Some newbie questions....

O

old.chesnor

Will begin playing NWN very shortly, just need some newbie questions answered, if you please :)

Can your character play different modules ? i.e. I assume when I start, I roll a character for the official campaign. When that character has developed, is he able to play other modules (specifically community created modules) or would I need to roll a new character ?

Is character advancement as painfully slow and tedious as say, daoc ?

How many characters are you able to roll ?

Is there any evidence of hacking or cheating (as I assume characters will be stored locally, rather than on a server) ?

Are there any classes that are considered 'gimped' or 'uber' ?

Is there pie ?

Apologies if these questions are foolishly stupid, answered in the official FAQ or elsewhere on this board, but I am terribly lazy.

N

nocte

there are 2 types of character.

you have your local one which u can use for your single player and u can migrate it to play online (only if the server accepts local characters).

and u have a server character, this character can only be played on the server that u created it on, it is like on Diablo 2, u had you open and closed realms. Local is like Open, and Server is like Closed.

I usually play on local servers as i had a pretty high lvl character from single player, i have yet to run into any cheaters, or UBER players. My advice if you ran into one is to leave the server and try one where there are no illegal chars, tedious i know, but looking for a cheat free game these days always is.

Or you can start a character on a server, as the characters are stored server side people cant edit them. The down side to this is you can only play that character on that server.

afaik you can create as many characters as you please.

and as for the pie... cherry and pecan :D

I LIEK PIE!!!111

hope this kinda helps, i have prolly repeted some stuff :)

nocte

N

Nightchill

It's very easy to cheat on servers that allow local vaults. All you need to do is make your own module with every item you want, make you invulnerable to every damage type etc. etc. I wouldn't say it was uncommon :p

Bear in mind various servers that are Server Vault only draw from the same pool. Chances are if you're on XXXXX Server 1 (for levels 1-6) you can use the same server vault character on XXXXX Server 2 (for levels 7-12).

And levelling is extremely quick :)

P

- Pathfinder -

Originally posted by Nightchill

And levelling is extremely quick :)

You obviously never played HCR with monsters giving no XP etc :)

L

Louster

So basically to sum it all up - everything essentially depends on how the server's set up. (Except for the fact that the toolset/game design is terrible and restrictive and some rules will either never be changed because they can't or will otherwise be altered only through horrible ugly hacks.)
But look, most of your questions seem to assume that the game's like DAoC. It isn't. Gurgh.
I'm just bitter that they screwed up the editor so comprehensively, getting an incredible balance between lack of usability and lack of power. Blerp.

O

old.chesnor

<warning contains potentially offensive ignorance of ad&d, please don't flame>

Having a ball playing throught the official campaign. I have rolled a finesse fighter, I think he's doing okay but I have a question about critical on weapons.

My Rapier has a 18-20/x3 critical. Does this mean a 20s dice is rolled and if it is 19 or 20, my dmg is multiplied by 3?

Also, some weapons like a Battleaxe is listed as x3 critcal. This doesn't fit with my pidgin ad&d description above.

Please enlighten me, as I really want to rely on those criticals so I need to understand it.

Also, any general links for the ad&d rules might be nice, so I don't spam here with newbie questions and annoy everyone :)

N

Nightchill

Hehe, well, for starters it's not ad&d. NWN is based on 3e (3rd Edition D&D). So what you might say? 3e was a complete revamp of 2nd ed. AD&D.

Anyway:
- 18-20/x2 means on an 18,19,20 you do "double" (you actually roll twice, not double one roll) damage
- 19-20/x2 means on a 19,20 you do double
- x3 refers to it being only a 20 (so same as 20/x3) and it does triple damage on a 20.

The 3e rules are part of a system known as "D20". The idea of this is to centralise some sort of rpg rules. Previously each different rpg manufacturer had their own set of rules. So if you wanted to learn a new game, you had to learn a whole new set of rules. Now many (all the leading ones at least) manufacturers have switched to a standardish d20 ruleset with D&D leading the way. The d20 rules are openlicense and can be had here:

http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/srd.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom