Soundtrack albums

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Following on from a thread I started in BW, I now have the following soundtracks:

Donnie Darko
Leon
The Fifth Element
Amelie
Jackie Brown
Kill Bill
The Piano
The Big Lebowski

They're all pretty good, Leon is excellent (Eric Serra), as is Amelie (Yann Tiersen). The Kill Bill soundtrack contains some real corkers. Recommended.

shanks

Fledgling Freddie
Well myself I always prefer the more instrumental soundtracks. Often classical appeals to me. I just find it disturbing when they put in totally unrelated songs with often totally out of context lyrics in between scenes. Some have the taste to not neglect the fact that it's gotta fit though. Some of the soundtracks I have enjoyed are:

Braveheart (maybe not the most varied soundtrack nor original soundtrack ever but I still think it serves it's purpose, if you can stand bagpipes that is)

Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas
Call me mad but I cant help falling in love with everything about this movie, maybe it's my twisted personality that can enjoy a on the surface such bizarre movie so much, since pretty much half of the people I have talked to about it didnt like it, and the other half like me loved it, I think all the songs on the soundtrack really set the mood for the particular scene there in and furthermore brings that scene even more to life, something important that is often forgetten by filmmakers these days. Take for example the cheesy song when he enters the even cheesier hotel corridor. Or the stones in the end.

K-PAX
I cant really explain what got me into likeing this soundtrack, maybe it's because im a big Kevin Spacey fan making me watch it a few more times then I usually do but the soundtrack stuck with me, especially the cab-ride part.

Donnie Darko
I always wondered why "mad world" didnt come as a single earlier.

Ruroni Kenshin OVA (4 part animated japanese miniseries kinda)
Bare with me im going anime on you guys. Maybe it's the general mood and topic of the film or the fact that Im really fascinated by eastern culture and eastern music. It's maybe not the most memorable soundtrack ever but It has grown on me, the problem is getting your hands on the soundtrack legally. It's pretty much a eastern dyed symphony soundtrackSince I have'nt seen the movie itself being distrubieted(spelling?) here in Sweden. Only thing I have seen is the imo childish tv-series being sold here. Ah well, one cannot have everything. On that note I can go a head and mention:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Again, alot of eastern instruments with what I belive is some western once's mixed in it or maybe is it the other way around? Im no musical wiz when it comes to instruments. Very stunning movie stylewise, both sound and vision come together in a nice mix.

Tarantino's movies
All of them have great soundtracks, he really has a nack for picking out interesting tunes

Im running low on soundtracks, maybe it's because it's not the first thing I notice when I see a movie the first time. Most of the soundtracks I have listed have grown on me thru several viewings. But maybe that's how a good soundtrack should work, getting you so interested in the film it does'nt give you room to stop up and listen to the music in the background.

Afx

Fledgling Freddie
Ive always liked the scarface soundtrack, total 80s :)

mank!

Part of the furniture
Tom said:
The Piano
Do you mean The Pianist?

Leon, Donnie Darko, Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas, 24 Hour Party People, Lock Stock/Snatch and Apocalypse Now all have good soundtracks.

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
mank said:
Do you mean The Pianist?

No, he means The Piano.

Generally I find non-original soundtracks to be terrible terrible compilations of songs bought by people who enjoy being told what to feel about a piece of music.

However anything by Moroder or Schifrin will generally float my boat.

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
THe Soundtracks ro Pretty In Pink, and The Breakfast Club were quite good, and the soundtrack to The Acid House (Welsh) is very good too, just for the fact it has The Pastels' 'Nothing To Be Done' on it

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Tom said:
The Piano

Have you heard the full orchestral version of that Tom? My Dad has it round here somewhere, along with a lot of other Michael Nyman pieces - his "After Extra Time" is also very good (in a familiar kind of way) from what I remember.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Right now I'm listening to the Leon soundtrack (its not in Amazon for some reason, but you can find it by googling). Tracks like 'Leon the Cleaner' and 'Feel the Breath' are just stunningly beautiful.

I'm now hunting through every film I've watched to find more gems like the above.

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Blackhawk down, Donnie Darko, Kill Bill, Matrix.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Gladiator & American Beauty, though BHD isn't bad at all.

leggy

Probably Scottish
The donnie darko soundtrack is pish. I was so dissapointed when they released the "music composed for..." version instead of getting the actual songs licensed.

It is totally fragmented and the music isn't even that good. It works for the film but I wouldn't listen to it for enjoyment.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Tom said:
Right now I'm listening to the Leon soundtrack (its not in Amazon for some reason, but you can find it by googling). Tracks like 'Leon the Cleaner' and 'Feel the Breath' are just stunningly beautiful.
My favourites are Two Ways Out, Noon, Leon The Cleaner, The Fight (Part 3 - The Big Weapon) and I like the bonus track Hey Angel too, it's quite funky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom