Sooo how to keep safe?

MxN

Can't get enough of FH
Well atm my accounts detials are everywhere and anywhere,
the acc's are getting kinda nice and now wanna think about keeping them safe ive change all the pw's incase i lent them out to anyone, anything else i should do.. and wheres the best place too keep the pw's saved on computer?

ty

Wazkyr

One of Freddy's beloved
keep it on paper irl, always the best. I gotta admit i got mine to on my comp, even thou i got them all in the head, but its just quicker copy/pasting it in :)

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
write it down on paper (real cellulose, no photonic paper) or if you're like me and can't read your own handwriting, write it down in word orso, don't save and print, then close without saving :p

Cozak

Part of the furniture
Always an awesome idea making a post about how you share your account on forums GM's read :p

MxN

Can't get enough of FH
Cozak said:
Always an awesome idea making a post about how you share your account on forums GM's read :p

well i didnt say i share acc's, i said just incase i did which is unlicky but its a safe bet mr.smartarse?

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Mxn said:
well i didnt say i share acc's, i said just incase i did which is unlicky but its a safe bet mr.smartarse?

Yeah, no reason that the person who lent me there subs passwords a couple of years ago (not Mxn) so I could pay their subs (as they didn't have a credit card), could know that I'd not kept the details.

So changing it if not certain can't be a problem.

Darzil

Cozak

Part of the furniture
Mxn said:

come again?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
stick um on your desktop in a notepad doc called codes.txt can even call it daoccodes.txt

^ amazing how many people still do that :rolleyes:

write them down and delete the email asap then stick them in your drawer, underpants or wallet

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
- I would change your GOA contact email to a more secure email address maybe ISP address (if you currently have it going to hotmail or something similar)
- Delete any old hotmail emails that might contain your passes
- as said by many above only store on paper in the future
- double check your daoc directories incase you left some old text file containing passes or cd keys or anything like that.

Good luck

judas

One of Freddy's beloved
i have a post it next to me. its realy safe. so feel free to give me your details and ill keep em safe for you.

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
Also if you use a webmail address for your DAoC accounts, make sure that you have a secure password for it and don't have a secret question to retrieve it. Otherwise someone who knows it, if they know you reasonably well could probably guess your password or answer your secret question to get your password, then all they need to do is get a new game password sent to you, check your email before you do and they have access to your account while your password doesn't work anymore. I'd imagine that's how a lot of these 'hacked via hotmail' account scams came about. Social engineering is a lot easier than getting someone to install a keylogger on their machine.

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
encrypt them, if you really need to keep them on your computer

old.windforce

Part of the furniture
i gave my passwords to a friendly dude i met on irc to keep them safe for me

Just don't keep them in your Hotmail maibox and use antivirus, local firewall and keep up to date with patches. Don't click on things you get by e-mail or visit soggy sites and you will be fine keepig it on your pc. Because of my paranoid i keep them in a file which has a strange name and i don't have the words password / account etc in the file.

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
Bugz said:
memorise them? ;)

Personally I have 4 accs in EU daoc together with EQ2,L2,SWG, 2 US daoc acc´s and all credit cards, password to computer, codes to work etc etc so I rather keep them written down somewhere :)-

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Mxn said:
the acc's are getting kinda nice and now wanna think about keeping them safe ive change all the pw's incase i lent them out to anyone, anything else i should do.. and wheres the best place too keep the pw's saved on computer?

ty

Tatoo your daoc password on your penis, then no one will ever see it except you :)

sorry, i like you mxn but could not resist hehe

change your subs password, i know people who bought accounts and later got hacked, The people who sold the account rightnow goa and say "this man stole my account, i prove it cause registered email address is...name of account holder is....persons address is...."

update the whole account and change the email address if you truly want to be safe.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
old.windforce said:
i gave my passwords to a friendly dude i met on irc to keep them safe for me

Just don't keep them in your Hotmail maibox and use antivirus, local firewall and keep up to date with patches. Don't click on things you get by e-mail or visit soggy sites and you will be fine keepig it on your pc. Because of my paranoid i keep them in a file which has a strange name and i don't have the words password / account etc in the file.

Dont lie mvv, we all know you burnt the password into your thigh!

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
From experience at work (trapped one on someone else's PC), one defence against keyloggers can be a decent firewall. Never forget the basics.

This was years ago, before everyone had a firewall. We installed a firewall on all PCs, and then tried to track down everything that was causing unusual firewall hits. Sometimes it was applications, and we had to open them up. On one PC it was a keylogger. Fortunately the victim hadn't done anything financial. Could have got into his airmiles account, and a few other sites with the information, but not much else. It was quite an eye-opener.

Get a decent AV solution, a decent Firewall solution, and keep them both updated.

Darzil

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Mxn said:

ty

as long as you have upto date anti virus and a decent firewall solution you should be relatively safe. do not store your passwords as an attachment in a hotmail account etc as these can be easily compromised.

if paranoid make a small encrypted folder with them in there and just open it when you need to use them.

:m00:

Void959

Fledgling Freddie
I save everything in an encrypted text file, there are plenty of programs you can get to do that. You still have to remember one password to open the file ofc :p

MaditioN

Can't get enough of FH
personally ive keep all my daoc pws in mirc editor xd
easy to make a macro so i just press f12 and get my daoc pass in clipboard

using antivirus and sometimes i launch adaware/hijackthis to check for stuffs

if you dont click links from .jp or .ru and/or other strange links/stuffs, you dont get trojans and other shit on your computer, simple.

but encrypting the passwords are indeed a good choice, going to start with that also i think!

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
I store mine on FH in a thread called ..... phew nearly gave it away then - just store it in a forum that doesnt get many hits - like anything Camlann based....

Malcolm

Can't get enough of FH
I had them written down in foot high letters on the background set of BBC1's Davina chat show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom