Spawn tube camping

O

old.Pascalean

While I'm in a posting and whining mood, I thought I'd get this out in the open. Spawn camping... It's become the norm to head straight for the spawn room in order to capture a base. Now I find myself gettng frustrated at this tactic which on the surface seems a kind of "cheesy" way to play. It's like the old campers in quake, not cheating as such but a rather cheap way to get kills.

Like I said it annoys me a little, but I'd appreciate other peoples thoughts so I know I'm not being a whining git :D

P

[PS]Mung

Aye it is annoying, but it is a valid tactic.
Always best if someone puts up an ams in the courtyard, that soon stops it.

T

the_smurflord

It's just sound tactics, to curtail the flow of reinforcements into the base. No military commander would ever pass up the opportunity to hit the enemy when they're at their weakest. Sure it's annoying at times, but is a perfectly sensible tactic, nothing lame about it.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

:rolleyes:

If I respawn at a base under attack/camped spawn tubes and I get shafted right away, I simply try to respawn at a nearby tower or AMS.

A valid tactic and only frustrating if you keep trying to respawn at the camped tube.

Doh.

D

Deadmanwalking

While i agree that it's valid what isn't valid and is plain lame, is certain players (Begins with A ends with Ki) who camp a spawn tube in a base. Fair enough you see as they wait for someone to hack a base. But when they are sitting there say 8 or so and they are not hacking the base just so they can get the kills? Now thats lame.

I know this from being in -X- Squad a few times and been givien orders NOT to hack the base and wait for anouther squad to do it just so they can rack up the kills.

P

[PS]Mung

God damn that is lame to the extreme.
That's a shit way of playing.

C

Chole

Aye tis anoying, but if it stops re-inforcements from stoping your hack in track, then fair enough
I dread spawning to find a Anchord TR MAX looking at me (Shudders)

Only thing I hate was instance last night, NC with JH, kills me (fair enough) kills me as I spawn (clever move, rather then go straight for CC) gets me a 3rd time (my own fault for thinking theyd gone to CC by then) but the anoying bit, they then spend 5mins shooting my dead body??? umm yeah that will solve lots

J

Jonaldo

There's no excuse for spawntube camping actually, you can destroy the spawntubes and stop the enemy from appearing at all.

Now consider yourself a general in a military operation do you want to stop the enemy when they are weakest, or simply have no enemy resistance at all?

S

shatter

Its not that simple. A spawn tube is a recourse just like the generator. You'll need it once the base hacked, before that it is of course an open door, and you wouldnt leave an open door unguarded would you?

If you destroy the tubes and the base is hacked 2 mins later you then need an engineer to put it right again, which is going to severly hinder your attempty to hang onto your recently captured base!

Shatter

K

Kurfew

Originally posted by Deadmanwalking.
But when they are sitting there say 8 or so and they are not hacking the base just so they can get the kills? Now thats lame

And this im afraid is the all to common event to which you get spawn camped.. :(

no other reason..just lamers taking the easy route to improve
there woefully low kill ratio, as they have trouble getting kills
any other way..

I agree with camping a hacked base as this make perfect sense,
but camping for easy kills is LAME! :whip:

NETRIX <Phoenix Legion> NC Sniper/Infiltrator/Medic/Engineer

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by shatter
Its not that simple. A spawn tube is a recourse just like the generator. You'll need it once the base hacked, before that it is of course an open door, and you wouldnt leave an open door unguarded would you?

If you destroy the tubes and the base is hacked 2 mins later you then need an engineer to put it right again, which is going to severly hinder your attempty to hang onto your recently captured base!

Shatter

Any half decent squad should have an engineer or two.

G

GregorFlambasto

If it aint hacking, exploiting or griefing its fair game. I find it frustrating too but then if it happens once I go elsewhere. All's fair in love and war.

O

old.ivan

Originally posted by Omniscieous
There's no excuse for spawntube camping actually, you can destroy the spawntubes and stop the enemy from appearing at all.

Now consider yourself a general in a military operation do you want to stop the enemy when they are weakest, or simply have no enemy resistance at all?

I would try to minimize casualties on both sides and destroy the respawn tubes right away. Or alternatively kill the generator instead and proceed from there.

Although none of us are saints, i gotta admit i did kill 10 -15 at the respawn, cant say i specifically camped it.
But as someone already said, its valid tactic, however that doesnt make it a respectable one.

S

SilverHood

spawned in a capped base on hossin last night

run out, and there's 30 NC trying to shoot my ass off

I run about like a mad chicken, and kill 2 with my supressor

and that process, I manage to get 7 NC people killed, excluding the 2 I killed, by friendly fire

someone unloaded a rocket rifle secondary fire, and the jackhammers were going mad....

ofc, I died, and didn't bother respawning... but was fun all the same

these days, you really have to blow the gens at a heavily defended base...leaving it powered just asks for it to be resecured

B

bone_idle

I only camp spawn tubes in towers when a squadmate is hacking the tower. Not just to raise my kill tally.

And i really dont see the point of respawning at a hacked base because i have no hacking cert therefore cant get armour/weapons after ive spawned.

O

old.Tbird

/me throws the cat among the pigeons

Well i'm an active spawn camper, not to make my stats look good but because it's actually fun (for me). I'll qualify a little...

Some time ago I had DC Max, nice n00b starter cert, lost it around BR8, at BR15 I managed to get some spare points and gained a Pounder. Now any TR will tell you this is a grief machine, worse than that you kill yourself more than the enemy. This is because they now all know you do splash damage so the standard tactic is employed of rushing straight to my face, I can now a)stop firing while trying to run away (yeah ok :) ) or b)keep firing and hope to kill at least one or two before killing myself. This means our primary infantry killing machine can't be used in a busy building because of grief, is useless outside due to limited range and being a sitting duck, and when it does get a useable spot is subject to killing itself more often than not.

So back to the subject, a small group of us decided that just de-certing is giving up and we need to find the Pounder's niche. Well we found it, we now have 'competitions' to stealth into the hottest enemy tower/base we can find, hack a terminal and hot key in your Pounder. This is actually the best buzz in game to me at the moment, I regularly stealth past a dozen+ outside the tower, shoot the mine at the door and stealth in down to the terminal passing hordes on their way back up. Sure I die loads trying this but I still manage 4-5 hacks a night and each successful hack convinces me the inf suit is worth every cert I spent in it.

Call me lame if you want, but try it once yourself before you do.

Oh and this isn't my entire nights play, this is just something I try when the opportunity arises.

J

Jonaldo

Yeah that's pretty lame :rolleyes:
The aim of the game is to 'hack the bases'

N

-Nuked-

think of this as a rl situation .. would you go and camp the tubes?

i know i would! its the best way to defend what you have

P

[PS]Mung

I think someone earlier stated that it is best to destroy the spawn tubes.
Repair them after the cap.

P

[PS]Venom

Originally posted by [PS]Mung
I think someone earlier stated that it is best to destroy the spawn tubes.
Repair them after the cap.

Actually it's best to let the plebs spawn and slaughter them before they get to the destroyed equipment terminals to bump up the XP in a base. :)

If I get spawn killed I respawn somewhere else. It's a valid tactic, this is war after all.

O

old.ivan

Originally posted by [PS]Venom
Actually it's best to let the plebs spawn and slaughter them before they get to the destroyed equipment terminals to bump up the XP in a base. :)

If I get spawn killed I respawn somewhere else. It's a valid tactic, this is war after all.

Thats where you wrong mate. this is no war. Its but a game .. but i suppose theres different ways of looking at it. My point of view was formed from what ive been told about war, and from where i see it, they [FPS and war] have 2 different objectives .. Survival and the other is all about the Killing .. you guess which one is which :)
Besides number of kills doesnt contribute to the xp gained.. number of total enemies in the soi does.. and respawned folk give 1 xp each .. kind of a small bump :)
But heck to each his own.

O

old.ivan

Sorry if i went a little offtopic :p War is a sensitive subject for me.

Fight on ladies.. Fight on !

P

[PS]Venom

I was being generalistic when I said it's war.

What I was meaning is anything goes, pretty much. Personally I do find it irritating when a spawn room is camped, but I don't get too pissed about it as I'll just spawn somewhere else.

I see what you're saying about the XP for enemies - but if say 20 people spawn and get killed, that's 20 enemies more in the SOI for the time slices than if you cripple the tubes first.

If I camp a spawn room, which is very very rare, I do it to stop the flow of re-inforcements getting out and NOT for the kills. I tend to end up healing the troops in the spawn room rather than shooting people.

B

bone_idle

If we didnt have wars. I'd be out of a job in real life. :(

T

Tenko

Actually, from a purely tactical point of view, without any ethics relating to either fair-play (its a game) or unnecessary killing (its a war) you should leave the spawn tubes un damaged and they should be camped.

1) Repairing uses resources, either NTU's or the time and load out of one of your engineers.

2) Each person who spawned in the tubes is killed and has to re-spawn (elsewhere we assume but hey, some will try the same place again) meaning they are not currently engauged in combat elsewhere.

Therefore the question is how many people should be camping the spawn area, if the number is too many then they could be of much better use elsewhere on the battlefield.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Originally posted by old.ivan
Sorry if i went a little offtopic :p War is a sensitive subject for me.

Fight on ladies.. Fight on !

We stopped camping Leningrad... so knock it off already. :p

T

Tenko

Originally posted by Uncle Sick(tm)

nerf those Panzer MKIV ffs!!!!11

O

old.ivan

Originally posted by [PS]Venom
I was being generalistic when I said it's war.

What I was meaning is anything goes, pretty much. Personally I do find it irritating when a spawn room is camped, but I don't get too pissed about it as I'll just spawn somewhere else.

I see what you're saying about the XP for enemies - but if say 20 people spawn and get killed, that's 20 enemies more in the SOI for the time slices than if you cripple the tubes first.

If I camp a spawn room, which is very very rare, I do it to stop the flow of re-inforcements getting out and NOT for the kills. I tend to end up healing the troops in the spawn room rather than shooting people.

I see what you mean now, i was in a rather bad mood back then. But for the XP thing, i tend to believe its Unique players present in the SOI over period of 25 minutes, ergo if starting number of defenders was 3 full squads and none of them left by the time you got to their respawn tubes, you would get xp as if there were 30 enemies no matter how many times you kill them, if you see what i mean.

O

old.ivan

Originally posted by Uncle Sick(tm)
Yeah and we stopped 'Liberating' Europe :) Btw camping Leningrad in hope i will respawn there is soo lame, i would just spawn as Partisan in some small village next to your camp spot and stop your ANTs :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom