Some problems

S

Sparda_soul

Well it started when i upgraded my PC ( i think ) DAoC sound skipped / didnt play BGM ect, but i thought it was all part of that bug in that patch, and it being the only game i played on my PC didnt bother about it.
Now im playing FFXI and alot of solo PC games, Halo, the Baldurs Gate series ( just got introduced to em) and the missus is also playin Theme Park World alot.

Well the problem is in FFXI after a fair few hours play ( over 3 but can vary, i can play for 10 hours and not have a problem), it just freezes, the game stops but the BGM still plays, some times i can alt-tab / windows key out and reload the game, others require a full reboot via the reset button (wich i dont like doing). Also its not playing all the sounds it misses some in highly active bits and the BGM can sometimes start skipping like it did in DAoC. I put this down to my PC not being up to scratch for the game and lowered some settings.

Now last night bordom struckso i played Theme park world, and the same thing happened after 10 mins of play just froze needing a full reboot, now i know my system can handle that game i asked me missus if it had happened before and she said it does some times but not often.

Anyways any of you lot know whats happening? System spec below ( taken from dxdaig, need owt else ask me)
------------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp2.030422-1633)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: NVIDIA
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.5GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Page File: 174MB used, 2287MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.0001.0902 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce4 Ti 4600
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (85Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.5216 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled

All drivers up to date ect ect ect

Thanx for the help guys :)
(btw im using a K7 Triton series mobo ( ill get proper name later) wich has Dual channel DDR and is AGPx8, im using an AGPx4 GFX card, could this be the prob? )

S

Sichama

Ok,
1st Did the upgrade you did involve any memory upgrade add?
2nd Change your Page File to 1536 Max, i know Windows XP do this automaticaly, if you have changed it manually, change it back to Auto if not change it manualy.
3rd Check your BIOS if AGPx8 is enabled disable it.

S

Sparda_soul

the upgrade was new mobo ( the one above ) new ram ( old type was incompatible with new mobo) new case and power suply.
agp was on auto, i have now forced 4x

L

-Lonewolf-

What is the wattage on your power supply?

Have you got the latest Nvidia drivers?

Maybe think of going back to older drivers if you have got the new ones?

To me it sounds like an overheating problem when it crashes go into your bios and check your CPU temperature that might be it

Let me know what you get

S

Sparda_soul

350 watt
was using the lastest driver 52.12 i think? reolled back to a 32.xx one to see if it changed and nothing so back on 52.12

Bios say temp is 57-65C after crashes but im running an AMD chip and i thought they like it a bit toasty.

I dont think it can be heat though, some times the PC's only been on 10 mins and i get a crash, the otherday it was on 2 days none stop and not 1 crash

now you meantiong it though, The fan was making a funky noise a few months ago, it was alot louder then usual too. But it back to how it was now.

S

Sichama

Overheating is very possible, easy way to check is if you open the case and put a fan blowing in.

Also double check your memory chips, or take them to the shop to check them.

Any CPU of any company runs the best the cooler its is...just as a rule of thumb, and fix your Page file you might be experiencing memory leek because it's to high.

S

Sparda_soul

fixed the page file earlyer, ta for the tip :)

L

-Lonewolf-

57-65!!! Thats waaaaaaaaaaay to hot

Ok 55 you can get away with but anything above 60 and ur guaranteed thats ur problem u need a more powerful fan or a better heatsink

Better to do that or ur computer will have a short life span

Alternatively get a desk fan and open ur comp up and direct the fan into the computer thats what I do sometimes

Hope that helps mate let know believe me sounds like a temperature issue and with a game like FFXI is very processor intensive

Oh and thats the nightmare of over heating its so erratic its hard to pinpoint I have pulled whole computers apart piece by piece just to find that all that was needed was a stronger fan

D

Danya

Sparda, no chip "likes" it toasty, athlons tend to run fairly hot though. Anything over 60C may cause stability problems (though maximum is actually 90 for most chips).

Users who are viewing this thread