Space Hulk

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I'm rather looking forward to this. So far anyway, it sounds/looks like it will be pretty faithful adaptation. They are describing it like a cross between the original boardgame and Xcom. As usual, we'll see :)

Going by the gameplay trailer, the first mission from the game is the first mission from the original boardgame itself. Nerdgasm! :D

Game webby at http://www.spacehulk-game.com/

screenshot-5.jpg

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
yea been watching this since it was announced, being one of the people who got the boardgame reprint, you could say im rather fond of this :D

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Nice, if its anything like XCOM it will be an insta buy for me.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
reminds me of Laser Squad :D

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I remember playing Space Hulk on the PSX ages ago... BETHOR!... ANIEL!... XEPHOR!

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
SH;VOTBA as it was officially called iirc, was fucking NAILS hard, dont think i ever finished it

was epic tho
and so shiny back then

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Space hulk was great back in the day, although always second to xcom for me.
That said I bought 18 games in summer sale, so fk it, it's either a winter sale purchase +dlc or next summer sale+dlc :p

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Well, Full Control have totally nailed the feel of the board game. Looks, feels and plays just right. I'm about 5 missions in so far and having great fun. Can't say as to how it plays multiplayer or what the longevity will be like. Looks great too. Only gripe so far is the slightly awkward controls at times but mostly they are fine.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Ok, done 3 tutorial + 4 campaign missions.

Anyone expecting an Xcom experience will be disappointed. There's no between-mission setup or customisation as such. You get a squad, you choose which squares they start on, then you go at it. I don't think there's much polish needed, its pretty much there. The issues are niggles, things like you are supposed to be able to tab to select next Terminator, but it sometimes forgets where it is and you have to click on the next Terminator... after which the tab button works again.

Aside from being done on a PC, this *IS* the boardgame. Instead of seeing the dice roll, you see a short combat scene between your terminator and its opponent, properly rendered in real time in the place your guy is standing when the genestealer comes a-knockin'. The shoulder-cam that appears at the top right of the screen is a nice touch - the whole time you're looking down on the map you get a Space Marine's eye view of the action and it shifts as you select different marines.

There's very little fluff in the way of cutscenes and story-setup. You get a short intro, then off to fight the genestealers.

The mission editor is not included in the launch version of the game. Seems that is to follow. There's also no co-op to start off with, that also is to follow. Multiplayer is in, but its 'versus', just like the original boardgame. I kinda pity the Genestealer player if they try the first mission, "Suicide Mission" versus an experienced boardgamer :D

Full Control are planning bigger Space Hulks and other goodies to follow. But hey, who cares about what's promised, its about what you get right out of the box.

Is it fun? Not as gripping as Xcom and not really that many missions. Still a good game so far. Multiplayer will be where its at for long term play. Looking forward to playing with friends.

Aada

Part of the furniture
The price has put me off seems rather expensive.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Downloaded but not played yet, will give it a go over the weekend

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom