plug is compatible with the "output" socket on your soundcard before mutilating any headphones. Plus, you can prove how much better hi fi speakers are as computer speakers than computer speakers are, by playing back the bassy sound of a tv tube being smashed.

MaCaBr3

Banned
I would suggest going trough an amp if ur using HiFi speakers. I don't think a computer can handle the output needed to fully use the power of hifi speakers, hence u need to go trough an amp.

When I hooked my amp to my pc, I bought a "mini jack to RCA" cable. That's all you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom