Some recommendations please

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Being back on a familiar green site has rekindled my interest in all things FPS. A few years ago it was all I could do to stop playing. I played a lot of Q3, mainly RA3 but also CTF and a little bit of TDM and when it all started to wain in terms of players and clans I lost my interest and stopped playing.

I really want to get into something again which has the same community feel that RA3 did, but nothing I've tried since has really cut the mustard. Has anyone got any good recommendations for something fun with a good community etc.?

It seems that CoD is popular, I've only ever really played it offline, and I had a bit of a blast with Wolf:ET which was fun. Has anyone else felt the hole left since Q3 died off (comparatively flame fans), and what have you done to replace it?

Oh, and not CS, did quite a bit of that too.

buzz

Fledgling Freddie
Qw

Hi,

I've just rejoined the whole online multiplayer thing, and I've tried q3, hl-tfc etc, and the only thing I've really enjoyed 'playing' is quakeworld.

OK, OK, I know it's old, but it does hold the fun factor a lot of the other games now lack.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Urban Terror is a bit pony imo. I have played it too :)
Try CoD, online its great, well to me anyway, it just feels right, and is good fun in the mode of cs, when played as search and destroy, but without all the idiots associated with cs :)

babs

Can't get enough of FH
I played a load of UT a while back, but there were hardly any UK servers, and not many more European ones. I loved that damned level (I forget the name now, something like leningrad, big snipey church tower). I wanted NSQ3 to be bigger than it was, I thought it was a good mod :/

Does CoD have a reasonably big online following and servers populated by post-pubescent people?

babs

Can't get enough of FH
OK, CoD ordered, any pointers in the right direction for places to play? Best channels to idle?

MrBlack

Fledgling Freddie
babs said:
I played a load of UT a while back, but there were hardly any UK servers, and not many more European ones. I loved that damned level (I forget the name now, something like leningrad, big snipey church tower). I wanted NSQ3 to be bigger than it was, I thought it was a good mod :/
Navy Seals has the potential to be brilliant. I know a lot of people think it's a bit pants, but these people are q3 bunny-hoppers and don;t understand why a fully kitted seal in body armour and carrying an M4 can't bounce 300 yards down a hill in 6 seconds. I think the XP system puts a lot of new players off getting into it.

Not that there's anything wrong with bunnyhopping per se, It's part of the reason I play Urban terror. It allows for some fantastic jumps.

Does CoD have a reasonably big online following and servers populated by post-pubescent people?

I think any out-of-box commercial release is going to have an irritating percentage of tossers. You can then triple the percentage if hacked versions of the game can connect to servers. I've no experience with COD, personally, but CS and RTCW:ET suffer from it quite a lot.

I think the biggest problem you face getting into a new FPS is having the patience to get any good at it. The main reason I'm still playing Urban Terror is because it's the first fps I played on-line with any regularity. This strikes me as the _only_ reason anyone still plays CS ;)

I rarely have the patience to attempt to battle my way up the learning cliff of other on-line FPSs.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
I may well pop in, I've had a bit of a laugh playing it the last few days :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom