Spain Quakes

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
you lot are generally clever.. now do the quakes in Spain not somehow make you jump up a little and perk and think... oh ffs... ripple effect like we already seen this year with New Zealand.. Japan... triggers other stuff yes?

so.. how come when I tell american friends to keep track of news of this stuff they think its never gonna affect them?

I tried explaining.. well there's half a fucking island just waiting to drop into the sea and it will cause a HUGE tsunami that will hit eastern seaboard of USA.. so maybes watch news a bit closer if you live there..

I just get responses like they are going to stores... buying atlases... looking for other countries outside USA... i.e. not a damn thing yet. and it wont be on their news channels.

Am I being overly cautious here you think? only trying to warn them.. coz it could happen

Ormorof

FH is my second home
not really, they have all happened in very seismically (sp?) active zones, and experience earthquakes every now and then (3 or 4 in the region in spain in last 15 years of around the same size) - and it was the same magnitude as the quake that hit Linconshire/Yorkshire about 2 years ago (5.2)

the only difference this year is they have all hit populated areas (or caused lots destruction)

the amount of damages varies depending on the depth of the quake, the proximity to populated areas, the type of rock/ground above the quake (areas sitting on hundreds of metres thick clay have alot of the shock absorbed for example)

it may be related to some internal shifting in the earths crust or mantle, but not really much we can do about it (and its pretty arrogant to assume that we might be causing it :p )

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Plenty of acitivity every day, nothing new, nothing to panic about.

Same goes with meteor threats.

If sh*t happens, it does and there's nothing you can do about it anyway.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Those are minor quakes, every year detected in the South of Spain.

Yesterday's one were a bit over the norm, but nothing to worry about. Shame about the 2 ppl who died from a falling piece of roof :(

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
May I just bring a minor fact in this conversation? What you choose to do with it, is up to you, but at least it's out there then.

There are approximately 2000 earthquakes per year with a magnitude of 5 or higher.

Just sayin'...

Earthquake Facts and Statistics

Helme

Resident Freddy
Minor earthquakes are nothing, especially to the US. What's going fuck them over(and the rest of the world) is Yellowstone erupting, it's about time now looking at previous intervals.

bainteor

Banned
Minor earthquakes are nothing, especially to the US. What's going fuck them over(and the rest of the world) is Yellowstone erupting, it's about time now looking at previous intervals.

A simple search brings up this quote:

Service scientists with the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory maintain that they "see no evidence that another such cataclysmic eruption will occur at Yellowstone in the foreseeable future."

But I guess we all love a good conspiracy ;).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom