Sooo how to keep safe?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I have 2 of my accounts memorised and also written dwon, the other 2 accounts are written down in a little black book as well just to be safe. That said, there is only so much you can do to protect your data, any decent hacker will breach Windows and a badly configured firewall, from there they can just install a keystroke logger and you are up shit creek without a paddle. A script kiddie isn't even getting past Zonealarm though so no need for panic ;)

Konah

Fledgling Freddie
set mode +x on irc and/or get a bouncer, they cant hack u if they dont know ur ip

in mirc go: options > connect > options > perform > select quakenet network from dropdown and paste this into the box at bottom:

//mode $me +x

ok > ok etc and ur done. once u reconnect only ircops can find your ip address (easily).

one trick used to circumvent this is to get ppl to open www links to a server the hacker controls, by pasting a link in irc, when u visit the site the web server logs have all your ip adresses ;) so think twice before opening stuff.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Best way:

Memorise them.

If you can't do that, write them down IRL. if you want them in computerised format it gets dodgyer. before I memorised mine I had them on a floppydisk, when I wanted them i put the disk in, checked it and then ejected it.

I am not a fan of copy + pasting passwords around because to be honest I am not certain how secure window's clipboard is.

Takhasis

Can't get enough of FH
Stored on my machine at home, but its behind a NAT'd hardware firewall/router, software firewall on main PC, up-to-date patches, AV etc - regular scans of anti-spyware just to make sure.

One other thing to keep an eye out for - there were some websites about that could pick up your copy/paste buffer using script just by visiting the webpage. (i'm sure there's a few of us just copy/paste the password in).

Check your internet explorer settings for this - there is an option ( i think its "allow paste operations via script" under security options) - just make sure its disabled (or prompt if u wanna see a web page do it)

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
I think when I first got the game I used copy and paste, til I considered the security of it.

It was a pain for a day or two, having to remember that string of numbers and letters. The last few years, though, it takes seconds to type it, it's so second nature now. It really doesn't take long to get used to.

Darzil

Glacier

Fledgling Freddie
Konah said:
set mode +x on irc and/or get a bouncer, they cant hack u if they dont know ur ip

in mirc go: options > connect > options > perform > select quakenet network from dropdown and paste this into the box at bottom:

//mode $me +x

ok > ok etc and ur done. once u reconnect only ircops can find your ip address (easily).

one trick used to circumvent this is to get ppl to open www links to a server the hacker controls, by pasting a link in irc, when u visit the site the web server logs have all your ip adresses ;) so think twice before opening stuff.

Repped, thanks.

soze

I am a FH squatter
If you insist on keeping it digitally put them in a text file and then rename it from a .txt to an .abc or similar and then save it in your start menu or somewhere not on your desktop so if you pc gets hacked there is not a pword.txt on your desktop they can open.

I personally have my game password on my pc and my subs printed.

Konah

Fledgling Freddie
just a note on the +x thing, u need to auth with Q bot before itll work and before u can auth u need to register a nickname etc. once u have registered add this line into the perform box BEFORE the mode +x line:

/msg Q@CServe.quakenet.org auth nickname pass

more info here quakenet.org

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
I have a bnc for irc, i challenge anyone here (aside from forum mods :p) to try find my ip on irc :p

Winner gets a cookie :D

atos

Fledgling Freddie
you can also dcc the user in question and get his/hers IP from there. There are enormus amounts of tricks people could use.

Mani's solution is prob the best I've seen this far. Keep them on a non networked computer.

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Pen and paper wins everytime.

Besides which I always have my doubts about hacked accounts actually coming from hacking but more likely coming from account sharing etc - I doubt there is a legion of hackers out there trying to find codes for DAOC that in the big scheme of things isnt even the biggest mmorpg by any stretch. Why would they waste their time on it when they could be nicking bank account details etc instead - its not even like there is a huge market for DAOC to make money.

Isnt there a statistic that something like 90% of murder victims know their killer, I reckon the same goes for account hacking tbh..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom